Washing machines

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

About 35 years ago a friend of mine who had once lived in Canada - that may or may not be relevant! - used to mix her washing powder with water in a jug and pour it straight into the drum to avoid the build up/waste of powder in the drawer. I couldn't believe my eyes but I remember her saying "One day we'll be able to wash our laundry with liquid detergent". How I laughed.......

RIP my lovely mate Pat.

I cannot belive you have all got so long out of your washing machines! My last repair, he said its limescale, I flung open a cupboard and out pooped a big box of Calgon powder, I also use Calgon tabs and sometimes Calgon gel and he says Limescale! I hate hard water but I do the best with it. Im seriously wanting a new machine. Why dont they do washing machines on QVC? only ever once seen a Miele one I think. Notice though, when they do demos in their laundry room they have miele machines but they are so expensive. My dad will not fork out for me another one, so looks like Im stuck with this wreck.

my repair man said fine to use powder (I prefer it to liquid) but to put it into the drum, not the drawer, which I now do.

my repair man said fine to use powder (I prefer it to liquid) but to put it into the drum, not the drawer, which I now do.

Oh I do too - so much more effective and cheaper. Does anyone remember the free Arielette ball dispensers that you filled with powder and put straight into the drum. I sent away for lots of them and still have about 6 left but they last for years!

Iv got a couple of the balls that you put liquid into, could you put powder in them, and into the drum? or are they just for liquid?

I have an LG that works really well and has been really reliable! Had it more or less since the direct drive models came on the market.

Iv got a couple of the balls that you put liquid into, could you put powder in them, and into the drum? or are they just for liquid?

Don't see why not!

Bit the bullet and have bought a new Miele - if it survives as long as the old one I'll be 85 before I have to bother you all again for your much appreciated and helpful suggestions!

ukwhitegoods.co.uk is worth a look at.

I bought my ISE10 washer from them about 3 years ago, and about 6 months later I bought the matching dryer. Expensive outlay, but fully guaranteed for 10 years and expected to last at least 20 years. I'm very happy with my ISE machines and hope never to have to buy replacements. When the time comes to buy a new dishwasher it will probably be an ISE!
(My previous machine was a Zanussi, which lasted me more than 16 years)

Iv just cleaned my mums waher drawer out, why do they get so black and gunky, had to get a toothbursh in it. I just cant understand how they get so filthy, after all its only detergent and softener going through it.

My son in law was a washing machine engineer for years and he said the biggest causes of breakdowns were bra wires and people using too much powder especially the the cheaper kind as it doesn't dissolve on cooler washes.

Iv just cleaned my mums waher drawer out, why do they get so black and gunky, had to get a toothbursh in it. I just cant understand how they get so filthy, after all its only detergent and softener going through it.
It's fabric conditioner that causes the black gunk. I stopped using it years ago. (If I need to use it for anti static on tights and underslips, I do it by hand in a washing up bowl and peg out to drip dry).

Latest posts

Back