Whatever happened to...?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I always used to have problems with Easiyo not setting until recently when someone on QVC said what they do is fill the clear container to the line mark with tap water, put the Easiyo packet in and shake it up well, then top off to about half an inch from the screw mark with boiling water, shake again, screw the lid back on and put in the red container filled with water to about an inch above the dip line and that works for me. Keep it in the covered red container overnight or however long you need and I don't get too much liquid at the end. I don't know why they don't say that at every demo of the product. I made the mistake once of not filling up the red container with boiling water to an inch or so above the dip line (ie where it goes down) and it set, but not as well. Hope this helps.
That’s really interesting. I must say, I do put more boiling water in the flask than they suggest, in cold weather anyway. I wouldn’t have added that much warm water, or actually boiling water, to the pot/yoghurt itself, though. I will give that a go. As you say, why tell us different before?

I meant to say, sometimes, even after just the 8 hours the instructions say to leave it to set, the water in the flask is nearly cold. It should stay quite warm in the flask, shouldn’t it? I am careful to tighten it well so I wondered if my flask was on its last legs. I have been known to tip some flask water away and top it up with boiling water again, which they also say is a no-no, but it usually helps! Once, the resulting yoghurt was a bit cottage cheese-y, however, so maybe I literally cooked it! I still used it as it didn’t taste bad at all!

Seems “give anything a go” is the order of the day.

Beth Terrell. One of the many talented and professional US designers/presenters prolific on QVC UK in its heyday. Sadly those days are long since gone.
Thank you, it was bugging me as I normally have a good memory for names. Agree that it sad they no longer sell any decent stuff nowadays. They now sell too much expensive tat IMHO.

That’s really interesting. I must say, I do put more boiling water in the flask than they suggest, in cold weather anyway. I wouldn’t have added that much warm water, or actually boiling water, to the pot/yoghurt itself, though. I will give that a go. As you say, why tell us different before?

I meant to say, sometimes, even after just the 8 hours the instructions say to leave it to set, the water in the flask is nearly cold. It should stay quite warm in the flask, shouldn’t it? I am careful to tighten it well so I wondered if my flask was on its last legs. I have been known to tip some flask water away and top it up with boiling water again, which they also say is a no-no, but it usually helps! Once, the resulting yoghurt was a bit cottage cheese-y, however, so maybe I literally cooked it! I still used it as it didn’t taste bad at all!

Seems “give anything a go” is the order of the day.
I make mine as instructed (in my very old flask) then I put it in the airing cupboard and cover it with a towel. It always sets and the water is usually still warm.

Trouble is I’ve forgotten about it many times as I can’t see it 😄 so I always set a reminder on my phone now!

I make mine as instructed (in my very old flask) then I put it in the airing cupboard and cover it with a towel. It always sets and the water is usually still warm.

Trouble is I’ve forgotten about it many times as I can’t see it 😄 so I always set a reminder on my phone now!
That’s a good idea, wrapping the flask in a towel for added insulation. Something else for me to try, especially in winter.

Funnily enough, I set alarms on my phone to remind me to check on the yoghurt as well.

I liked the man that used to do the Christmas musical boxes and also the wee man that used to do the Closienne jewellery and also the lady that did Oriental charms - Rosie Kwan? Surati was different class and also that American lady that did the silver turquoise jewellery, oh and Susie Bjontegaard. Those were the days.

CC

I still have two Suarti pieces, a bracelet and an ankle chain. Both beautifully made, quite heavy with lots of silver. Not all that expensive either, if I remember correctly.

The Mojave Magic man passed away a few years ago. I read the QVC US forums.

Birkenstocks are big again but very expensive now.

I always loved the look of Murano glass jewellery but never bought as I thought it might smash when wearing.

Ecotan no longer exists, well some on Amazon but not the clear self tan anymore.

I still have two Suarti pieces, a bracelet and an ankle chain. Both beautifully made, quite heavy with lots of silver. Not all that expensive either, if I remember correctly.
I remember there was some sort of scandal with Suari. Yes, it turned out she used cheap labour to make the jewellery, Chinese workers in Bali paid very little. It was after that she disappeared from QVC.

Yes, she always said her jewellery was made by the occupants of an entire village, and often showed a video . I always had the impression that she treated them like slaves, and would turn up every so often to crack the whip! The jewellery was beautiful though.

It took me a long time to get into Birkenstocks & have a couple of pairs which I wear all the time around the house.QVC used to have a great selection, now when you can find them the range is much reduced and the prices have rocketed, and I mean rocketed.

I’ve never found anything that comes anywhere near matching Decleor. Oh how I miss Hydrafloral, their balms and Aromessence and Phytopeel. Such a shame l’Oreal bought it, changed (ruined) all the formulations and eventually discontinued it.

I’ve never found anything that comes anywhere near matching Decleor. Oh how I miss Hydrafloral, their balms and Aromessence and Phytopeel. Such a shame l’Oreal bought it, changed (ruined) all the formulations and eventually discontinued it.
It’s always the flipping same. A brand and a product range that delivers results; then along comes a conglomerate takeover and rips the brand to smithereens.

In a way it kind of happened with Liz Earle. The formulation on the C&P changed for the worst and I have stopped buying. When CS at QVC said they had, had a huge amount of complaints on it I thought no more!

I liked the man that used to do the Christmas musical boxes and also the wee man that used to do the Closienne jewellery and also the lady that did Oriental charms - Rosie Kwan? Surati was different class and also that American lady that did the silver turquoise jewellery, oh and Susie Bjontegaard. Those were the days.

CC
That the South Western Silver? I have, as does my mother, some of those pieces.
I remember there was some sort of scandal with Suari. Yes, it turned out she used cheap labour to make the jewellery, Chinese workers in Bali paid very little. It was after that she disappeared from QVC.
Ooo, that surprises me. I remember the videos of the village 'makers'. Have some of her pieces too. I always thought she could be a bit strict, but put that down to her dance training and her expertise, wanting the best. Didn't think she'd be a task master / mistress. (I was answering another post, but couldn't be bothered to do another quote ;) )

It’s always the flipping same. A brand and a product range that delivers results; then along comes a conglomerate takeover and rips the brand to smithereens.

In a way it kind of happened with Liz Earle. The formulation on the C&P changed for the worst and I have stopped buying. When CS at QVC said they had, had a huge amount of complaints on it I thought no more!
I’ve heard Liz Earle ads on the radio, probably struggling.

CC
I've still got a Susie Bjontegaard bracelet,looks as good as new.

I was doing a sort out of my wardrobe yesterday and I came across a casual jersey knee-length drapey jacket with thumb holes that hangs closely together in front - by Any Body. I bought it on a sale ages ago. Does anyone remember this brand? It's actually quite a warm and a useful thing so I'll be giving it an airing.

It took me a long time to get into Birkenstocks & have a couple of pairs which I wear all the time around the house.QVC used to have a great selection, now when you can find them the range is much reduced and the prices have rocketed, and I mean rocketed.

All the EU imports have gone up in jumps since Brexit, Covid and now the Ukraine war. Oh, and every time a 'sleb' is seen wearing them and all the fashionistas jump on them they'll go up another tenner.

Being fashionable bumps the price of everything up. The woman opposite has had Dachshunds for years. Her next door neighbour - a food bank regular - recently bought two pups off her for £5000. Cost of living crisis? Not for her! Never worked, two kids, a third on the way, no father to be seen unless it's Christmas or the birthdays of the two that are his. He brings ridiculously expensive presents like drones and electric mini cars (used twice on the road where they weave in/out of parked cars) that are age-inappropriate and need supervision.

He turned up this week with electric scooters - the oldest has just turned six. No helmets, thrown out onto the street while he gets drunk, rips off the birthday banner and stomps on the balloons, smashes a window, hits her then drives off. He's long gone before the plod arrives. Some of us are tempted to call the plod as soon as he arrives as he does something like this every time.

Judgey? Yes. But EU products aren't the only price increases. Thanks to this waste of space man (using the term loosely), our insurance has jumped in our postcode due to all the police recorded incidents at that address. As soon as the birthday banners go up their neighbours either side (one is a policewoman! She won't get involved as it's not her area) move their cars as one of them had theirs clipped by drunk father.

Back to Birkenstocks... I wish they'd bring back some of the designs I was buying direct from Germany 20 years ago. Strappy and attractive even on the 'man-repeller' footbed. I had one pair that had very slim leather straps with tiny gold buckles and a gold thread wrapping the straps in places. Very Grecian and dainty. The only vaguely similar ones they have now are the Mayari. It's just as well I can only wear ugly Fitflops these days!

Latest posts

Back