What are your beauty confessions?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I use a few QVC brands but I rarely buy them from QVC and was using most of them before I knew about QVC. Elemis, BE, L'Occitane and Liz Earle. And the first three are all available on my local high street.

Althought the kits and TSVs seem like good value, you do always end up with things you don't actually need. And usually a bag you don't want thrown in as well!

I use C&P and PCMC every single day. I also use L'Occitane handcream regularly (although I think I really do prefer the Clarins handcream). I always wear BE foundation and always have L'Occitane handwash on the go. If I use nailpolish it's usually OPI ... but I've never bought OPI from QVC.

I've tried Gatineau but other than the gommage I wouldn't buy it again.

So I'm not really a QVC beauty spender even though I love some of the products they sell

Beauty has always been about selling the fantasy. Reading War Paint about Helena Rubinstein and Elizabeth Arden, back in the 1900s,20s,30s,40s,50s,60s,70s,89s,90s it was all about the latest product which did this that and the other. One brought out a wonder cream and the rest all rushed to bring out one which was even better and only from them.

Look at the drugstore brands L'Oreal etc using fake eyelashes and extenstions in their ads, still goes on. Every mascara has to give the ulimate lash look and reading beauty boards we all rush to buy. This will grow your eyelashes to 20 feet and no matter how expensive same rush to buy it.

Hi all

Oh dear this could go on and on .....

Obviously Liz Earle C/P, IBST, Eye Bright, Daily Eye Repair, Superskin Moisturiser, Hand Repair, Foot Scrub and Foot Repair but generally from LE direct or eBay and only from QVC when there is a "TSV".

BE Purifying Face Wash - trial size from QVC as part of kit but since bought large size of eBay. Great as a morning foaming cleanser for sensitive skin.
Also BE Eye Cream - can't remember its actual name but its a good light eye cream. BE deserve credit for designing tube with a tiny, tiny nozzle so you don't waste the product. Wish others would follow suit.

Sarah Chapman Eye Recovery - QVC as part of a set.

Laura Geller Balance n Brighten - orignally from QVC but now from eBay

Smashbox colour adjusting primer - originally from QVC but now from eBay

Amazing Cosmetics Primer originally from QVC. Personally prefer texture to LG spackle.

Nail polishes - Nails Inc & Opi from QVC but am currently enjoying Zoya and Nubar from eBay. Check out beauty blogs for swatches. Trying to choose one green, one dark cherry red and one greige for winter. I'm going demented comparing the colours

Elemis Treat Your Feet Cream - part of a TSV but shall search elsewhere in future. I love the texture and fragrance. It is gorgeous! Would still recommend LE Foot Repair on very, very dry areas though.

Emma Hardie - Moringa Cleansing Balm + cloth and Am/Pm Moisturiser. What a revelation. The balm is as good as C/P for removing make-up and the cloth is better than LE's. If your skin can cope with a lot of essential oils it is worth trying this range. My skin doesn't like LE Skin Repair but it is ok with EH's moisturiser.

Have bought a lot of L'Occitane in the past but have found a new range of skincare called "Organic Surge" (google the name). I've tried their volumising shampoo, bergamot hand wash and citrus mint shower gel. Very impressed and so much more affordable - something like £4.99ish. I'm convinced the founder of the company is the same man who launched Wild Organics on QVC a couple of years ago. Items were only aired a couple of times and then disappeared. Can you remember this?

Going slightly opposite but I have to say I can't stand LP Skin Therapy - seriously irritated my skin within minutes and I hated the artificial fragrance. Ooops, I've offended so many who love it now. Sorry:doh:

Last edited:
Nail polishes - Nails Inc & Opi from QVC but am currently enjoying Zoya and Nubar from eBay. Check out beauty blogs for swatches. Trying to choose one green, one dark cherry red and one greige for winter. I'm going demented comparing the colours

:clapping::clapping::clapping: I do that!!! All my favourite nail bloggers are always my first point of call when I turn the computer on, I have been known to spend many hours trawling through swatches, just because I love looking at painted nails, if for nothing else!! :blush:

I've been grateful to QVC & bought stuff in the past because of their returns policy as I'm very prone to allergic reactions. Some serious enough to have landed me in A&E with anaphylactic shock, though those have been from a food I'm allergic to & drugs I've been prescribed for an ongoing health problem, not cosmetics.
Though, having said this, I've had more skin reactions to QVC cosmetics than any I've bought on the dreaded high street, Gatineau & Decleor being the worst.

Mostly these days I only order from QVC if there's added value, like the Bobbi Brown 2x gel liners plus mascara & brush for roughly the price of the 2 liners in the shops, good TSvs etc. I do usually succumb to any nail polish ones especially.
I buy Laura Geller, love the blushers especially, waiting for the porcelain B&B!

I've started to frequent Boots a lot more recently. The £5 off coupons, points to spend, no P&P & some terrific cheaper products I'm finding seem better value than most QVC offerings.

I forgot to say I absolutely loved the Models Prefer Lip Gloss set. I think it was aqua something and there was one big one and four or five little ones. Every colour suited me and stayed on brilliantly. And of course you only needed to carry a weeny lip gloss with you. Never bought anything else from the range though.

I can't get my head round buying make up on line. How do you know what the colours are going to be like? I bought the MP lipglosses because my friend had them and let me try them.

:clapping::clapping::clapping: I do that!!! All my favourite nail bloggers are always my first point of call when I turn the computer on, I have been known to spend many hours trawling through swatches, just because I love looking at painted nails, if for nothing else!! :blush:

:mysmilie_497:
Glad I'm not the only one who is bonkers! It's so difficult choosing a colour without trying it on nail first and I can't afford to buy a polish and then not like it. I'm leaning towards Zoya Kelly, Casey and Shawn but I keep checking out others. I got a shock in my local Boots this week when I walked in to see a new stands of Nails Inc, Models Own and Orly. I stood there mesmorised and I really don't know how I made it out without buying. The Orly ones were minis too - great idea.

I liked the models prefer stuff - thought it was good quality for the price.

Don't know why but I can't get on with nails inc.I love the colours but it doesn't seem to have much staying power compared to my OPi? I did vow not to buy any more OPI after a fabolous find of Mavala in my local pharmacy but that doesn't last either.

I have wanted to dip my toe into Ojon - but dunno,always put off by the reviews.Seems really expensive too.Seems even more overpriced when theres a shop in outlet paradise - Portsmouth's Gunwharf Quays - wheres theres a shop that sells Ojon starting at a fiver!!!! (And I still didn't buy :smirk:)

Thanks for the heads up on scrubs................got some time off coming up so will be hitting *horror of horrors* The High Street!

Not big on beauty products. Really like BE, thanks to useful tips on the forum buy mostly from other sources and just get the bargain offers from QVC. Am off to Aldi's in the week to get some of the products talked about here recently as they sound very good value.

Me? My beauty secret is mashed swede.

As a face mask.

As an aperitif.

And in an emergency, as a draught excluder.

great thread, thanks for starting it RD, interesting read and a laugh too. I have moved locations at work so am far away from the lure of the high street and the massive Boots in the centre of Nottingham. This and my no longer shopping much on Q has saved me quite a bit of cash. I am using up stuff too and that makes me feel very virtuous I have been giving half an eye (now that would be cheap to make u!) to the Smashbox shows and find it tempting but am saying "no no no" in an Amy Wineshouse style as I am in spending rehab.

I am a bit worried that as I have some leave coming up I may go into town and have a bit of a splurge as have not been in for a while and will find it all rather tempting, oh the high street, what a tempting place, may even go totally wild and have a cappachino which we all know will set me back at least a fiver!!!!

I still use Ojon (old formula bought when it was really good value), Philosophy Purity and also bought the Judith Williams TSV as Philosophy is no where near as good value as it used to be. For bath and hand cream I now use Dove (cheap from Home Bargains), Soap & Glory and Naked. Oh, and the Waitrose Cinnamon bath stuff I've posted about before is a fab alternative to cinnamon buns. Tried the Asda copy body scrub but didn't like it.

I use Soap and glory clean on me in shower too.moisturiser is moisture surge by clinique,got it with vouchers I had for Christmas.I use l'occitane foot cream or ccs heel balm from Boots.
I like any soaps or hand washes,currently using imperial leather one 89p from home bargains
Facial wipes I am using at the mo from tesco,sensitive ones,their own brand costing about 75p,they are lovely and gentle,if not those I use Avon ones.
Hand cream currently is a l'occitane one too but I use any
Body lotion Jo Malone grapefruit,it was a gift though for my birthday in January.

My confession is that I am too lazy to bother much with skincare or makeup, but I do like to smell good and spent £120 in Jo Malone this afternoon :blush:

:mysmilie_497:
Glad I'm not the only one who is bonkers! It's so difficult choosing a colour without trying it on nail first and I can't afford to buy a polish and then not like it. I'm leaning towards Zoya Kelly, Casey and Shawn but I keep checking out others. I got a shock in my local Boots this week when I walked in to see a new stands of Nails Inc, Models Own and Orly. I stood there mesmorised and I really don't know how I made it out without buying. The Orly ones were minis too - great idea.

Excellent! I think there are plenty more like us bonkers nail addicts out there :mysmilie_851::mysmilie_851:

Zoya Casey is gorge, looks farily similar to Nails Inc Victoria (of which I have two, of course!!)

I came across a swatch of Nubar Reclaim a few weeks ago and fell head over heels in love :mysmilie_505: - there's a lovely green creme in the same collection called Forest - have you had a squiz at that? Could be another contender for your green (not that I'm trying to add to your quandary!).

You showed great strength in walking out of Boots empty handed, I wouldn't have been able to resist - well done :clapping:

Erm where do I start :sweat:

I've got a LE addiction, Philosophy addiction, Leighton Denny and Nails inc, and some Elemis body products as I can't get on with their face stuff unfortunatley.

Phew that's it!

Excellent! I think there are plenty more like us bonkers nail addicts out there :mysmilie_851::mysmilie_851:

Zoya Casey is gorge, looks farily similar to Nails Inc Victoria (of which I have two, of course!!)

I came across a swatch of Nubar Reclaim a few weeks ago and fell head over heels in love :mysmilie_505: - there's a lovely green creme in the same collection called Forest - have you had a squiz at that? Could be another contender for your green (not that I'm trying to add to your quandary!).

You showed great strength in walking out of Boots empty handed, I wouldn't have been able to resist - well done :clapping:

Yaaayyy to all of us who are nail polish bonkers:wave:

How weird that you mention Nubar's Forest. I've just bought it from eBay tonight. I decided against Zoya Shawn as it looks more olive coloured. I like all the colours in Nubar's Going Green Collection but think cremes suit me better. Reclaim is definitely an "out there" colour. I bought Zoya Gemma which is gorgeous but it looked awful on me so I didn't keep it. Another disappointment for me was the iconic Essie Chinchilly which I love on other people - it didn't suit my colouring at all and made me looked washed out.

I'm definitely going to get Zoya Kelly and Casey before the Autumn. I've already got Nubar's Chiffon waiting to be worn. Then I should be sorted - although I could be tempted by Zoya Envy too:confused:

Send good vibes that I get out of Boots again without succombing to temptation when I next go into town on Wednesday!!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back