Why can't QVC do nice US brands?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Huggles

Registered Shopper
Okay...QVC are an American organisation, I get that. I've been told that this is why they promote US clothing, I get that too. Why then, can't they bring us a variety of American clothing that is quite hard to find here but desirable? Instead we get Susan Graver, Kim & Co (Canadian, I know), Quacker factory, Dreamkeeper, George Simonton and Indigo Moon, to mention a few. What I'd really be interested in and very happy to buy would be...Abercrombie & Fitch, Donna Koran, OLD NAVY, Levi Strauss and Ralph Lauren. I'm sure I'm not the only one who'd be interested in buying with this selection of clothing. What they have in common is casual,classic cuts in a selection of fabrics that are not 100% acrylic. Wouldn't that be great! The price points aren't that disimilar either from their dreary old US selections they keep churning out at the moment.

I have been saying this for years. How about Liz Claiborne ? anything but this absolutely vile stuff. They will soon know and realise when they get so many returns and people are starting to get wise now. What is with this dream keeper table cloths stuff ? Markon are notorious for sizing problems and they must get a lot of returns. Suan Graver is just awful and I have not seen anything today that i would wear apart from Kipling.
Americans have always lacked style compared to European women. It seems that fashion is not important in the USA and its rare to see anyone smart outside of New York. I have dual nationality and so have lived both in New York and in England .:43:

PS. How about and Irish , English, Welsh and Scottish flag on here ? :32::42:

I doubt those brands would want to sell through QVC.

These brands are hardly exclusive and sell to the mass market through a variety of outlets including the internet. Is my money not good enough for them? Lola Rose has a reputation for high end shoppers such as the rich and famous but she sells on QVC. I think if QVC were to use these brands they would begin to lose their prejudiced reputation as highlighted in the post 'QVC Times Article'.

I believe if QVC approached these companies and promoted their ability to reach the target demographic of busy professionals (of which it appears, the majority on this forum are) why wouldn't they want to use it? I think there is a mistaken prejudice that QVC customers are not worthy of certain products. I'm sure there is a huge market for them out there. Why wouldn't these companies not want to expand and increase their profits?

That's the frustrating thing about QVC. They have an easy, efficient ordering system, they reach so many of in our homes - all adding up to an easy shopping experience - but they fail so much by the actual products being carp!!! You just get the impression there's masses of junk out there just needing to be shifted, and not being able to be shifted except by the eerily seductive, hypnotic QVC method. Meanwhile, we consumers are so often just lured in and sold a pup - and we wake up and realise it and want sooooo much more: because we actually deserve better!! Don't get me wrong, there are some good products on QVC (eg lock-n-lock, sterling silver jewellery: plentiful, good design and well priced), but to find the good stuff means massive cherry-picking, and major avoidance of so much else. Imo, QVC survives by an endless roll-over of hooking-in new viewers, who go mad for a while, them wake up - the profits are obviously still being made, so they don't, in fact, HAVE to change for the better. But I wish they would...

These brands are hardly exclusive and sell to the mass market through a variety of outlets including the internet. Is my money not good enough for them? Lola Rose has a reputation for high end shoppers such as the rich and famous but she sells on QVC. I think if QVC were to use these brands they would begin to lose their prejudiced reputation as highlighted in the post 'QVC Times Article'.

I believe if QVC approached these companies and promoted their ability to reach the target demographic of busy professionals (of which it appears, the majority on this forum are) why wouldn't they want to use it? I think there is a mistaken prejudice that QVC customers are not worthy of certain products. I'm sure there is a huge market for them out there. Why wouldn't these companies not want to expand and increase their profits?

Perhaps, but a lot of people would not be able to afford them - or fit in to their clothes! While QVC's fashion brands might not always be to everyone's taste, at least most of us can afford to indulge and find something we can get our less than skinny bottoms into!

I'm a size 14 to 16, which I understand to be the average UK ladies size, so I wouldn't say I was small but I haven't seen anything that appeals to me on QVC. As for the cost...I see some of the prices for Kim and Co and wouldn't buy them at half the price for what they are (100% acrylic). I'd pay a lot more, though, for something I thought I'd get good wear from and contained natural fibres. I'm not saying stop selling their usual brands (they obviously have their fans)...what I'm saying is, can't they do something that appeals to people like me...Mrs Average who doesn't like acrylics with embelishments.

I just wanted to add that if you are strapped for cash, you'd be able to get something you wouldn't normally buy on easy pay!

Last edited:
I have just reviewed the entire days products and apart from the bags, I would not buy one single item ! the vilest thing has to be a dreamkeeper shawl with silver trim and a beige ruffle.

The did sell Gerry Weber for a while but it disappeared.

With fashion would donna karan etc want to appear with cracker factory etc?
Doubt it very much.

Did someone ask at one of the customer days about the fashion? They where told it was dictated by QVC US, which is still the parent company to QVC UK.

Yes Donna, that was me that asked about their lack of UK designed clothing. I know Pippa said they are tied to the US lines but why on earth do their buyers choose these niche manufacturers? If they are choosing US manufactures why can't they be more up-to-date in their choices? I wished I'd had a chance to find out. Maybe they should get rid of their buyers. The only clothes I have bought were two shirts from 'The Perfect White Shirt' company (in the clearance section) and a Beth Tyrell washable suede coat for three easy pays. I am a considered buyer when it comes to QVC clothing as there are so few things I see that I could wear happily.

Yes Donna, that was me that asked about their lack of UK designed clothing. I know Pippa said they are tied to the US lines but why on earth do their buyers choose these niche manufacturers? If they are choosing US manufactures why can't they be more up-to-date in their choices? I wished I'd had a chance to find out. Maybe they should get rid of their buyers. The only clothes I have bought were two shirts from 'The Perfect White Shirt' company (in the clearance section) and a Beth Tyrell washable suede coat for three easy pays. I am a considered buyer when it comes to QVC clothing as there are so few things I see that I could wear happily.

I think much of what they sell anyway is "niche"; high-end skin care and cosmetics - some of which is exclusive to the QVC, unusual gemstones you don't get in H Samuel etc. Brands such as Levi are reasonably accessible on the high street anyway and perhaps QVC are looking to offer something a bit different to high street brands. Having said that, as someone who craves trendy clothes in larger sizes I would love them to have something from a US high street store called Lane Bryant (not the catalogue version, but a great, trendy, funky range of clothing for all sizes). Love that shop.

I'd love to see Donna Karan on QVC. She doesn't just design for skinny minnies and her stuff is really wearable. I'd also love to see Old Navy come over to the UK. Not just on QVC but everywhere.

There are simply hundreds of great brands in the USA and having looked at the German and Japanese qvc site , they do seel fashion that is made for the women in those countries that is not from America.
On another note, I have just done the regular Monday sweep of my teenage daughters bedrooms and swept up about 50 items of clothing that had been thrown at random all over the place ( who would have teenage girls lol) and noticed that a few items that were from primark have Denim and co on the label. They used to sell Denim and co im sure of it on qvc some years ago now and still do in the usa and Germany. So, how come they are also selling it in Primark ?:33:
Its actually extremely good quality for primark and its a couple of those velour suits and some jeans and a sweatshirt, it has also not fallen to bits:1:
I hate Primark, not because im a snob but its usually tat. I also read that casual and co was the same as Denim and co. Not sure whats happened there. I also can`t see the likes of major designers selling on QVC. They did Fenn Wrights and manson, Gerry Webber and i think they have Betty Barclay and Liz Claiborne luggage. I just want natural fibres. Because of my illness i cant wear man made fibre or acrylic stuff and im not into shawls and nylon fringes etc.

There are simply hundreds of great brands in the USA and having looked at the German and Japanese qvc site , they do seel fashion that is made for the women in those countries that is not from America.
On another note, I have just done the regular Monday sweep of my teenage daughters bedrooms and swept up about 50 items of clothing that had been thrown at random all over the place ( who would have teenage girls lol) and noticed that a few items that were from primark have Denim and co on the label. They used to sell Denim and co im sure of it on qvc some years ago now and still do in the usa and Germany. So, how come they are also selling it in Primark ?:33:
Its actually extremely good quality for primark and its a couple of those velour suits and some jeans and a sweatshirt, it has also not fallen to bits:1:
I hate Primark, not because im a snob but its usually tat. I also read that casual and co was the same as Denim and co. Not sure whats happened there. I also can`t see the likes of major designers selling on QVC. They did Fenn Wrights and manson, Gerry Webber and i think they have Betty Barclay and Liz Claiborne luggage. I just want natural fibres. Because of my illness i cant wear man made fibre or acrylic stuff and im not into shawls and nylon fringes etc.

Denim & co is acutally called Casual & CO here

some of you have referred to gerry weber in this post, i love gerry weber clothes and whilst qvc brought some to us, they never really showed us the best, and prices were ott imo

anyone interested german towns all have a gerry weber with good value and large range, or if you want more of a bargain they have a factory shop between guetersloh and bielefeld germany google gerry weber for info.

i travel over once a year and stock up from the factory shop, 40€ for a top quality winter coat €60 for a business suit well worth the travel and hotel costs :)

also add to abve most gerry weber clothes are made in germany and most good quality fabrics though not all natural fibres tbh

I find it odd that they sell high quality moisturisers at £75 a jar and gold necklaces for £500+ but when it comes to clothes, everything is acrylic and polyester and market stall. The same customers presumably watch both skincare and fashion.

I think it comes down to profits - if everything's elasticated and one-size-fits-all there are fewer returns.

houserabbit you made me splurp coffee all over my pc with the 'elasticated waist one size fits all' image

you are spot on with your observation :32: and a clever ploy cy qvc

Hi Iamasmall (wish is was lol) I agree with Gerry Weber, its excellent quality stuff.:21:

Latest posts

Back