Where is the value?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

babytoes

Registered Shopper
I thought the V in QVC was for value, I was looking at the Benefit Dallas blusher in Boots and on QVC and when you add the postage that QVC charge the price is identical. Plus you get points with Boots. I know you can return it to QVC which is a bit of a bonus but it still costs you two lots of postage. Talking of which I sent something back yesterday and it cost £1.46 they charged £3.45 for sending it to me.:33:

Well it isn't always V for value, you do have to check carefully the prices and I often find things cheaper on ebay (especially for Benefit make up as my daughter loves that) or even other sites. Always makes me laugh when they say if you bought all this seperately it would cost blah! but you wouldn't want all those bits -so why bother. You end up with a load of tat, that you never use.

Mmmm I agree. I have decided to keep telling myself that although a kit might be really good value - it only is if you will use (or sell) all of the items in order to get the benefit of the price you've paid. I bought the last Laura Geller kit with the light foundation which I thought would be fairly safe. Have been merrily wearing it until a make up artist asked me who recommended that colour as he thought it was a really strange shade and had far too much pink in it so was making me look even paler than I am!! Needless to say it's now going to go in the bin!

I want to shout at the screen when they do a LE show. If you watched, and bought a cleanser, and then saw the toner, and then saw the moisturiser and only then saw the kit - you would saddle yourself with enough p and p charges to keep your the food cupboard stocked for a week. Even if buying a single item QVC charge higher than a whole delivery from LE. Yes, there is the MBG, but from my reckoning about half of their average p and p charge must go on their insurance re returned items.

Grrrr!!!

totally agree Snuffles, I don't buy LE from QVC any more it's much cheaper if you only want one or two items to buy from LE, and you always get a little free gift. I've been with QV for years and spent no end and I didn't even get a card this year.

To charge separate p&p for each item is ridiculous, and I don't see how they can sustain that for very much longer, particularly with people becoming more internet savvy. I now buy most of my beauty stuff from other online suppliers and pay one lot of p&p for the whole order. Most places also have free p&p if you spend a certain amount, and I've noticed that free p&p is increasingly being offered regardless of the total spend. Surely this makes sense in the current economic climate.

I agree iclaudipuss when you look at Ideal World craft shows they often have free p&p all weekend or buy what you like for a set amount of postage. I think unless they do something, with people getting more concerned about where their money is going, they will loose out big time

To charge separate p&p for each item is ridiculous, and I don't see how they can sustain that for very much longer, particularly with people becoming more internet savvy. I now buy most of my beauty stuff from other online suppliers and pay one lot of p&p for the whole order. Most places also have free p&p if you spend a certain amount, and I've noticed that free p&p is increasingly being offered regardless of the total spend. Surely this makes sense in the current economic climate.

I would second that.

It is a major negative both in terms of environmental friendliness (ie waste of packaging) and cost (extortionate) - FOR SECOND CLASS AT THAT!

I always thought that having stuff pre-packed must have been done in the interests of time, but, with the exception of some jewellery items, they are so ****** slow getting stuff out (compared with virtually every other online retailer) that that explanation does not hold up. So the ONLY remaining reason to carry on with the daft shipping arrangement must be because they are making a profit on it.

Totally agree on all points.

Thing is now I watch QVC to see what's new (especially in beauty etc), see it demo-ed to which I then surf the net to see if I can get it anywhere cheaper, which is nearly always the case.

Apart from the odd TSV or kit I hardly buy anything off QVC these days - can nearly always source products cheaper elsewhere :13:

I managed to get the 2 sets of Maya Road ribbons and tags (£11 each) from the craft outlet..but forked out £6.90 p&p,:54: will wait to see if the 2 sets arrive in one bag and will call CS if they do..am sure the real cost would be more like £1.50 for BOTH items...but it was a good saving on them! :9: Am cutting back on a lot of the qvc stuff....just way to much on the p&p, especially on lighter items.

daydreamer

I'm Benefit Crazy, I buy it from The Benefit Cosmetic shop though, you get a kind of reward card which they stamp, when you spend £200 you get £20 off, which is pretty cool.

Last time I was in there my Mum got me some presents and she got 10% off everything she bought

Apart from the odd TSV or kit I hardly buy anything off QVC these days - can nearly always source products cheaper elsewhere :13:

Likwise - have just looked at my QVC account and in the last 6 months I have bought 2 L'Occitane sets from beauty day because of the 3 x EP, a set of the BCC headphones, a microfibre mop and the L'Occitane and Smashbox TSV's - that's it, I used to buy a lot more than this.

There are several reasons i've stopped using QVC but by far the biggest is the rip off P&P, as I see it they are charging me a small fortune to cover losses they make on other people and that isn't right.

IMO free postage or a postage cap (ie order as much as you like in one go for one amount) is becoming the norm on the internet now, even on other shopping channels. Not only do QVC not offer such deals but they also charge ridiculously high amounts.

QVC seem to refuse to move with the times or make any effort to offer their customers something to keep them loyal, I think this is remarkably shortsighted and it annoys me so much that I actually enjoy not giving them my money!

Sorry - rant over lol :54:

QVC is good value for some things. Like last clicks on thier website, OTO's, TSV's. And also if something breaks after a year after you have bought it you can get a full refund, like I did with my swivel sweeper. I also like thier beauty demonstrations and like to see whats new as well. On the other hand Liz Earle is better value on her website as you can choose excatly what you want, so the p&p can be lower, plus the free gift. Ebay is much cheaper for OPI and SBC. And I find QVC's delivery can be slower than elsewhere. Their p&p needs to be lower though.

Likwise - have just looked at my QVC account and in the last 6 months I have bought 2 L'Occitane sets from beauty day because of the 3 x EP, a set of the BCC headphones, a microfibre mop and the L'Occitane and Smashbox TSV's - that's it, I used to buy a lot more than this.

There are several reasons i've stopped using QVC but by far the biggest is the rip off P&P, as I see it they are charging me a small fortune to cover losses they make on other people and that isn't right.

IMO free postage or a postage cap (ie order as much as you like in one go for one amount) is becoming the norm on the internet now, even on other shopping channels. Not only do QVC not offer such deals but they also charge ridiculously high amounts.

QVC seem to refuse to move with the times or make any effort to offer their customers something to keep them loyal, I think this is remarkably shortsighted and it annoys me so much that I actually enjoy not giving them my money!

Sorry - rant over lol :54:

Fraggle, I couldn't agree more. The p&p charged is astronomical and often takes the total price to well above the cost elsewhere.
As you say, QVC seem to be stuck in a groove and they obstinately refuse to change things which are just wrong. How on earth can they justify separate postage charges for each and every item purchased? And then, to add insult to injury, they spout that if you order two of the exact same item to go to the same address, you will ONLY pay half of the second p&p! Gosh, that's good of them, isn't it? They do spoil us, I must say....

The postage is completely riddiculous and what annoys me about QVC is when they charge EXACTLY the same price for things ie Bobbi Brown and then charge P&P on top so its actually more expensive to buy from them grrrrrrrrr!! I just go to department store for BB now!!

LE website is also much better to buy products from as you pay £3 (i think or something small) for all the products instead of £4 or £5 for each thing from QVC. It annoyed me when I bought the last LE TSV and bought a normal and then a dry one and didn't get cheaper postage as they were not exactly the same product - grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!

I tend now just to buy beauty TSV's and not individual items, instead I'll look on ebay etc.

Value aside, the Quality of items seems to be suspect aswell.....so that leaves Convenience and with delayed deliveries for many people that ain't all it's cracked up to be. :33:

The Canon Ixus camera that was shown last night is £252.84 on QVC but is available elsewhere for around £200. Eeek!

Latest posts

Back