What works?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I've worn makeup every day since I was 13, and for the last two decades I've taken my face off every night with Boots Eye-makeup remover. Costs about £1.49, unscented, never gives me a greasy film on my eyes and doesn't give me that dry-skin feeling. I think it's a little gem.

I recently discovered that Boots do a little scrubbing pad (about a quid, I think), which you use in conjunction with your cleanser. It looks a bit like a white Brillo pad, but actually does the job of exfoliation surprisingly well. I could have saved myself a fortune over the years!

I think skincare benefits from being changed at regular intervals - skin seems to get used to certain regimes, and perks up when you make a change. There's not much I repeat buy, apart from Estee Lauder Idealist Pore Minimiser, without which my skin looks dull, and BeneFit FYI, which is an eye makeup base that matches my skin nicely. I was given a sample of a Chantecaille moisturiser, which was superb, but when I discovered it cost about £150, I sadly gave up on the idea. I'm pleased with LE Superskin Moisturiser, which is mercifully unscented.

Touche Eclat has never done a thing for me - I'm baffled by its popularity. On the other hand, the YSL concealer sticks are really excellent, the best I've ever used (and being spotty all the way into my 40s, I've tried everything!). OK, I've rebought those as well, many times. My daughter keeps pinching them.

If you need an under-eye concealer, I've found Max Factor Mastertouch far better than Touche Eclat, and much cheaper.

When it comes to hands, the best thing I've ever bought was Santa Maria Novella Pasta di Mandorle, which has a heavenly smell of almonds and lemon and leaves your hands like silk.

Thank you all for your replies to this thread, it's really interesting and informative.:flower:

I can't get on with Touche Eclat, it seems to make anything worse around the eye area, clogs.
I like Avon stuff too, I think it's equally as good as more expensive stuff. They do a Touche Eclat copy.
I've currently got all Liz Earle products, I don't know if they make a great difference but they're such a pleasure to use that that makes them good as far as I'm concerned:flower:

Hey Rozzy I went on Avon Website recently as was amazed at the prices plus (sharp intake of breath) they are doing free p and p if you spend over 20 quid, how unlike QVC! I am after a face mask at the mo and they've got some interesting ones on there. £20 on there would get me quite a haul of treats and I'm really trying to trim my beauty spends at the moment

The thing that has made the biggest difference to my skin has been regular exfoliation. I have oily skin and I get hormonal breakouts on my chin.

In terms of products, the Elemis Tri-Enzyme wash has brightened my skin and helps to control blackheads. The only eye product that has made a difference to the expression lines around my eyes has been Gatineau's Melatogenine Futur Plus Eye Cream.

I never could get on with Touche Eclat until I was on youtube and I watched a video by gossmakeupartist, and he used a Bobbi Brown pot of concealer with a MAC brush #188 which is the smaller one of the newish duo fibre brushes with the dark base and the white tips - it was a revelation, I splodge the touche eclat all over my eye lids and lightly blend with the brush, upper and lower lids with my eyes closed and voila cool, clear even eyelids.

I suddenly developed dark patches on my upper and lower eyelids - sort of teabag staining and I do think that discolouration is far more aging than wrinkles. This combination of the touche eclat and the MAC brush whilst not cheap have an amazing effect, you do need the right shade of touche eclat though, I think that there are now 3 shades

1. OPI Nail Envy.

2. Decleor Baume Essential.

3. Decleor Ylang Ylang oil.

4. Dermalogica Dermal Clay Cleanser.

5. Philosophy Hope in a Tube eye cream.

I used to work in the skin care industry, so consequently have tried just about everything. As qvcAddict says it's a real personal thing . Also very dependent of skin type, condition, diet etc. I'm now 45 and my skin has aged alot in a few years - possibly because I live in more sunny climes and down to genetics. Up until my 40's I always looked like I was 20-something! The range that I have found that has given me the wow factor recently, has to be Avon Anew Ultimate. I would not normally have given Avon a second thought, but feeling really down with my skin a few months ago (tried everything from QVC) I saw very good reviews on the ultimate elixir by Avon, so I went and bought some on ebay. It was less than a tenner and it really has done wonders. I reckon it's knocked 5 years off me! I went and bought the day and night cream in the same range, so I'm hoping it'll knock another 5 years off!

I'm same age as you and have just started noticing my skin starting to age. I was rec'd Avon's Liiv and love it - it's made a huge difference to the *glow* of my skin. After discovering this, I invested in their Magix primer and love that, too. I bought the tube and the compact (the colours Fair and Light would suit Fair and Light Halo users) and have been so impressed with these primers that I won't be re-ordering my old Smashbox faves. Best of all, the two products cost a tenner for both!

For new users, sign up for the emails - they always send codes and offers plus if you go through Quidco, you get 10% cashback. If you don't get a freebie P&P code, though, you might be better off going with a rep.

What I have discovered recently is Cargo mascara. I can't rate it highly enough. Not only is it a brilliant mascara (doesn't smudge or make my sensitive eyes tear) but it truly does make my stubby eyelashes look miles longer. So far the only place I can find that stock it are larger Boots stores so I've had buy in bulk!! (fortunately they've had a 2 for 3 offer though) :up2:

Well I have tried loads of different ranges and I have to be careful as Ihave very sensitive skin and psoriasis on my forehead.The one thing that makes an amazing difference to my skin is Elemis Bliss Capsules and I use them every day.You can just just them for a month at a time but I want my skin to feel this soft all the time.I am 52 and even my husband asked me what I am using and he has seen his fair share of products on the bathroom shelf!!!
They are exspensive from QVC buy I get them from E**y for half the price.The capsules are full of a beautiful oil and I even use it around my eyes.it has even toned down the redness on my forehead which is a bonus.

My best buy ever has to be Urban Decay concealer. I use it on the odd blemish and redness around my nose. It's brilliant and after a lifetime of searching for the perfect concealer this is definitely The One.
I don't have dark under-eye circles so I can't comment on how well it would work there, but it has a gorgeous consistency and stays put so I don't see why it wouldn't do that job too. I love love love it!

I'm same age as you and have just started noticing my skin starting to age. I was rec'd Avon's Liiv and love it - it's made a huge difference to the *glow* of my skin. After discovering this, I invested in their Magix primer and love that, too. I bought the tube and the compact (the colours Fair and Light would suit Fair and Light Halo users) and have been so impressed with these primers that I won't be re-ordering my old Smashbox faves. Best of all, the two products cost a tenner for both!

For new users, sign up for the emails - they always send codes and offers plus if you go through Quidco, you get 10% cashback. If you don't get a freebie P&P code, though, you might be better off going with a rep.

I now live in Spain and I got all my Avon stuff off ebay for alot less than you'd even pay from Avon direct.

Everyone comments on how great my skin looks and it's all down to Philosophy Replenishing cream (rather than Hope in a jar), microdelivery peel and wash, the great mystery and hope eye cream. I do think that not being a smoker and drinking as much water as I do also have a big impact though.

I love Olay Regenerist Serum.
I am 56 and have quite a deep wrinkle just above my jawline and this works wonders at smoothing it out when most other products leave it visible.

Last edited:
I have been using Epuri for the past couple of months. Found it by accident on a website reviewing the best anti-aging moisturisers. Am quite impressed. My skin is definitely plumper and looks really nice. Had to get it shipped from America though, but it only took a week and the shipping on their website is quite cheap.

What Works?

I have tried many brands from Qvc,Gatineau,LE,Elemis and Decleor to name a few but the one I keep coming back to is Elemis.I have very sensitive skin and psoriasis on my forehead so I have to be VERY careful what I use.Elemis Bliss Capsules are a wonder and make may skin very soft and plumped up.Even my husband asked what I am using and he has seen a fair amount of products appear and dissappear from the bathroom shelf!
They are exspensive from QVC so I buy them from E**y at more than half price.I also love A'kin cleanser and their Rosehip oil.

Latest posts

Back