Today's TSV Gardening - Maple trees...

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

lilylurknomore

Registered Shopper
... has anyone gone for them?

I've been a bit tempted as I've been after a Japanese Maple for a while and these two entwined trees look nice BUT realistically it's only a tree root that would be received and for £53 seems a bit pricey! Also they keep going on about how lovely they will look but surely that will be in 2/3 years time?!

Maybe I should check out my garden centre first.

I'd like to be more of a gardener,than I am - but plants seem to get quite bad reviews on here - and tbh,I'm not green fingered at all,and quite honestly wouldn't know where to start.I liked the idea of the TSV - but like you,thought wow thats a corker of a price for some roots!!!

Seems very pricey. I've got a little more into gardening recently, having just redone our jungle of a little garden (which is now a little oasis!) and have spent a fair bit of time trawling round garden centres choosing plants and QVC certainly doesn't seem particularly competitive. Especially since RJ usually shows that what QVC sends out is nothing more than a bunch of tiny plug plants, bare roots or bulbs.

At least with the garden centre you can buy plants that are at least established. What would happen if you bought something from QVC that didn't grow - it'd probably be too late (not to mention messy and inconvenient to send back!).

Maybe it's useful for those who can't get to a garden centre at all, but when demos of the plants just comprise of cackling RJ holding up a photograph of what your plant "might" look like in a few months - well it doesn't exactly get me "jumping to those phones!".

... has anyone gone for them?

I've been a bit tempted as I've been after a Japanese Maple for a while and these two entwined trees look nice BUT realistically it's only a tree root that would be received and for £53 seems a bit pricey! Also they keep going on about how lovely they will look but surely that will be in 2/3 years time?!

Maybe I should check out my garden centre first.

I would check with your garden centre first Lily...not seen the product, but I think they are relatively slow-growing trees...if it's what I think it is, we've had one for some years and it's still quite small - but pretty!

This is the prime growing season for acers (as with most plants) so I don't know why the TSV bears absolutely no leaves. The problem is that you would have to wait until late spring next year to see if it is going to grow and come into leaf. also I'm not keen on the lollipop look - a tall "stick" with a large arrangement of leaves perched on top.

Acers have come down in price in many garden centres and you could get a smaller one in full leaf at this time of year. The same with reputable mail-order garden companies.

We saw maples for £10.99 in our local garden centre and they were in leaf. If you got two of similar height but different colours you could plant them together and get the same result for £ 22 not £54.

Our local garden centre is doing various species of them for £9.99p each and they are in pots and in leaf, not like the QCV ones.

I don't have a sheltered shady spot to plant these, so I gave them a miss.

Acers are prone to wind burn so for those of you who have gone for them, be sure to plant them somewhere sheltered.

Latest posts

Back