Upheld Complaints Against Sit-Up - 24 July 2013

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I've given up to be honest! :grin:

The ASA have made their decisions by the book and Bid now have to sleep in the bed they've made!

I'm certain the ASA and Ofcom know what they are doing and won't have acted like they're on a witch hunt (what would they gain by tarnishing their own reputation?) :happy:

There most certainly is not a vendetta against sit up. The reason I complain about Sit up, is because it is the channel I watch and before the improvements were made, I was truly shocked by some of the shoddy selling practices I witnessed on these channels, and in all honesty I have never seen anything like it on any other channel. I'm not saying all other channels don't have faults, I agree with what you say, they probably do all commit shady practices and have moral grey areas - but when I started to watch bid a lot, it wasn't so much of a "grey area" - It was a massive flashing coloured banner! Ideal world used to be my default channel, but when they whittled their range down to about 3 different products, all of which I had no interest, I stopped watching. Bid and PD were a breath of fresh air, banter with presenters and assistants, loads of different random products, some really good prices, but after a very short time indeed I was saying " Hang on a minute here - that's a bit naughty!" The rest of course, is history.
I'm sure watchers of the other channels will deal with any problems they encounter, should they see fit, but in the meantime Bid viewers, will naturally complain if they see anything they believe is "not right!

I really really don't want to see them go, but they still don't seem to be taking the rulings seriously, just this morning Guy was selling a torch with batteries, It was a fiver, and he literally leant toward the camera making gestures with his hands "It's a fiver for God's sake!"..."You'll pay a fiver for the batteries alone" - True, well it would be if the torch didn't actually cost £13, or over £14 (if you phone), and during that presentation I didn't hear him refer to extra charges once...Has he forgotten how thin the ice they're skating on is right now, or does he not care? Ok, Other channels may not mention p&p, perhaps they should, but from what I've seen it's a lot cheaper than £7.99 per item. If they charged £2.95 say I doubt if anyone would have brought the subject up in the first place!

i understand what you are saying but the argument is just going round and around in circles.

i'm not on a 'side' i have nothing but good things to say about wirrall as wirrall has been nothing but helpful towards me, as i'm sure pj, bingo, mommabear, newtobid and others would be.

i think it's becoming apparant that the phone locking farce is a company issue as opposed to certain presenters as even the "faves" do it. eg steve mac

it has been said that bid target the elderly and the vunerable but the same could be said of qvc and ideal world... for example when they have beryl on the line to say how wonderful a product is to their "mate" charlie brook.

i understand what you are saying but the argument is just going round and around in circles.

i'm not on a 'side' i have nothing but good things to say about wirrall as wirrall has been nothing but helpful towards me, as i'm sure pj, bingo, mommabear, newtobid and others would be.

i think it's becoming apparant that the phone locking farce is a company issue as opposed to certain presenters as even the "faves" do it. eg steve mac

it has been said that bid target the elderly and the vunerable but the same could be said of qvc and ideal world... for example when they have beryl on the line to say how wonderful a product is to their "mate" charlie brook.

We have talked very agreeably previously Mr Tom but I have to say I was extremely disappointed when you said there is a vendetta on here against Bid.

That diminishes the absolutely appalling behaviour that Sit Up has clearly took part in, which has been categorically proven by not one but thirty two (32) recently Upheld complaints by the ASA.

People didn't just make those complaints up. They were genuine examples of a company telling, lets face it, fibs.

We have talked very agreeably previously Mr Tom but I have to say I was extremely disappointed when you said there is a vendetta on here against Bid.

That diminishes the absolutely appalling behaviour that Sit Up has clearly took part in, which has been categorically proven by not one but thirty two (32) recently Upheld complaints by the ASA.

People didn't just make those complaints up. They were genuine examples of a company telling, lets face it, fibs.

it does come across most of the time like there is one. i honestly think people should look across the board and see what the other channels do, though i would be the first to say that locking phones is utter nonsense

it does come across most of the time like there is one. i honestly think people should look across the board and see what the other channels do, though i would be the first to say that locking phones is utter nonsense

As I have always said Mr T we need to see concrete proof.

There has been much bluster, much rhetoric too. Until there is conclusive proof of such behaviour elsewhere, and there isn't right now, I would politely have to agree to disagree.

And you know i'm not looking for trouble from you or anyone, we have talked many times before and I have enjoyed our discussions.

But, there are some posts that make extremely wild claims that time (and time again) are disproved factually.

As I have always said Mr T we need to see concrete proof.

There has been much bluster, much rhetoric too. Until there is conclusive proof of such behaviour elsewhere, and there isn't right now, I would politely have to agree to disagree.

And you know i'm not looking for trouble from you or anyone, we have talked many times before and I have enjoyed our discussions.

But, there are some posts that make extremely wild claims that time (and time again) are disproved factually.

i think it's being implied that vendetta is negative in and of itself, i just see it for what it is. i've said time and time again that i understand why people have issues with aspects of bid and it's business model. I have issues with it myself.

i find you all polite so i don't see this as an attack, nor is it intended as one on my part.

do ofcom have the power to force bid to take presenters off air?

The only reason I talk about bid and a tiny bit about QVC and Gems is because those are the ones I have purchased from and watch. Imagine the uproar if I complained about something I didn't watch.

I am really sorry it is upsetting you Mr Tom. You are a great guy and the last thing I would want is to annoy you. Heartfelt apologies.

PJ

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

i think it's being implied that vendetta is negative in and of itself, i just see it for what it is. i've said time and time again that i understand why people have issues with aspects of bid and it's business model. I have issues with it myself.

i find you all polite so i don't see this as an attack, nor is it intended as one on my part.

do ofcom have the power to force bid to take presenters off air?

With the absolute hugest of respect Mr T I believe it was actually you that mentioned the word 'vendetta' against Bid. What your definition of that word is, of course, is upto you.

I have no idea if OFCOM can take people off air, that has never been discussed on here. I doubt it ever will be.

The only reason I talk about bid and a tiny bit about QVC and Gems is because those are the ones I have purchased from and watch. Imagine the uproar if I complained about something I didn't watch.

I am really sorry it is upsetting you Mr Tom. You are a great guy and the last thing I would want is to annoy you. Heartfelt apologies.

PJ

i just prefer it when it's a bit more lighthearted in here really.

With the absolute hugest of respect Mr T I believe it was actually you that mentioned the word 'vendetta' against Bid. What your definition of that word is, of course, is upto you.

I have no idea if OFCOM can take people off air, that has never been discussed on here. I doubt it ever will be.

oh indeed, i wasnt trying to pass the buck on bringing up that word. i simply didnt mean it as in "you lot hate bid and its wrong" i know it isn't as simple as that.

i ask as the impression i get is bid has been opperating like they have for a long time and nothing has been done by ofcom.

oh indeed, i wasnt trying to pass the buck on bringing up that word. i simply didnt mean it as in "you lot hate bid and its wrong" i know it isn't as simple as that.

i ask as the impression i get is bid has been opperating like they have for a long time and nothing has been done by ofcom.

It was only in May that Sit-Up Ltd were referred to OFCOM.

I suspect that they have quite a lot of evidence to trawl through. Including current evidence :wink:

It was only in May that Sit-Up Ltd were referred to OFCOM.

I suspect that they have quite a lot of evidence to trawl through. Including current evidence :wink:

i do wonder why they are not more heavily regulated, the shopping tv as a whole, what with it being a huge exchange of money.

i do wonder why they are not more heavily regulated, the shopping tv as a whole, what with it being a huge exchange of money.

I doubt it will be long before OFCOM make their public finding about Sit-Up.

I accept people think other channels have misbehaved but let's be honest, have any of them behaved liked Bid?

There is absolutely no proof they have. People on here keep saying they have but they never, ever prove it.

Ever.

I accept people think other channels have misbehaved but let's be honest, have any of them behaved liked Bid?

There is absolutely no proof they have. People on here keep saying they have but they never, ever prove it.

Ever.

something interesting i found from the qvc forum is that if you develop a return rate of over 50%, apparently qvc close your account down. very naughty considering they talk about the money back guarantee like there is no catch. i think it's a fairly big catch. as i said, interesting.

something interesting i found from the qvc forum is that if you develop a return rate of over 50%, apparently qvc close your account down. very naughty considering they talk about the money back guarantee like there is no catch. i think it's a fairly big catch. as i said, interesting.

Yeah that is out of order. In the case of bid they would probably love people to return more and more as it is a win win for them.

Yeah that is out of order. In the case of bid they would probably love people to return more and more as it is a win win for them.

i don't think it's unreasonable to expect qvc to mention that little tidbit, if bid did that they would be (rightly) crucified for it.

in some respects it's worse than bid as they secretly do this under the cloak of their major promotional tactic.

Ever.

How about YOU provide US with some hard evidence that your the official regulator of shopping TV and owner of the worlds most accurate moral compass that you like to portray *yourself as? Maybe then people will bother to provide you with the 'hard evidence' you harp on and on about. *Until then * maybe you should stop presenting yourself as judge and Jury *and allow people to have an opinion without jumping down their throats and accept that you, like everyone else on here is just someone who watches and comments on a shopping channel.*

How about YOU provide US with some hard evidence that your the official regulator of shopping TV and owner of the worlds most accurate moral compass that you like to portray *yourself as? Maybe then people will bother to provide you with the 'hard evidence' you harp on and on about. *Until then * maybe you should stop presenting yourself as judge and Jury *and allow people to have an opinion without jumping down their throats and accept that you, like everyone else on here is just someone who watches and comments on a shopping channel.*

Can I borrow your Google translator as it is my turn not to understand :p

PJ

Everyone is entitled to an opinion here, Bingowings. You do come across as being rather aggressive and judgemental youself. It's only a TV shopping forum, Get over yourself.

Latest posts

Back