Watch out Basso's about!

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I hear what you're saying about eating meat and wearing leather but this man uses animals for the fur coats he peddles not from the human food chain but from beautiful wild animals and animals that are endangered. Surely, we can all agree that this is wrong and that he has no place on QVC making money from his fake fur range to plough back into this immoral industry.

Probably a really dumb questions but I thought these animals are farmed rather then wild?
:8:

I'm afraid if you go to many countries on the Continent you will be able to buy (and regularly see people wearing) real fur items. I had a discussion about this with a group of Italians I was teaching and they really couldn't understand our attitude in the UK. Their argument was that it's possible to regulate the fur industry in the same way as the meat industry, so that's what we should be striving for. If we eat meat and wear leather, we are being hypocritical. We rather stand alone on this one and I notice that many of the models who wouldn't wear fur in the past now seem to have lost all their inhibitions!
I saw a documentary on the fur trade, a couple of months ago, I think it was on channel 4. As part of the show the reporter went to Italy, and was shocked to find out that the fur trade has always been thriving in the country. There were even furriers on the high street, with real fur coats taking pride of place in their window displays.:eek:

http://myitthings.com/FashionWeek/P...-New-York-Fashion-Week/272182009021962694.htm

Dennis Basso - Fall 2009 - Mercedes Benz New York Fashion Week
02/18/2009 02:19 AM

Everyone knows that when it comes to fur, Dennis Basso is in a competition with no one but himself. The man outdoes himself every season, constructing opulent gilets and coats from gorgeous pelts that make you want to reach out and pet the models as they strut down the runway…

The collection was inspired by all things Upper East Side: “Dinner dressing, tailored lunches and elegant evenings.” While some of the hybrid fur creations like a chinchilla with fox sleeves were a bit unsettling, the best pieces were the untouched beauties like a belted fox vest that felt modern and edgy enough for day wear. Other exotic skins added to the luxury of the collection with accessories like python and alligator belts cinching the narrow waists of the fur clad beauties.
Adrien Field

Probably a really dumb questions but I thought these animals are farmed rather then wild?
:8:

Not a dumb question at all Star, but sadly there are people out there that will quite happily buy illegal furs and pelts even if its means they have to be hidden away, or worn only in specific company. There are types so keen to own something unique and rare that they will go to any lengths, even paying for the animals to be hunted down and slaughtered. There is a whole horrendous underground trade in illegal animal products of all sorts. I've seen a gorilla's hand being sold as an ashtray (I've upset myself just remembering this). Not only cruel but dreadful disrespect and degradation.

Argey xx

I wear leather and suede, and eat beef. I'm making the assumption that the animals concerned have been treated reasonably, and slaughtered without unnecessary distress. I'm just about able to live with that.

Using non-animal materials such as vinyl, doesn't make me feel better. I'm aware that their manufacture probably involves processes that use fossil fuels and damage the environment.

I don't wear fur, mainly because I am lead to believe that the animals are not always treated well or killed humanely.

However, if the fur business was well regulated and monitored, to the same standard as the beef trade, would there be any objection to using animals for fur? Are there other objections?

Yes but a silver fox stuffed in a tiny cage gone totally mad and then being elecuted or gas. Some skin whilst still alive.

Donna's raised an excellent point. Sometimes farming is more cruel than hunting - I just think that humans are still a fearsome and barbaric breed. As long as we are happy to slaughter and torture each other, then animals don't have a hope.

Sorry guys - bit sore today.

Argey xx

I wear leather and suede, and eat beef. I'm making the assumption that the animals concerned have been treated reasonably, and slaughtered without unnecessary distress. I'm just about able to live with that.

Using non-animal materials such as vinyl, doesn't make me feel better. I'm aware that their manufacture probably involves processes that use fossil fuels and damage the environment.
I don't wear fur, mainly because I am lead to believe that the animals are not always treated well or killed humanely.

However, if the fur business was well regulated and monitored, to the same standard as the beef trade, would there be any objection to using animals for fur? Are there other objections?

Hi AtG,

From what I know, this is disinformation likely to be coming from the obvious quarters. A fur isn't just ripped off the animal and placed on the wearer's back, but in fact takes a lot lof processing to reach modern "acceptable" requirements, which also has environmental impacts.

With regard to your point about monitoring, I understand your thinking, but this still leaves us with the reasons for wearing it, particularly in this moderate climate?

Argey x

I would object on the moral grounds that I believe animals weren't put on this earth for our consumable satisfaction. I can't get on my high horse re meat eating (although I wish I could!) but well heeled people parading about in real fur , when there are perfectly acceptable alternatives, is abhorrent to me whether or not it's 'humanely' sourced or not.
I believe our farmed animals used for food are supposed to be killed humanely and treated well, but I don't for a minute think that's always the case.

I find him obnoxious and arrogant, what I don't understand is why he needs the money he gets from selling faux furs if he has all these super rich stars paying thousands for the real thing. Be satisfied with that and don't come here making us all feel sick. I also hate how A.K. and S.G. drool all over him in a way they don't act with anyone else. I find it cringeworthy
Basso's level of greed, will never be satisfied!

I just find him totally OTT and creepy beyond belief. The way he fawns over the presenters and the models - and that voice of his!! Did he put his mouth over a boiling kettle at some point in his past?
He likes to man handle and rough them up a bit. I'd hate to think what he is like behind clothes doors.:56:

For those who don't know, Basso has dealings in broadtail fur - this is when the lamb is cut out of it's mother's uterus, whilst the mother is still alive - they are both then slaughtered. This is to preserve the 'curliness' of the broadtail fur. Need I say more? wuss vommrang

We should arrange to picket the building!!!! It makes me disinclined to purchase from QVC again until that man is removed. :mad::mad::mad:

For those who don't know, Basso has dealings in broadtail fur - this is when the lamb is cut out of it's mother's uterus, whilst the mother is still alive - they are both then slaughtered. This is to preserve the 'curliness' of the broadtail fur. Need I say more? wuss vommrang

That's horrible, I've never heard of such a thing. :12:

Yes but a silver fox stuffed in a tiny cage gone totally mad and then being elecuted or gas. Some skin whilst still alive.

Not sure how farms, especially big comercial animal farms kill their cows/pigs/hens/sheep ect, but would not think they they are killed with sensitivity at a slaughter house? And I mean I really do not know, but why is it ok to kill domestic animals, but not somthing fury ( and then by association cute?)
And I do eat meat and have a leather jacket - no fur

Its clearly a very emmotive subject. I think it depends on whether the fur wearing is for necessity or vanity. For me its disgusting to think about parading around in dead animals as movies stars etc do but for Eskimos etc its clearly a necessity - for food warmth etc in other words, the same as we theat meat prosessing.

I have no problem with faux fur but am now nervous of this as
1 I did not know before finging this forum what Basso did for a living and just assumed he was the manufacturer of fashion
2 I know she can be a right pain but i once heard Heather Mills talking about the faux fur trade using aminals such as cats (China i think was mentioned) as it was somtimes cheaper than the man made option and of course we consumers were not aware of this.

We should arrange to picket the building!!!! It makes me disinclined to purchase from QVC again until that man is removed. :mad::mad::mad:

We've written, we've emailed, we've phoned ... no reply to anything - apart from 'we'll pass your comments on to the relevant department' (phonecall)

That's horrible, I've never heard of such a thing. :12:

There was an article in the Daily Mail about a year ago all about Basso and broadtail. I think Mad Granny Sue still has the article, but of course she has other things on her mind at the moment. I'll see if I can find it.

I think Nikkid has the balance about right. I eat meat and wear leather shoes etc but I draw the line at wearing fur as I think it's unnecessary for us in Western society and I believe it encourages poaching of endangered species.

Latest posts

Back