Toshiba Journe 6x4 Photo Compact Scanner

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

BusyLizzie

Registered Shopper
Anyone think today's TSV - the Toshiba Journe 6x4 Photo Compact Scanner - is a good idea please? We have loads of photographs dating back years and I know they lose quality over time so it could be a great way to save all those fond memories. I've googled it and can't find any information on it.

Thanks for any views and comments.

Anyone think today's TSV - the Toshiba Journe 6x4 Photo Compact Scanner - is a good idea please? We have loads of photographs dating back years and I know they lose quality over time so it could be a great way to save all those fond memories. I've googled it and can't find any information on it.

You won't find much info yet, as official in store date is June 09.
I have bought this at my DH request. I am a scrapbooker and oftem ask him to scan old photos before I use them. This is so fast I will do it myself and scan all the old photos not just the ones I use.

We have a flatbed scanner and it is really quite slow to scan photos - as you have to make sure they're laid out straight etc. This seems so small,easy to use,quick and not needing a pc.
At least in 30d you can send it back if it's no good.
And as Julian said, if you get your skates on , you could scan all your old photos in the 30 days and send it back for a refund.
I wonder how many people will do this. I was surprised to hear him suggest it.

You won't find much info yet, as official in store date is June 09.
I have bought this at my DH request. I am a scrapbooker and oftem ask him to scan old photos before I use them. This is so fast I will do it myself and scan all the old photos not just the ones I use.

We have a flatbed scanner and it is really quite slow to scan photos - as you have to make sure they're laid out straight etc. This seems so small,easy to use,quick and not needing a pc.
At least in 30d you can send it back if it's no good.
And as Julian said, if you get your skates on , you could scan all your old photos in the 30 days and send it back for a refund.
I wonder how many people will do this. I was surprised to hear him suggest it.

Good old Jules star bloke.
Many times he chips in if it's a camcorder or camera around summertime you could buy this take it on your 2 weeks hols then return it for a refund - classic - well he's a northerner like me lol

Shame it's not slightly bigger, there was a time when the standard size of photo's was 7" x 5". I've got lots of those.

Sat watching the launch last night and came to conclusion that it is for a certain market i.e. people who don't have scanners or as mentioned, scrapbookers. I'm guessing that you could also use it to scan other items in the dimensions given. Didn't see it all but I'm sure they had a small photo printer which would be a good partner for making copies without a pc being switched on.

But for a little more you can get a flatbed scanner that also does negatives: http://www.ebuyer.com/product/116455

BTW, I also pointed out to my family that you could do your photos then send it back! But I also pointed out we have a scanner upstairs in the all-in-one wireless printer so use it.

Shame it's not slightly bigger, there was a time when the standard size of photo's was 7" x 5". I've got lots of those.

You could always trim half an inch off each side, it may not spoil the photo on most of them.
Bobbie

The item is also known as the PanDigital Universal 4"x 6" Photo Mini-Scanner w/256MB SDCard as sold by QVC.com rebadged under the brand Toshiba.
Reading some of the reviews on QVC US it has many problems with white lines and people seem to besending back because of problems.
Worth a punt as you have 30 days to return if faulty.

QVC.com reviews here: http://www.qvc.com/qic/qvcapp.aspx/...-4x-6-Photo-MiniScanner-w256MB-SDCard#reviews

I've gone for it as we have loads of old photos some of my great grand parents. My printer scanner is ok but still takes some time, I think this is a brilliant idea, can't wait to get it.

I um'd and r'd a bit because I've already got a flat bed scanner but in the end I've gone for it because it seems so quick to use. It is not something I can see replacing the flat bed scanner but something I do think will have a place along side it for speed and scrapbooking and at least I've got the 30 day money back with qvc if it does not meet expectations.

for me

Pros. - Speed of use for scrapbooking and sharing of photos, portablity when travelling to relatives and nicking their photos and the pc being optional with it.

Cons - It only scans at 300dpi and if I've scanned really old photos in on the flat bed I've done higher then that so that I have the option to print bigger and as I collect the old cabinet cards I don't think it would do them because they are quite thick.

Thanks everyone for your various comments. Decided to give it a try as it seems a lot less faff than using our flatbed scanner. Don't think I'm going to get all our photos done within the 30 day MBG though as the boxes seem endless............! :1:

Thanks everyone for your various comments. Decided to give it a try as it seems a lot less faff than using our flatbed scanner. Don't think I'm going to get all our photos done within the 30 day MBG though as the boxes seem endless............! :1:

If you alrerady have a scanner / printer with scanner which takes memory cards, then you can scan the photos onto the card. This takes no longer than using this tsv. There is, therefore, no reason to buy it, unless you don't already have a scanner.

If you alrerady have a scanner / printer with scanner which takes memory cards, then you can scan the photos onto the card. This takes no longer than using this tsv. There is, therefore, no reason to buy it, unless you don't already have a scanner.

Might be handy though for people who want copies of friends' and relatives' old photos - can't imagine hauling the old printer/scanner round to their houses every time you want to scan some of their old piccies!

Might be handy though for people who want copies of friends' and relatives' old photos - can't imagine hauling the old printer/scanner round to their houses every time you want to scan some of their old piccies!

My thoughts exactly, it's the portability of it which I found to be useful. I have a couple of elderly Aunts, the only surviving relatives I have on my father's side, and I intend taking it there to ensure I have copies of some precious family photos just in case they happen to get "lost" or destroyed when they sadly pass away.

I have ordered this as it is something I have been looking for, for ages.

I am a family historian and I know just how possessive people can be about lending out photos.

With this I will be able to take the scanner to relative's houses and scan their photos right in front of their eyes.

I have a digital family history online and now I will be able to insert many more family pictures so easily. The printer/scanner I have now is marvellous but of course is just not portable so all photgraphs have to be copied at my house. I will still use this one for larger photos.

When family members die, very ofte their old photos just get thrown in a skip. Make it known amongst your family that you would always be interested in having them as it is so sad when these treasured memories are lost forever.

I um'd and r'd a bit because I've already got a flat bed scanner but in the end I've gone for it because it seems so quick to use. It is not something I can see replacing the flat bed scanner but something I do think will have a place along side it for speed and scrapbooking and at least I've got the 30 day money back with qvc if it does not meet expectations.

for me

Pros. - Speed of use for scrapbooking and sharing of photos, portablity when travelling to relatives and nicking their photos and the pc being optional with it.

Cons - It only scans at 300dpi and if I've scanned really old photos in on the flat bed I've done higher then that so that I have the option to print bigger and as I collect the old cabinet cards I don't think it would do them because they are quite thick.
What are cabinet cards Dragonfly?

It's a great idea.I have loads of photos .I have a flatbed scanner. Can I be bothered setting them all out on the scanner so I can burn them onto a disc? NO. With this I will.I wish it took slightly larger prints but what the hell.I'm sure I'll be pleased when it comes.

Yes, I've ordered this on cheque hold to find out more. I was out Saturday buying a tv and asked around if they'd seen or heard of these.They must be so new, even the young techy boys you get in the electrical shops on Saturdays that seem to know all about these things didn't know about them.

What are cabinet cards Dragonfly?

Hi babytoes, sorry only just seen your question. Cabinet cards were a popular form of photograph from the 1860’s till around WW1. They were a photo printed on to paper and mounted on to card which was normally printed with the photograph studio name on. Mostly use for portraits.

Has anyone received their scanner yet, I’m getting impatient for mine to arrive. :)

Hi Dragonfly thanks for the info ( I think I have some of those somewhere amongst all my old family photos) Yes my scanner arrived today but I haven't had time to open it yet, still potting up all my QVC bulbs and plants. Absolutely knackered.

Latest posts

Back