Ultrasun - wherefore art thou?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

louise66

Registered Shopper
Just scanning beauty sites, and came across Ultrasun. It occurred to me that it hadn't been on the Q for a while. Is this another range which has headed south?

Erm, maybe it's to do with it being mid winter and there being no next to no sun at the moment?

Erm, maybe it's to do with it being mid winter and there being no next to no sun at the moment?

People still go on holiday in winter! And besides the amount of sunshine is irrelevant as UV light penetrates through clouds.

People still go on holiday in winter! And besides the amount of sunshine is irrelevant as UV light penetrates through clouds.

90% of UVA light penetrates through clouds, yes. But your average Joe is only concerned with UVB rays, which are of lesser intensity at this time of year. I use sunscreen all year round but am happy to buy a couple of Soltans when Boots do theme on 2 for 1. Ultrasun has many good things going for it but it has Aluminium in it - which I will not use. Don't use deodorants or creams with aluminium. I buy Dr Organics from Holland & Barrett!

Julius I'm an all year round sun cream wearer too as I'm as pale as you can get, what form of Soltan do you use? (Spray or cream?) I like it as its 5* UVA rated but I haven't found any 5* UVA product with high SPF that doesn't leave a residue on the skin (garnier have a good one that leaves no residue but it's only 3* UVA protection)

Last edited:
abi tends to pop up Easter to September on qvc with ultrasun.

I too am a sun cream wearer 365 days of the year due to a medical condition - but luckily my local chemist sells ultrasun - ultrasun is the only one i have found to suit to my skin without being drying or greasy.I've never even bought an ultrasun tsv despite wearing it everyday as the prices in my local chemist are so much more competitive and without the p&p!

I'm sure Abi was on QVC not too long ago (last month?) so i expect she will be back gracing our screens once QVC's thoughts turn to summer.

Julius I'm an all year round sun cream wearer too as I'm as pale as you can get, what form of Soltan do you use? (Spray or cream?) I like it as its 5* UVA rated but I haven't found any 5* UVA product with high SPF that doesn't leave a residue on the skin (garnier have a good one that leaves no residue but it's only 3* UVA
protection)

Hi Ellaa I'm just looking at my Soltan "collection" right now. I've got Soltan "Once" Face 30 (for long days out), I've got Soltan Baby (SPF 50) (for short outings 2-3 hrs), I've got also Soltan Once spray 30 (used it on hols in July, it's good but a bit perfumey), I've also got Soltan SPF 15 in a cream and brown bottle (for body on hols). Apart from Soltan I've got Clarins mineral SPF 30 for the eye area. I have used the SPF baby one on my face and like its non perfumedness. I like the Once though as it lasts up to 8 hrs (although I reapply after about 4 just to be safe). I did try one by Lavera (a German brand) which was nice but then I found out it contained aluminium :( The Soltan is good as it contains magnesium and optisol which makes it very stable and less damaging to the skin than other sunscreens. The Clarins one is best for the eye area. It's a bit whitening but is very gentle, has a nice texture and doesn't sting. The worse sunscreen I have ever used is Clinique Super City Block tinted. It was good in the sun but one day it rained and I ended up covered in beige streaks :(

For anyone looking for UVA coverage without a gunky texture go for Soltan SPF 15. Reason being the texture is lighter but despite this, it only offers 3% less protection again UVA/B than an SPF 30. The star rating for UVA relates to the SPF therefore a 5* UVA will offer the same UVA protection as the SPF (UVB). To put it another way, an SPF of 30 with 3* UVA will offer almost the same UVA protection as SPF15 with 5* UVA.

QVC don't have Ultrasun on very much during winter, come March it will be back on loads. Abi was in during the morning show a few weeks ago so has not vanished completely!

There are a number of them on the website, so you could order it. Although a number of them are waitlisted - possible something to do with shelf life?

I've checked the ingredients on my Ultrasun SPF50 Sports for aluminium and was relieved that it wasn't on the ingredient list.

I've checked the ingredients on my Ultrasun SPF50 Sports for aluminium and was relieved that it wasn't on the ingredient list.

Many companies use the Latin "alumina." I'm going to check the ingredients of their Face 30 again when I go into John Lewis.

I didn't get on with Ultrasun so have gone back to P20 and also the Superdrug range which has a tan accelerating ingredient. I just recently bought a couple of these during Midday Madness from Ideal World, excellent price and like the fact that it now has a spray:

http://recs.richrelevance.com/rrser...nd=0&ct=http://www.idealworld.tv/_281505.aspx

Abby I find very bossy in her presentation of ultrasun products so after a couple of minutes staring at her big bead necklace I change channels!

Latest posts

Back