Tricky Dicky's birdfood

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

the whle peanuts in the fat could be dodgy too. nuts should always be in wire cages so they can only nibble. wish i could feed the birdies - had to give up as my garden turned into rat heaven when i did.

B and M bargains is good for bird food too, can't recall what it costs but can guarantee it will be way cheaper than any Tricky Dicky (love the new name for him!) will be hawking maybe he's just a robin so and so!

i buy big tubs of meal worms in the pound shop and Home Bargains for a couple of ££ as well as seeds. Wilkos have big tubs of fat balls for a few ££. You could give your birds a feast for a few weeks for a tenner (on the high street, sshhh don't tell a dicky-bird).

I bougth some from an offer in gardeners world, was cheaper , got free fat balls and good quality feeder, cheaper pand p, and delivered within 24 hours . That was this week.

Struth! He's back!
'Tis the season for Dicky
A set of 2 Easyfill Hanging Baskets are a hot pick for tomorrow so there'll be no stopping him now .... for months.

Thanks for the link. That said I don't use turkey, tend to roast a chicken in an oven bag, not rub salt into the bird before cooking and I tend to strain off the cooking juices(they separate as it cools) to use as stock, so its only the fat that remains. No fatalities round here either (the foxes probably enjoy it too) and its usually all gone by the following day. Interesting article though.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

i leave a lot of the heads on my shrubs and flowers over the winter for the birds. costs nothing but my garden does look a bit messy but to see the birds from my kitchen windows is a joy love it!

We use either sunflower seeds or a superior quality bird food which we get from the pet supplies shop locally (my son works there so we get staff discount :wink:) and find this is better than the cheep (sorry couldn't resist the pun) stuff, as someone said above the birds will only pick out the good seeds and the sunflower seeds and leave the rest or push it off the table or pick it out of the feeders then it grows in all the areas surrounding the bird feeders and makes an awful mess.

So sometimes the cheap stuff is actually a false economy as most of it gets wasted. Or maybe I just have fussy birds in my garden :wonder:

Struth! He's back!
'Tis the season for Dicky
A set of 2 Easyfill Hanging Baskets are a hot pick for tomorrow so there'll be no stopping him now .... for months.

I saw the baskets advertised today. They were £12.24 + £4.95 postage for two of them. I've just bought 4 of them from amazon for £19.99 with free delivery. So much for QVC's amazing buying power. Oh and I got some free plant food with them as well, so even better value.

how would you know if you had fatalities though? they're not going to keel over on the bird table are they?

how would you know if you had fatalities though? they're not going to keel over on the bird table are they?

This tickled me as well, along with LEL's original post that she had no complaints about the food she was giving them. I had visions of LEL doing a survey and reading their reviews :mysmilie_483:

I get a sack of bird seed from my local pet shop. Think it's about 12kg - not sure but need to go in the car to fetch it! Costs about £10/12.
Can't believe people will pay £30 after p&p. The birds line up waiting for me to put it out!!!

Yes you can buy bags of it in Pound shops. We buy Bill Oddie's branded seed, also you can get bags of the black sunflower seeds which they love and peanuts. We also get dried mealworms which the robins seem to love. We couldn't afford to puot out the aount of food for the birds that we do if it were not for the pound shops. Even Wilkinsons stores are more expensive. My brother gets big bags of seed from his local Home and Bargain store and the fat balls either 6 or 8 for a pound.

Does all this bird food not attract mice or even worse rats. I'd be afraid of that

I use a general mixed seed mix which I buy at the farm suppliers which I use for both the wild birds and for my chickens. The wild birds also eat the layers pellets that I put out for the chickens so they should lay lovely yellow yolked eggs come spring time!!

Latest posts

Back