What on earth are you supposed to believe?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

barbedwire

Registered Shopper
OK - Rant coming up, but forgive me - for the evening is young and I am premenstrual.

Just watching the 2 hour Beauty Show with Gobby and various guests.

They've just been showing Ultrasun SPF Factor (sic) suncream. As usual Alison was in her preachy anti-sun routine while Abby just sat there mute and not able to get much of a word in.

Then Alison says something along the lines of 'If you're using skincare or make up with an SPF in it already - then 50 minutes after you've put it on, it simply won't work anymore...so you put it on at 7.30am and by 8.20am, you're no longer protected...so WELL DONE if you're using make up or skincare with an actual SPF in, well done for trying - but you won't get proper protection unless you fork out for this...' well - I'm paraphrasing, but that was the literal, actual gist.

So, all the skincare brands and make up they sell with SPFs in - which you're paying through the nose for because you think you're being protected you're actually not? Or is this just another cynical selling technique so she can flog whatever she's on air with at that particular moment? :headbang:

:thinking:

The black dress and grey tights combo,in the middle of a London heatwave,was enough for me to switch over:mysmilie_854:

The black dress and grey tights combo,in the middle of a London heatwave,was enough for me to switch over:mysmilie_854:

I just switched on at the end and caught this amazing "on trend" outfit :giggle:. If she wants to wear tights, why not flesh colour in 7 denier so it looks like she's bare-legged but not pasty white? (I speak from experience here).

She must have the smallest wardrobe at QVC:

1) today's outfit
2) the grey dress and pleated bolero get up
3) the brightly coloured kaftan and white trousers

Can anyone think of any more?

Last edited:
she wears that Butler and Wilson dress a lot too, its got pink and other colours in it, makes me think of ice cream. As for the SPF "advice" I reckon it is just sales speil as no doubt she'll soon be extolling the wonders of some other product that will make you look too young to order alcohol and exfoliate your eyes at the same time!!

i don't believe anything they say anymore after the charlie sat nav twaddle not sure whether products with spf work or not but i use BE and every summer i always burn my nose sun catches it so quick been popping some of my BE on and not caught sun one bit so who knows?

OK - Rant coming up, but forgive me - for the evening is young and I am premenstrual.

Just watching the 2 hour Beauty Show with Gobby and various guests.

They've just been showing Ultrasun SPF Factor (sic) suncream. As usual Alison was in her preachy anti-sun routine while Abby just sat there mute and not able to get much of a word in.

Then Alison says something along the lines of 'If you're using skincare or make up with an SPF in it already - then 50 minutes after you've put it on, it simply won't work anymore...so you put it on at 7.30am and by 8.20am, you're no longer protected...so WELL DONE if you're using make up or skincare with an actual SPF in, well done for trying - but you won't get proper protection unless you fork out for this...' well - I'm paraphrasing, but that was the literal, actual gist.

So, all the skincare brands and make up they sell with SPFs in - which you're paying through the nose for because you think you're being protected you're actually not? Or is this just another cynical selling technique so she can flog whatever she's on air with at that particular moment? :headbang:

:thinking:

The only thing I beleive is that the people on the screen are salespeople and what they really want is my money ! And will tell me what I need to hear in order to get it .:drunk:

I was just going to say the same Loubylou; funny AY never mentoned how short-lived the SPF is in the mineral foundation when she was hawking the recent bare essentials TSV! Hmmmmm :wonder:

Jude xx

SPF in skincare or makeup is absolutely fine if you're only catching the sun between the tube and the office or nipping out for a bit. It's not sufficient for sitting in the sun as it's not present in a high enough quantity by itself in a product as it's diluted with the moisturising ingredients and fillers. You'd have to apply several layers of a moisturiser or foundation to get enough SPF from that product alone wheras one layer of sunscreen is enough as it's 'pure' sunblock.

Gobby is a saleswoman, any expertise she has/had is questionable at best and there's no way she can be relied upon to give independant advice (despite what she claims) as she's employed to flog whatever's on the table in front of her, nothing more.

Tx

I still don't believe anything that is said because it's all sales twaddle!

There are some points to consider with Ultrasun (example of a chemical sunscreen that binds with the skin and a mineral (natural) sunscreen such as Liz Earle)

1. SPF of suncreams are based on how long it takes you to burn, the UVA factor (which should be broadspectrum) is the anti aging part. As RedT has quoted the SPF in a moisturiser is fine for office etc as no one would actually use that to sunbathe in (I hope!). So UVA protection is as important as this protects the skin cells from damage not the high SPF factor (must be high in both in protecting the skin effectively)

2. Make up containing SPF on top of sunscreen is also good as it gives added protection in that they contain zinc oxide or titanium dioxide which reflect the suns rays.

3. Ultrasun is chemical based and is designed to absorb the suns rays within the skin whereas Liz Earle's is based on natural minerals that reflect the suns rays before it penetrates the skin.

When it comes to using your seeerums and aromessences they are fine to use underneath natural sun protection because the skin is not absorbing the ingreeedjunts from the suncream.

If you use chemical sunscreens like Ultrasun do not waste your money putting seeerums and oils on top because this binds to the the skin to make it sweat proof, friction proof and water resistant (but not in a rubber wet suit kind of way!) These contain so many chemicals, mineral oils and parabens that your serum is going to fight with them.

So if your serum is water based (and many are) the skin is not going to absorb it in the same way as if you had put it on bare skin. If you use this kind of sun protection save the serums etc for night time.

They are saying it works with everything in your routine to sell it. I don't recall them ever saying no to any scenario unless of course you're an alien from outer space and wear a space suit all day.

Speaking of which....grey thick tights give excellent sun protection for you!

:cheeky:

i suspect as with most of what is said on shopping channels, there is a grain of truth that is then manipulated and twisted into something not fully untrue but slightly misleading, all the same.

i am not a skin or sun protection expert so forgive me if this is totally incorrect, but i think it depends on the product that is being used for sun protection and the amount used and how it is applied.

a moisturiser may have an spf in it, but it may be degraded because of the make-up then applied afterwards or potentially any serum etc used. also, the amount used will be a factor (as it were) and how old the product is.

finally, if it is a physical block, like BE or another mineral make-up it will be a more reliable block, but this will be compromised if a very sheer cover is used....i think!

(mum writes)

I can't get on with using the Ultrasun on my face so I use Alpha-h factor 30 or Elemis liquid layer. I put it on top of my serums and creams so am I doing it correctly? o_O It works for me but am I properly protected?

(mum writes)

I can't get on with using the Ultrasun on my face so I use Alpha-h factor 30 or Elemis liquid layer. I put it on top of my serums and creams so am I doing it correctly? o_O It works for me but am I properly protected?

I think so! I would make sure you leave a few minutes fo allow serums etc to sink in fully and then use as much as you can of the product you are using for protection without it leaving a white residue etc. The product will work for as long before it is removed because through sweat or cleansing, I think...but others can give a view that may help also!

I think so! I would make sure you leave a few minutes fo allow serums etc to sink in fully and then use as much as you can of the product you are using for protection without it leaving a white residue etc. The product will work for as long before it is removed because through sweat or cleansing, I think...but others can give a view that may help also!

I just wrap my head in bacofoil.

I just wrap my head in bacofoil.

Top tip! Will look the part in Asda. I wonder how long it'll be until Glen picks it up ;) I used to do that sort of thing in the past, covered in olive oil and vinegar - frying tonight!! AY would have a fit but it's my fault for looking like a prune now :D

I remember a couple of years ago I climbed a really high mountain in the Lakes which took hours.

I had no suncream with me as it was quite cold and drizzly when we set off but as we got half way up the sun came out and it was boiling hot!!!

We all got sunburnt (everyone had bright red noses that night) but I only burnt my arms and chest and my face wasn't even slightly red, all I had on it was a moisturiser with no sunscreen but Bare Escentuals foundation and bisque concealer, couldn't believe that they had protected my face so well!

Latest posts

Back