What are your beauty confessions?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

rainbowdottie

Registered Shopper
Have to say I use more of QVC's products than I thought I did - although I don't purchase all of them from QVC!

My base is Ultrasun (bought from my local independent pharmacy)

I use Laura Geller B&B,but QVC never have it in stock (I like the fair)

I love Laura Geller eyeshadows and blushers

I use Bobbi Brown Gel eyeliners

I normally use a Max Factor mascara - but am currently using a little stubby one from a bare escentuals kit,which I like - but probably wouldn't repeat purchase

I like the fran wilson lip gloss

And I love OPI (normally bought on ebay)

Then at night I take it all off with Liz Earle (bought direct from her website or john lewis)

I did think today OMG what a boring beauty day - but I have just bought the gatineau cleanser and toner duo on easy pay - Liz Earle suits my skin,so am a bit worried will my super sensitive skin go "mental" but I wanna give it a go - just fancy a change!!!

I do note in the 12pm hour that CH is pushing and pushing and pushing the 30 MBG "even if you've opened it/broken the seal/used it on holiday/for 2 weeks/used half of it...............! Methinks shes been reading the ST forum!

PCMC when good offer on (latest one from John Lewis special offer) and OPI Nail Envy only. I would still be buying a lot from the Sue Devitt range but have to go to Harv.Nicks now :angry: So not much really compared to two years ago.

Well some Smashbox(but I buy from justbeautydirect normally), love the cream eyeliners and brow tech.
OPI(but usually buy from ebay US)
Elemis but only usually as a TSV otherwise its ebay. Never individual items wait for Debenhams buy two get 5 big Try Me sizes and the 10% off events.
L'Occitane the odd kit on easy pay, but usually its wait for the L'Occitane sale.

Liz Earle, A'Kin all get used, but unless really good offer from QVC I buy elsewhere
Got to know Leighton Denny through QVC, but tend to buy elsewhere again, unless TSV, but use OPI and Essie, after recommendation form Donna (thank you) on here
Like some of Laura Geller but do not get on with the B&B, too drying for my skin
Used to love smashbox, but have not bought anything in ages
Love Mallys eyebrow thingy, and use all the time, also love her eye liner powder, stays put all day on me, love it
Foundation Bobbi Brown, as is tinted moisturizer (brilliant at weekends or if I do not need to wear the whole lot so to speak) but also bought elsewhere
Do like L'Occitane shower gels, but not usually the floral ones, and use their soap in the bathrooms,
Have my last stash from Molton Brown in the kitchen (soap and hand cream)
used to love Philosophy but have not got anything since Lee has left

The one thing i am grateful to QVC for, is the discovery of the Models Prefer/YBF eyebrow pencil. Bought my last ones from a ebay seller in America.

Use some Alpha H Liquid Gold and especially like their SPF's 30 and 50 moisturisers - both make excellent bases for make up.
Like some of the BE stuff and buy some of the TSV's and ebay the bits I won't use.

However, I refuse to be sucked in by the "hype" surrounding presteeeeeeegiouuuuussssssssssssss brands with "high end" ingreeeedjuuuuuunts, when it come to cleansers, body washes/lotions etc.
Nothing will convince me that anything that spends a minimum amount of time on your skin whilst you clean it, is going to make the slightest difference to it's condition (and I appreciate that some people have sensitive skin and do have to be more careful what they do put onto it.).
Believe that as long as you clean it (currently using Dove soap on my face), moisturise it and protect it from the sun then it'll be fine. Probably helps that I don't smoke and am not a sun worshipper. Have 3 younger sisters and they all smoke/have smoked and love the sun and all acknowledge that my skin looks a lot better than theirs and that I look a lot younger than them.

I am a make up junkie and have dabbled in the past with some of the make up brands from QVC, but quickly came to my senses - for instance, earlier today Smashbox were selling a pallete of 5 eye shadows for near on £30 when you included the P & P. Absolutely ridiculous. Think how much you could buy from Boots with £30. It does the job just as well and I have often been asked to do people's make up for parties/weddings etc. so it must look O.K.

As i type this Keeey is babbling away in the background and has just said "you must use your mitts to remove it"(not sure what "it" was). Why must you? Presumably because it's another sale for her.

I have a massive beauty confession to make....at the last count, I have 121 nail polishes (not including back-ups of my favourites), 50+ of which are from Nails Inc., none of which were purchased from QVC, and hardly any of which I paid full price for. I change my nail colour every single day, and am such a freak, I even have a nail polish catalogue on my computer, divided into brands, special collections, nail art/special effects, favourites, and colour folders.

You may judge me :mysmilie_516::mysmilie_516::mysmilie_516::mysmilie_516:

I have a massive beauty confession to make....at the last count, I have 121 nail polishes (not including back-ups of my favourites), 50+ of which are from Nails Inc., none of which were purchased from QVC, and hardly any of which I paid full price for. I change my nail colour every single day, and am such a freak, I even have a nail polish catalogue on my computer, divided into brands, special collections, nail art/special effects, favourites, and colour folders.

You may judge me :mysmilie_516::mysmilie_516::mysmilie_516::mysmilie_516:

Never AB - only judge if ye can be judged (something like that!):very honest of you to reveal your OCD (mine is hand washing) angel:

Not much from QVC these days as I am trying to save my money. I do however buy brands that they stock when I can get them in TK Max. Just bought a Leighton Denny kit for £14 which has 3 mini polishes, hand cream, remover, a scrub thing and various other trial sizes, am very pleased with it. Also buy Nails Inc there and Pecksniffs. I do love Elemis but am on such a tight budget now that I will have to find a substitute. Agree about the not smoking and not sunbathing tho, I have good skin as a result of this and geting as much sleep as I can rather than slapping potions on. As for make up, I like Laura Geller very very much and will continue to buy as can't get it anywhere else. If anyone can recommend a good skin care range that does not cost too much I would be very grateful.

The one thing i am grateful to QVC for, is the discovery of the Models Prefer/YBF eyebrow pencil. Bought my last ones from a ebay seller in America.

Use some Alpha H Liquid Gold and especially like their SPF's 30 and 50 moisturisers - both make excellent bases for make up.
Like some of the BE stuff and buy some of the TSV's and ebay the bits I won't use.

However, I refuse to be sucked in by the "hype" surrounding presteeeeeeegiouuuuussssssssssssss brands with "high end" ingreeeedjuuuuuunts, when it come to cleansers, body washes/lotions etc.
Nothing will convince me that anything that spends a minimum amount of time on your skin whilst you clean it, is going to make the slightest difference to it's condition (and I appreciate that some people have sensitive skin and do have to be more careful what they do put onto it.).
Believe that as long as you clean it (currently using Dove soap on my face), moisturise it and protect it from the sun then it'll be fine. Probably helps that I don't smoke and am not a sun worshipper. Have 3 younger sisters and they all smoke/have smoked and love the sun and all acknowledge that my skin looks a lot better than theirs and that I look a lot younger than them.

I am a make up junkie and have dabbled in the past with some of the make up brands from QVC, but quickly came to my senses - for instance, earlier today Smashbox were selling a pallete of 5 eye shadows for near on £30 when you included the P & P. Absolutely ridiculous. Think how much you could buy from Boots with £30. It does the job just as well and I have often been asked to do people's make up for parties/weddings etc. so it must look O.K.

As i type this Keeey is babbling away in the background and has just said "you must use your mitts to remove it"(not sure what "it" was). Why must you? Presumably because it's another sale for her.

I watched the last 15 mins of the show & heard this too. She was talking about removing the papaya enzyme peel, saying how you must use your mitts to remove it. She can talk a load of rubbish. You don't need to use mitts at all, your usual cloth, cotton pads or simply washing it off with water will do. She likes to push the brand in this way.

Not much from QVC these days as I am trying to save my money. I do however buy brands that they stock when I can get them in TK Max. Just bought a Leighton Denny kit for £14 which has 3 mini polishes, hand cream, remover, a scrub thing and various other trial sizes, am very pleased with it. Also buy Nails Inc there and Pecksniffs. I do love Elemis but am on such a tight budget now that I will have to find a substitute. Agree about the not smoking and not sunbathing tho, I have good skin as a result of this and geting as much sleep as I can rather than slapping potions on. As for make up, I like Laura Geller very very much and will continue to buy as can't get it anywhere else. If anyone can recommend a good skin care range that does not cost too much I would be very grateful.

I too have been an Elemis lover but am finding some of their prices to be inhibitive. I've found a brand on Ebay called Forever Young which has really good ingredients, no nasties and is extremely reasonable. I haven't tried any of their peel type things but have been using the Renovage moisturizer and anti wrinkle serum for the last few months and can honestly say that my skin looks better now than it ever did with the very expensive Elemis products. Even DD has remarked how good my skin is looking and she wouldn' tnormally notice if I had a boil on the end of my nose!! Well worth a try. HTH,

My confession is that I've abandoned all QVC beauty products due to poverty and rediscovered Boots! So instead of Liz Earle, Alpha H & Decleor, it's the Botanics range I'm using as several of their products are now organic. They do a lovely cleansing balm with muslin cloth to rival C&P and a gentle pure rosewater toner, both fine for my ultra sensitive skin which looks just the same as it did using the more expensive stuff. I'll be after their moisuriser too when I run out of LE...what with that and the new Aldi opening soon in my town, Ali Young would despair of me!

There is soo much hype in the beauty industry and very little has substance as it would otherwise be a pharmaceutical not a beauty product. The point is to find what suits you and that have a change ones in a while
I always laugh at the : you have to stroke your skin this/that way to combat gravity: yep, 30 sec of that twice a day will undo all the damage the other 23 hours and 59 min will make

I use Liz Earle skincare , Usually TSV kits or the offers that go up on the LE website. Bare Escentuals for make up. Do have some L'occitane but as I type Pippa & Alexis are wittering on about how the liquid soaps are multi-purpose , well I have news for them I used the verbena one to wash my muslin cloths and I came out in nasty spots & I have gone back to using shower gels & liquid soaps from the dreaded high st as they are much cheaper..

I noted that Keeley was still pushing the "vote Pro-Collagen Marine Cream" spiel in the 1pm show today!! That girl is so ****** desperate!! Keeley just wants you to spend unnecessary amounts of money on products you don't need.. I learned her game pretty quickly months ago!! I'm no fool.

Just reminded me about philosophy - I LOVE their body scrubs - but these days don't really have the money to buy - I consider them a bit of a luxury - although I'm finding hard to get a decent high street one!

I have more or less abandoned QVCs beauty offerings,they're so predictable and boring to be honest !

So really, I only buy the very odd L'Occitane TSV, or the Elemis mens kits which are truly a good price on QVC! I did buy the last Judith Williamson TSV and it was okay, but not great! At the minute I am using Eve Lom or Cliniques balm cleanser, Gatineau Floracil, and the fabulous Olay Professional Anti wrinkle kit !
I know I will succumb to Philosophys shower gels nearer to Christmas, but, QVC really ,really need to up their game to warrant Jabbas hard earned!

Just reminded me about philosophy - I LOVE their body scrubs - but these days don't really have the money to buy - I consider them a bit of a luxury - although I'm finding hard to get a decent high street one!

Dont Asda sell something ling similar lines?is it the NSpa stuff or have i dreamt it. I did start using the bayliss and Harding handwash that was a dead ringer pong wise for molton brown naran ji but only cost £2 a bottle.
I'm another one who's eschewed with a firm hand a lot of the 'presteejus' brand guff off Le Q. Tho I did recently buy the bobbi brown gel eyeliners, following recommendations from you lot.

Last edited:
The brands I've tried, and like, are Gatineau (cleanser/toner), L'Occitane, Lulu (night cream only) and Liz Earle. I sometimes buy these from QVC, but not always. I like to ring the changes and try different brands, but often go back to old favourites such as Nivea.

I'm not one for loads of make-up - I have to be careful with eye products because of a recurring infection. Bourjois mascara suits so I stick to that. I buy stuff from M&S, Boots and Avon. Avon's mineral make-up suits me better than BE, and is much cheaper.

There is a great chemist in my nearest city with a real Aladdin's cave of smellies in the basement. Brands like Fenjal, Bronnley, they even sell 4711 eau de cologne. I'm a sucker for nice bath products and they do some nice oils etc. at good prices. Crabtree & Evelyn, and Neals Yard are also faves!

Last edited:

Have you tried Soap and Glory's "The Scrub of your Life" from Boots - also, their body butter is nice. Not sure on pricing as I always get loads for Xmas, so rarely have to actually shell out my own pennies for it. But think I can safely say it'll be cheaper than Philosophy.

Latest posts

Back