Whatever happened to underskirts

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

catseye

Registered Shopper
Ronnie Nicole dresses are raved about as something special because they have an underskirt attached to the inside of the dress. I am probably old fashioned but I wouldn't dream of wearing a dress without my own underskirt on. Times have changed and my granddaughter had no idea what I was talking about when I said that the dress she was wearing was lovely but it would sit so much better with an underskirt beneath. I remember when I was a teenager that I had a sharkskin underskirt. It made a very loud noise when you moved in it but there was never any static in your dresses. Happy days.

I'm 30 and I can't say that anyone my age routinely wears them! I do however have one which improves the line of some vintage dresses I own perfectly. I think with modern lighter fabrics they're not so necessary really. I'd never ever think about wearing one under a dress I bought from New Look, for example! It just feels too warm and restrictive...

I do love a full layered petticoat under 50's style full skirts though to improve the shape.

Last edited:
When I moved to the South from the North I once referred to "underskirts" My work colleagues thought it was hilarious as they had never used that term.

Underskirts ! A blast from the past, often found in various lengths and colours, had a habit of sliding down when the elastic waist started to become a bit slack. I wore them throughout my teens and early 20`s but I honestly don`t possess one nowadays. My Mum wore the full length ones for the whole of her life, they`d call them slips nowadays or class them as nighties and back then they had strangely shaped bra cups and straps which never stayed in place.
I actually remember having a net underskirt as a young teen but I think I only wore it once. My older sister has loads of photos of her wearing the full skirted dresses with lots of net underskirts under them but she was several years older than me so that was the fashion back in her teenage years.

They used to call them Pettiskirts as well. M&S do still sell underskirts as an older friend of mine was only saying the other day how expensive they were.

I always wore underskirts and even own a 70 year old waist one that belonged to my auntie. I never felt fully dressed without one but the material of my clothes these days don't need one. The best shop to buy one was Ethel Austin's, different lengths too!

Although I don't wear a dress very often, if it wasn't lined I would always wear a slip as the thought of being able to see through the bottom a la Diana Spencer is a real no no for me.

I think the fashion these days is to show off as much of your underwear and skin as is possible without being arrested. It's not my idea of a good look, but I suppose that just means I am officially an old fogey!

Most fabrics are so thin these days you really do need an underskirt under them. On the Ronni Nicole O So Slim, it's a waste of time the way it is at the moment. It is a straight up and down piece of fabric, it definitely does not hold you in anywhere as it is thin fabric and all it does is ride up when you walk. These dresses would be better without the underskirt or with a flared lining to the skirt (if it was a flared dress of course). I often end up with the O So Slim piece of the garment bunched up around my waist and I have cut it out of one dress.

CC

I think the fashion these days is to show off as much of your underwear and skin as is possible without being arrested. It's not my idea of a good look, but I suppose that just means I am officially an old fogey!

Yes, wearing for example a top with a racer back but a conventional bra or a dark bra under a light top seems to be all the rage these days but I always thought these were a big no. I guess I will come and sit in the old fogey corner with you ��

Which is what I call them, too. I always wear a petti if I'm wearing a skirt, not that often but still.

Petticoat reminds me of the Railway Children :). I am 42, when I was young my mum always made me wear an underskirt. It was the done thing then, in the North West anyway. When we moved south I don't think people wore them, maybe a couple of people did.

Yes, wearing for example a top with a racer back but a conventional bra or a dark bra under a light top seems to be all the rage these days but I always thought these were a big no. I guess I will come and sit in the old fogey corner with you ��

In my youth it was considered ill-bred to show your bra straps, hence I was obsessive about keeping mine covered. :angel::sweat::whew:

Shimmy up in that corner!

In my younger days dark coloured underwear under a white blouse, black tights with light shoes, white shoes other than the height of summer etc were all signs of a lady of dubious morals!

To this day I just am not comfortable as it is so ingrained.

On the other hand I always hankered after red shoes and a red bag but again that was a real no no. Now I buy them at every opportunity! Mr LATI calls them my slapper shoes.

Shimmy up in that corner!

In my younger days dark coloured underwear under a white blouse, black tights with light shoes, white shoes other than the height of summer etc were all signs of a lady of dubious morals!

To this day I just am not comfortable as it is so ingrained.

On the other hand I always hankered after red shoes and a red bag but again that was a real no no. Now I buy them at every opportunity! Mr LATI calls them my slapper shoes.

Red shoes.... no knickers! Have I got that right? Lol. Unless they are sparkly like Dorothy in the Wizard of Oz.

Also going bare legged, particularly to work just wasn't 'done' - simply wasn't professional, and it was an unwritten rule that everyone adhered to. I think very few people ACTUALLY wear tights/stockings now, at any time ! (I could be wrong)

Like LATI with having things ingrained, I wouldn't dream of wearing dark tights with light shoes. It also seems de rigeur that its ok not to worry about spare tyres being visible under too tight tops - WHY don't women just buy a larger size ???? Had I gone to work like that I would have worried about all the sniggers behind my back, but no-one bothers these days.

Latest posts

Back