what is your ideal bag?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I`ll tell you which bags I enjoy looking at just for the fun factor. Irregular Choice bags and their shoes too. Some are a bit too wacky for my taste but some bags I could envisage looking lovely especially in Summer because they`re brightly coloured. I`d never buy one but I must admit when I browse them on Amazon they always make me smile, especially the Twit Twoo bags. Some of the shoes are a bit in fact a lot OTT for my taste but I love their cheerful laptop bags.

That's easy:

My head says cross-body black Kipling Rita for shopping and travelling - I've had one for about 5 years and it's indestructable, although I ditched the monkey the minute I opened it!

My heart says a Kelly-style bag in leather or patent. I have two from the '60s that belonged to my mother, both black leather with suede lining and purses, mirrors and gold hardware - one small, one huge - and two T.M. Lewin newish medium-sized copies in both olive and navy patent that OH bought for me (under instruction) in a sale.

That's easy:

My head says cross-body black Kipling Rita for shopping and travelling - I've had one for about 5 years and it's indestructable, although I ditched the monkey the minute I opened it!

My heart says a Kelly-style bag in leather or patent. I have two from the '60s that belonged to my mother, both black leather with suede lining and purses, mirrors and gold hardware - one small, one huge - and two T.M. Lewin newish medium-sized copies in both olive and navy patent that OH bought for me (under instruction) in a sale.

Oh wow D, they sound gorgeous!! I do love a Kelly bag :D

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Was the Kipling Katie Velvet done especially for QVC? (I am presuming so as the only mentions of it are from either QVC or eBay!) :thinking:

No. but certain colours were. Unfortunately the bag was discontinued. I also picked up another one on the bay for a very reasonable price.

I don't have one under £50 that could be classed as ideal or favourite :-( I have a couple of leather cross body bags from Next that are in Mulberry style but they are small and don't fit with the original spec!

There are about 6 Kipling Katies on the bay at the mo. I ordered and sent back (don't know why) the black patent one a few years ago. It wasn't the canvas material,.but a shiny patent-like material. It was lovely. There's one on there actually....I may have to bid. :eek:
my second Kipling bag?!! I have a really small one I bought to carry my SLR camera in years ago. It's grey and hubby doesn't mind holding it as it doesn't look like a handbag!!

My fave bag at the moment is my Lulu black patent large Jenny. I adore black patent and I adore this bag :D but I don't like using it every day for work so try and rotate them. I am looking at some used LG on the bay that I wouldn't mind using every day. If I have paid next to nothing then I won't mind them getting a hammering!

I've got the Kipling Katie black patent; the handles don't go over my shoulder so needs to be carried hand held which I'm ok with, but maybe that's why you sent yours back?

I've got the Kipling Katie black patent; the handles don't go over my shoulder so needs to be carried hand held which I'm ok with, but maybe that's why you sent yours back?

Ah Spartacus - I think you're right now that I come to think of it. Thanks for the reminder! I've bid on one now, I may have to cancel as I wanted a new black shoulder bag for work :(

Oops sorry, it was the Kipling Katie velvet which others were talking about. I got one in black and it's gorgeous!
Thanks Diane2495, I kind of gathered it was the Katie velvet we were talking about as the thread progressed! Funnily enough I bought one from ebay last week in dark purple, lovely, good condition and only £15.00. Happygirl!

Thanks Diane2495, I kind of gathered it was the Katie velvet we were talking about as the thread progressed! Funnily enough I bought one from ebay last week in dark purple, lovely, good condition and only £15.00. Happygirl!

That is a brilliant price. If i remember rightly the original TSV price was about the £48mark (I could be wrong). I picked up my second one from the bay for about £30 and i thought that was a bargain.

They are Cap and, although I don't use them every day, I would never part with them. My sister-in-law - the nice one - recently persuaded me to buy a virtually unused chocolate brown, suede lined, leather rigid frame handbag that we saw in a charity shop. It is beautiful and was only £15 - 1970s I should think - but I never wear brown!

I think Lulu Guinness is largely responsible for reviving the popularity of these handbags in the UK - as opposed to unstructured shoulder bags - and it's interesting that fashion journalists now talk favourably about the Queen's bags that were once considered deeply unfashionable!

I only like/buy non floppy bags. I've never understood the trend for slouchy bags. My love of structured handbags does make me a prime target for Lulu Guinness really. But I'll never stay true to just LG though because of her limited colour pallette. I like coloured bags.

I like Kelly bags too. And the updated Birkin version. I can't afford a Hermes I'm afraid but if I could I'd probably go with the Birkin. But, of course, my beloved Mulberry has a very firm nod to the Birkin.

Gorgeous, gorgeous bags. And there are some great lookalikes out there.

I have always gone for leather bags. I liked Jane Shilton, then went on to Radleys. I have only one Lulu Guinness bag, I love the softness of my Lulu bag. Radley and Shilton bags are more structured.

The only non leather bag that I spent good money is a small Guess bag in distressed leather look, the problem with some Guess bags is that their metal work is very heavy:doh: It looks good though:happy:

I had a Shilton bag shaped like this but in green and with a band of brown at the base that I wore to its death:sad:

carriage_9725_tan_1.jpg

I quite like this Jane Shilton bag........wondering if I should get it, especially as it is in sale:thinking:
91001_purple_1.jpg

The perfect bag does not exist yet, but the leather defea is close.

Here goes.

Leather. Probably black.
Bright patterned, thick canvas lining, candy stripe would be perfect.
No need for additional hand held straps, a thick, well- stitched (not glued) strap and sturdy stitching elsewhere.
A zipped large compartment at the back of the bag, worn close to the body to house the things I need handy (train ticket, purse, sunglasses, lip balm and work pass, plus keys if there is no key fob on the inside.)
An inside securely zipped compartment for anything valuable.
A pouch on the outside on the end that is big enough to hold a wet umbrella or babies bottle, or glasses case. While you are at it stick one on the opposite side as well.
Inside the bag- please dont put one of those crappy mobile phone sections. The phone always falls out meaning you have to rummage around for it. Why not have a pouch about iphone size on the front of the bag, with a zip on the inside of the pouch for my headphones. The pouch could secure with a press stud for a bit of security.
The indide should not be divided down the middle, even with a zipped compartment. This is annoying and wastes valuable space. Keep the inside big and roomy so your make up bag, perfume, childs nappy and spare childs clothing can fit inside (I know not all of you will want this but this is MY dream bag!)
Then I would like another little pocket (perhaps on the front next to the iphone pouch) to house my small hand gel, l'occitane small hand cream and ventolin inhaler.

I think I have described a defea. Or at least the Defea mark2 "the weathergirl".

It has to be leather, it has to be slouchy, and under £100 quid please.

I quite like this Jane Shilton bag........wondering if I should get it, especially as it is in sale:thinking:
91001_purple_1.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Ooooh I do like this bag CTD, even more tempting if its in the sale too. Is it purple or black? Not that it matters as I love both.

You know the one - holds everything but is light and small goes with everything - looks as if it cost a fortune but was less than 50 quid.
Anyone found it yet?

Certainly not Tsv today, but then I'm not a Kipling fan

I sold my house a few years ago, and have gone through all the money, so my ideal bag would be to find a
handbag that i had stuffed loads of hundred pounds notes in, and forgotten all about. If only.....

I don't like bags that are so structured they're rigid, nor do I like completely unstructured floppy bags, it needs to be somewhere in between so that when carrying over my arm I can easily unzip it without having to put it down. I can't stand having a bag that's just a big space that you have to rummage to find anything (although I did like the very first Tignanello TSV tote). I now try only to buy bags that as a minimum have an outside pocket for keys/ID pass/phone. Strap length needs to be long enough to comfortably go over the shoulder but not so long that it looks daft carried hand held. Double shoulder straps should be flat rather than rolled, and I need to be able to access the bag without taking it completely off my shoulder ....... hey, how does one go about getting a job as a bag designer as it seems we'd all be very good at it!

91001_purple_1.jpg

Ooooh I do like this bag CTD, even more tempting if its in the sale too. Is it purple or black? Not that it matters as I love both.[/QUOTE]

Like the look of that Jane Shilton croc one too - prompted me to have a quick looksee at their website too, seems it's available in purple and black. Love looking at all the bag pics that folks find and post here, trouble is it just encourages me to buy bags when I really need no encouragement!:giggle:

I like some Jane Shilton bags but was really disappointed with the last one I bought. I assumed it was leather but it wasn't. I thought all her bags were leather. It was still a nice bag but it didn't wear well being pleather.

I have always gone for leather bags. I liked Jane Shilton, then went on to Radleys. I have only one Lulu Guinness bag, I love the softness of my Lulu bag. Radley and Shilton bags are more structured.

The only non leather bag that I spent good money is a small Guess bag in distressed leather look, the problem with some Guess bags is that their metal work is very heavy:doh: It looks good though:happy:

Ohh I like the black croc/alligator. I have a red patent guess bag. The patent is starting to crack now. Lol the metal wear is really heavy

I had a Shilton bag shaped like this but in green and with a band of brown at the base that I wore to its death:sad:

carriage_9725_tan_1.jpg

91001_purple_1.jpg

Somehow my reply is at the top

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back