What works?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

If you want to decrease dark eyes the only things you can do are drink more water, sleep longer/better and there is a little massage thing you can do to drain the lymphatics around the eyes.

If I drink any more (I already neck 2-3 ltrs a day without factoring in herbal tea) I'll either drown or grow gills, LOL! Never understood what mags bang on about drinking water to make your skin etc more healthy - it doesn't make a jots worth of difference to me as I still get dry/dehydrated skin despite consuming so much.

I do admit that I need more sleep though - had insomnia for over a month now which probably isn't helping ...

It sounds like there are are a good variety of products actually delivering results, I'll be def. looking into some of them. Thank you xxx

I'm 52 and hopefully without sounding smug, I've been blessed with good (inherited) skin, my mum at 82 has amazing skin, mainly down to good old-fashioned Ponds products. I've got virtually no wrinkles (thats down to being well upholstered lol) on my face at all, but my flippin' neck is getting like a turkey actually more my chin than my neck, I'd like a good throat cream if anyone can recommend one:hi:
Does anyone get good results with Liz E eye creams?:flower:

I use the LE Smoothing Line Serum and Daily Eye Repair and have to say I love them both - the skin round my eyes was incredibly dry and papery, and it just isn't anymore. The Daily Eye Repair doesn't really conceal or get rid of my dark circles but it makes the skin incredibly soft and smooth and has an SPF in it too.

Just also wanted to say that my late Grandma used Ponds Cold Cream every single day of her life from being a youngster to when she died in her very late 80s a few years back. She had the most amazing skin too - velvety soft with hardly any lines. Mind you, she did used to wash her face with Fairy Green Household Soap:tongue2: (you know the stuff that used to be used for cleaning the front step and scrubbing at household surfaces ;) )so that probably helped burn off any excess skin anyway ;).

My own skin was really quite poor until I started on firstly Liz Earle and latterly A'Kin products, very very oily T-Zone but critically dry skin on my cheeks. It's much more balanced out now and with adding the Rosehip Oil in twice a day too, I've really noticed a difference in the dry/oily thing being more under control. The fine lines round my eyes are looking less pronounced too.

I also love Clarins but find I can't really justify the expense. Mum buys all the beauty TSVs and then after trying them or not she donates them to me or my sister. Can't say anything made a difference. Loved the Lulu - smell and texture and didn't upset my sensitive system as most do. I just love one of the Olay products - buy it when on special offer, lasts ages and has made a difference especially to my neck!:wonder2::happy:

If I drink any more (I already neck 2-3 ltrs a day without factoring in herbal tea) I'll either drown or grow gills, LOL! Never understood what mags bang on about drinking water to make your skin etc more healthy - it doesn't make a jots worth of difference to me as I still get dry/dehydrated skin despite consuming so much.

I do admit that I need more sleep though - had insomnia for over a month now which probably isn't helping ...

Snap on the insomnia Cupcake, it is driving me mad, I've just nodded off eventually and OH alarm goes off at 5am!! I've only had it for about a month, the only help I get is a mug of Horlicks at night, sometimes it works .:sleepy:

Really good thread.
Ive found the Immortelle range ahs really made a difference to my skin and I swear by the elemis SOS cream for any sore or inflamed skin in the family

Another Clarins fan here. I try other brands from time to time but always go back and some of the newer products are lovely, especially the shea butter cleanser - people often say I've got nice skin but I have to keep rosacea at bay so I must be doing something right. I use the Hydra Quench range because I get those dry, horizontal lines that AY sometimes points out. I also like the hand cream but L'Occitane hand cream is darn good, too.

I have quite a number of HG products now that do work for me although I'm now looking for a different eye cream. Have used the LE Daily Eye Repair for ages but it just doesn't seem to be moisturising enough any more. Have some Elemis Absolute Eye Serum in which I'm now going to start using.

What works for me though :-

LE C&P - when I originally started using this about 3 years ago I used to use a lot of Models Prefer yellow neutralizing powder to even out my skin tone and after using C&P for a very short time I noticed that I didn't need it any more.

Biore Pore Unclogging Scrub - I have to be so careful of what I put on the skin around my eyes as I easily get whiteheads if I use anything too rich. This scrub keeps them at bay as it contains salicylic acid. I tried using the Elemis Tri-Enzyme wash instead and my whiteheads came back in full force.

Elemis PCMC - have used this for about 3 years also and notice the difference if I don't use it. People do comment though that my skin does look plump.

Gatineau Melatogeneine Force Collagen Serum/LE Superskin Concentrate and Decleor Aromessence Ylang Ylang - all these are great boosters to add to my night cream. Each one of them makes my skin feel soft and supple in the mornings.

Decleor Herb Clay mask - my skin is visibly brighter when I remove this.

LE Nourishing body cream - the only moisturiser that lasts all day.

Molten Brown hand lotion/L'Occitane lavender hand cream -does the same as the LE cream above but for my hands.

Things that don't work for me: Gatineau Floracil (doesn't remove my mascara), Clarins Beauty Flash Balm, Elemis Tri-Enzyme wash, Philosophy Purity made simple (got rid of the whiteheads but dried my skin out), OPI Nail Lacquer remover, OPI Nail Envy (it seems to work for a while but after a couple of weeks my nails still break off).

All of the Sarah Chapman range made a visable difference to my skin, so much so that people actually commented, sadly I have finished my latest batch and am being good and attempting to lessen my beauty stash mountain

Ok well for me about to hit 40, skin getting drier, but not many wrinkles..yet

I have sensitive skin and find Gatineau Serenite Soothing Concentrate used just for those occassions when my skins feels sensitive is wonderful (but god it's expensive).

I use L'Occitane Creme Ultra Comforting cream as a daily moisturiser - works well on my dry and sensitive skin and gives a glow!

For body - L'Occitane Amande Milk Body Concentrate does firm you up a bit, but you have to use it every day - I hate body creams but I love this one.

L'Occitane's Shea Handcream can't be beaten IMHO, same for foot cream! They both work!

We don't seem to have mentioned hair - but my hair would not survive without Ojon Revitalising Mist

...and finally OPI Avoplex stops my sore cuticles - to an extent - ie they don't bleed anymore - hooray!

Things that don't work for me: any LE product, sorry Liz, Philosophy facial products - made no difference to my skin, OPI Nail Envy - as below, the Elemis SOS cream gave me a rash so have a couple of other Elemis products, their TSV is the only skin care I've ever sent back to QVC. The legendery Pro-Collagen Marine - had no effect on me and on occasion rubbed off my face like dry glue!!!

Last edited:
LE Cleanse and Polish - I stopped using it a few weeks ago as I thought just any face wash would be as good so got some Olay stuff from boots - it was rubbish and within a few weeks my skin was looking rough and i was getting spots. Within a couple of days back on the C&P my skin is now looking good again.

Gatineau defi-lift really does lift my face and makes it sag less.

Gatineau eye cream - I can really see a difference with this too.

Nail Envy - it really makes my nails stronger.

I also like floricil but dont wear waterproof mascara anymore as you have to scrub with any eyemake-up remover to get it off and this cant be good for your eyes. The best I found when I did waterproof is the No 7 one which is half blue and half clear and you shake it to mix. That removes anything!

Not used anything that made me go WOW (other than botox ha ha)

Estee Lauder Skin Refinisher minimises pores and makes my skin look and feel smoother in an airbrush kind of way

LE eye bright is useful for tired or puffy eyes

Decleor Neroli rebalances my skin and makes me look slightly dewy rather than sweaty

MB hand cream very moisturising and comforting when my hands go a little dry this time of year

There's a Dermalogica intensive moisturiser but I cant remember the darn name of it at this moment in time that is fab too, it wasn't too heavy for my skin but gave me radiance and took away tightness

Anyone tried Touch Eclat for dark circles? Thinking of giving it a bash :)

There are lots & lots of things I enjoy using & that are excellent for maintenance for example but I have only found a tiny handful that have made an actual real, positive difference to my appearance & they are:

Gatineau Melatogenine Futur Plus Eye Cream - improves the appearance of the bags under my eyes quite a bit & the difference is horribly obvious if I stop using it!

Gatineau DefiLift Redefining Serum - it really does help lift & contour the face & again, I notice the difference if I ever stop using it!

That's it really, if we're just talking about face/eye creams! :flower:

Thanks for that KWC I've been sitting on the fence regarding the eye cream. I shall sit no longer and give it a go!:nod:

Not used anything that made me go WOW (other than botox ha ha)

Estee Lauder Skin Refinisher minimises pores and makes my skin look and feel smoother in an airbrush kind of way

LE eye bright is useful for tired or puffy eyes

Decleor Neroli rebalances my skin and makes me look slightly dewy rather than sweaty

MB hand cream very moisturising and comforting when my hands go a little dry this time of year

There's a Dermalogica intensive moisturiser but I cant remember the darn name of it at this moment in time that is fab too, it wasn't too heavy for my skin but gave me radiance and took away tightness

My friend uses touch Eclat and she swears by it. :wink2:

What this thread shows is how personal skin care is :)

I have friends who love Touch Eclat but looks terrible on me. Similarly I hate other things on this list that others swear by.

I use it and like it. I find that when applying it, it doesn't 'pull' the thin skin underneath my eyes like some concealors do, it's very creamy and doesn't make my skin feel dry. Definitely worth trying anyway :nod:

I used to work in the skin care industry, so consequently have tried just about everything. As qvcAddict says it's a real personal thing . Also very dependent of skin type, condition, diet etc. I'm now 45 and my skin has aged alot in a few years - possibly because I live in more sunny climes and down to genetics. Up until my 40's I always looked like I was 20-something! The range that I have found that has given me the wow factor recently, has to be Avon Anew Ultimate. I would not normally have given Avon a second thought, but feeling really down with my skin a few months ago (tried everything from QVC) I saw very good reviews on the ultimate elixir by Avon, so I went and bought some on ebay. It was less than a tenner and it really has done wonders. I reckon it's knocked 5 years off me! I went and bought the day and night cream in the same range, so I'm hoping it'll knock another 5 years off!

Dont know much about touch eclat as I dont need it, but my friend likes it and yes I agree what works for one may not for another.

What works for me is Liz Earle with a little Philosophy! I use the C and P, toner and dry/sensitive mosturiser in winter In summer when its hot and humid, I switch to hope in a jar and occasionally use the microdelivery face scrub.
My big problem is not dark circles but red itchy flakey breakout which comes back with a vengeance if I don't keep up the C and P and toner regime.
Love the superskin concentrate..its my winter face/hand secret weapon for nightime use.
I have the superskin moisturiser but wish it was perfumed as its natural smell I find really horrid...maybe i'll try adding in a bit of the concentrate
For all over body moisturising IMO you cannot beat aqueous cream, 3 quid for a giant pot from any chemist. either put it thinly on wet skin or have your shower then slather it on wet skin and pop back into the shower to rinse off the excess WARNING it does make the shower or bath slippery!!

I started using Aveeno positively radiant day cream spf 30 a few years ago and noticed that gradually it has brightened and evened out my skin tone quite a bit. I can't get it in the UK so have to get it from a well known auction site :wave2:. It has soy extract hence the brightening of my skin tone, it's light despite having SPF30, just the perfect day cream really! Wish they'd blimmin well sell it here.

I've noticed since I started using A'kin Rosehip oil that I get far fewer breakouts than before, it's really balanced my skin. I used to always have at least one spot if not more, I hardly get any now. And since using the shea night cream from A'kin my skin is lovely and plump in the morning, I'm not like a wrinkly old man like before! :grin:

Palmers body lotion with aha/bha is the only body lotion that doesn't bring me out in red bumps and my skin is nice and smooth since I've been using that, even on my chest. Great stuff and nicely available in Boots! haha!

The Elemis eye serum is the only eye product I've ever used that made a noticeable difference to my eye 'area'. It defintiely lightened up under my eyes and made little lines less noticeable. Must get some more actually, especially now that winter is a rolling in...

Tx

I used to use the Aveeno PR! I stopped using it after a while as I really didn't see results and the texture annoyed me - did you find yours grainy, too?

How did you find it? It's a pretty obscure product for a UK-based person to find :)

i couldn't get on with touch eclat just made me look worse! At the moment i am using the most lovely face wash from Boots, it's called Organic Source I think and was under a fiver if my memory (which fades as my lines increase!) serves me well. Smells lovely and fresh, and I am currently using Dove pro age body butter which is very good.Love Decelor neroli it makes my skin glow. I think you have to experiment, I am hooked on skin care and I belive having a routine no matter what you use will help your complexion, plus a good night's sleep, no fags and lots of veg!

Latest posts

Back