Women fair game?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

BurlyBeaR

Registered Shopper
Very interesting to see the reaction to presenter criticism on here and on Facebook. It seems that the women come in for much more stick than the men. My recent forays into the QVC Facebook page are showing that a lot of the same opinions are held there as here, but a post about Charlie yesterday generated more support for him than I've ever seen for any of the female presenters. I think if I try anything with Dale I'll get lynched! :giggle:

Craig is probably the least popular male on ST.com but the amount of criticism he gets is nothing compared to what we see for JR, CH, JF, AD etc.

So, on a forum which is used primarily by women, it's the women who get the roughest ride. Is it true that there's no such thing as a "sisterhood" and that women will happily tear each other to shreds with one hand, while applying lipstick and cooking their man's Sunday dinner with the other? Do women consider other women to be "fair game"?

Women bitch about each other a lot. I've worked a fair amount in all female offices and they tend to have cliques and they often gang up on individuals who do not fit in with their views. Have spent the last 20 years mainly in male dominated environments and these are preferable except for promotion and pay rises.

I think we see a lot more of the female presenters as there are more of them and they are on more often,so by default they get more comment.
The male presenters in the main are more interested in discussing the products and not talking about themselves.

Not only are there more women on QVC and on this forum but there is more to criticise in women - hair style, hair colour, makeup, fashion etc etc. Men dont tend to change styles often and a suit is a suit - hard to get wrong and we point it out when they do. Just yesterday there was mention in a thread about Simons unusual style!

I used to work with almost all women and the themes were the same there as here. I now work in an all male environment and believe me they bitch just as much as women just about other things - footballers, football managers, technology, customers etc

I agree BB. At work, I am in an all female environment, and I am always the "homeless" one, who gets on with everyone on a superficial level, and am not part of any clique. I think I am in the minoriry though, I have a very masculine way of thinking, or so my more sensitive husband says!

Although I don't do facebook, I think women have a tendency to be dreadful to each other. However, male or female, there are just some personalities who are like that, looking for an excuse to be nasty, like vultures around a dying animal. I think it says more about them than it does about their target.

On the other thread about presenters, I know that many positives were said about the women. Only Craig and Debbie Greenwood seem to come out without much praise at all.

Well I dont like to discrimnate, Ill pick the sh$t out of anyone for a cheap laugh:sun:
Very interesting to see the reaction to presenter criticism on here and on Facebook. It seems that the women come in for much more stick than the men. My recent forays into the QVC Facebook page are showing that a lot of the same opinions are held there as here, but a post about Charlie yesterday generated more support for him than I've ever seen for any of the female presenters. I think if I try anything with Dale I'll get lynched! :giggle:

Craig is probably the least popular male on ST.com but the amount of criticism he gets is nothing compared to what we see for JR, CH, JF, AD etc.

So, on a forum which is used primarily by women, it's the women who get the roughest ride. Is it true that there's no such thing as a "sisterhood" and that women will happily tear each other to shreds with one hand, while applying lipstick and cooking their man's Sunday dinner with the other? Do women consider other women to be "fair game"?

Men are just as bad as women in my experience, especially in the workplace. They would never admit it though as, apart from a few other men, it's always seems to be women they're bitching about!

I think a lot of the comments made on this thread by women, about women, are quite harsh, and
sometimes i don't like it. Women's hair, their skinny frame, personal remarks which i don't think
are nice. No one is perfect, and to be honest, i'd hate to meet some of the forum members, as i'd
be wondering what they were thinking about my hair, figure, etc etc. Criticism is okay, but not
at the cost of someones feelings. We all get hurt, and i try and see the good in everyone.

I think you're wrong Burlz! Charlie seems to come in for an inordinate amount of stick! Creepy, slimy fawning etc are just a few of the tags he's been labelled with. I think he's criticized just as much if not more than the women presenters and I stuck up for him because I like him and every time he is criticized I rush to his defense!
Connie_runner.gif
LOL. Craig gets a tonne of criticism and even Julian has his detractors!
As has been said there's just more to criticize about women. Namely make-up, hair etc. If I'm wrong and the gals do come in for more stick, maybe it's natural to criticize those that are most like yourself as the 'faults' are closer to home.

I think a lot of the comments made on this thread by women, about women, are quite harsh, and
sometimes i don't like it. Women's hair, their skinny frame, personal remarks which i don't think
are nice. No one is perfect, and to be honest, i'd hate to meet some of the forum members, as i'd
be wondering what they were thinking about my hair, figure, etc etc. Criticism is okay, but not
at the cost of someones feelings. We all get hurt, and i try and see the good in everyone.

a woman after my own heart Sparkly - I don't like it either, it's not nice, it's not necessary and God only knows what remarks I'd get if I put my mugshot up here!

a woman after my own heart Sparkly - I don't like it either, it's not nice, it's not necessary and God only knows what remarks I'd get if I put my mugshot up here!
Im not saying im innocent, probably said lots of personal things, but i've just read a few things lately and thought "oh harsh", so im going
to try and not be too personal about appearances , in future. QVC on the other hand is another matter LOL

There once was a little boy who had a bad temper. His father gave him a bag of nails and told him that every time he lost his temper, he must hammer a nail into the back of the fence. The first day the boy had driven 37 nails into the fence. Over the next few weeks, as he learned to control his anger, the number of nails hammered daily gradually dwindled down. He discovered it was easier to hold his temper than to drive those nails into the fence.

Finally the day came when the boy didn't lose his temper at all. He told his father about it and the father suggested that the boy now pull out one nail for each day that he was able to hold his temper. The days passed and the young boy was finally able to tell his father that all the nails were gone.

The father took his son by the hand and led him to the fence. He said, "You have done well, my son, but look at the holes in the fence. The fence will never be the same. When you say things in anger, they leave a scar just like this one. You can put a knife in a man and draw it out. It won't matter how many times you say I'm sorry, the wound is still there.
--------------------------------------------------
It's like if you can't say something good about someone don't say anything at all. A friend of mine once asked me if I could go all day without criticising someone. Easy I said - you try it, very very difficult.

We're all a bit guilty though :blush:

Well I wish I was so squeaky clean. Ive overheard bitchy remarks about my looks plenty of times and couldnt care less, its human nature. I wouldnt dream of telling someone they look a mess in person unless they asked my advice as Its not for me to do, but I cant see the harm discussing it here. It obviously doesnt have any impact cos none of them change anything.

Well I feel quilty now (wont last though):wink:
There once was a little boy who had a bad temper. His father gave him a bag of nails and told him that every time he lost his temper, he must hammer a nail into the back of the fence. The first day the boy had driven 37 nails into the fence. Over the next few weeks, as he learned to control his anger, the number of nails hammered daily gradually dwindled down. He discovered it was easier to hold his temper than to drive those nails into the fence.

Finally the day came when the boy didn't lose his temper at all. He told his father about it and the father suggested that the boy now pull out one nail for each day that he was able to hold his temper. The days passed and the young boy was finally able to tell his father that all the nails were gone.

The father took his son by the hand and led him to the fence. He said, "You have done well, my son, but look at the holes in the fence. The fence will never be the same. When you say things in anger, they leave a scar just like this one. You can put a knife in a man and draw it out. It won't matter how many times you say I'm sorry, the wound is still there.
--------------------------------------------------
It's like if you can't say something good about someone don't say anything at all. A friend of mine once asked me if I could go all day without criticising someone. Easy I said - you try it, very very difficult.

We're all a bit guilty though :blush:

women hate very confident women it seems. thats why julia roberts gets a lot of flack.

No, women tend to dislike affected women, theres a difference. I love seeing and being friends with beautiful, confident women.

♬When I was a kid about half past three
My ma said "Daughter, come here to me"
Said things may come, and things may go
But this is one thing you ought to know...

Oh 't ain't what you do it's the way that you do
it
'T ain't what you do it's the way that you do it

'T ain't what you do it's the way that you do it

That's what gets results ♫

Really interesting post BB and I think the timing, given that it's Remembrance Sunday, will have Given a few of us something to think about.

I think men are just as capable of being hurtful about their own and the fairer sex, and you are rather assuming that the persona we hide behind indicates whether we are male or female - you may be surprised! But on the male presenter front I think in general there is less material to play with for the men, their hair is just their hair - who really cares whether it's grey or brown, it seems to matter more to women, how many tight fitting outfits do they wear, their makeup is practically non existent, and when they speak no one expects them to be gentile so the hard sell seems to be a bit more acceptable.
Lets face it most of them fade into the background a bit and the ones that don't do get some comments on here.

So maybe the moral is that if you are being discussed at least you are making an impression and are being watched!

I am guilty as charged. I have never made any secret of the fact that I cannot stand Jill Franks or Charlie. Charlie, because i find him creepy with his slow voice and hand movements and Jill Franks for reasons too long to mention. I also stand by my comments on Allison's outfit on the TSV launch. I do think the outfit was awful and made her look years older.

I certainly am not going to stop voicing my opinions, why should I? This is a forum for goodness sake. We all have different views and there are many opinions I do not agree with on here. I am not at all bothered if no-one agrees with me.

Latest posts

Back