Today's Archos TSV

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

concordia

Easily Confused
I'm tempted by this...any opinions? It seems to get mixed reviews, with software problems. The add-ons also seem confusing and potentially pricey. Is it worth it?

Oh look another Archos TSV, engaging sarcasm mode.

Just come back from Currys and the same model is about £199 - think without the dock. Bizarrely, the 160GB was at £309 but I was more interested in the beast called the Archos 7 which wasn't that much more in price than the 5 with the bigger drive.

Thought i would treat the family to this as it seemed to have so many uses. First it would be great for long trips in the car with my 4yr old and she could then watch her dvd's when we got there especially when we travel to England and stay at my sister in laws.
I thought the internet might be good for a quick catch up when the compter is busy or just to take to my mums to pay my bills.
I love the fact that you can store your pictures on there as well.

So it arrived during the week and i left it with my techie brother to look over, he says it good but i need add on already!

I need to buy a charger because it charges so slow through the computer and I can't connect to the tv with the leads supplied.

Can anyone who watch it please say if they also got the empression that this was something you could do with out folking out more money.( £20 odd from qvc )

Thank you, all the best Pauline

I ordered one of these and am very pleased with it. I have the Archos 405 so knew what to expect with the leads.

I have a 3 pin USB charger which aren't very expensive. It is much more convenient to charge with that than plug it into computer. If you haven't got the red/white/yellow connections, you will also need a scart adapter (which needs to be In and Out or just Out) to connect the Snap On to your DVD/ tv etc. I picked one of this up for a few pounds from a local supermarket.

If you want to view the footage on your Archos on your TV, then I'm afraid you will need another add-on.

Hope this helps.

I went for it in the end, the easypay and the price looked too good to pass up. I suppose it's my own fault that I didn't do the reaearch before buying, but I too discovered that while it was a good deal you had to be prepared to fork out more money to really get the unit doing all they said it would do. I was particularly interested in the DVR snap-on as I wanted to record old tapes onto digital format. I did not realise, when watching the demos, the part where you have to plug it in to an a/c adaptor - which isn't included- and you may need a scart adaptor which also isn't included. It will do GPS, at an extra £70, it will record from TV with a programmer, for an extra £68... OK, it's your choice to buy what you want to make it do what you want...I'm just not that techno savvy and didn't know it. It's a great little unit, though.

i am a little confused does the dvr snap on that was in the package allow us to record from the TVand sky box ect or will i have to buy more software.

I can get it to connect to the internet but it does not remember the password and it will not connect to my mums unless you stand by the router and it refuses to connect to my daughter internet leaving me very bored while baby sitting.

Last question can i recorded from my camcorder to the archos and if so i suppose i will need to buy even more leads and programmes.

Thanks for your help i really don't want t be left with an expensive item i can't or won't use.

This is the second Archos I've bought. I SO wanted it to work and be good as they describe on QVC.
Managed to get hooked to Internet, but realise it would be better to get a DVR docking station which would be another £70/80 ! Now reading I would have needed more kit to watch pictures back on TV :dull:
Its gone back and around £6.70 for the privilage to send back with the correct insurance...I must learn from my mistakes !

i am a little confused does the dvr snap on that was in the package allow us to record from the TVand sky box ect or will i have to buy more software.

I can get it to connect to the internet but it does not remember the password and it will not connect to my mums unless you stand by the router and it refuses to connect to my daughter internet leaving me very bored while baby sitting.

Last question can i recorded from my camcorder to the archos and if so i suppose i will need to buy even more leads and programmes.

Thanks for your help i really don't want t be left with an expensive item i can't or won't use.

As far as i understand it, and I am a novice, the DVR snap on allows recording of video and audio from other sources - but not tv. It allows you to charge the unit faster, with an a/c adaptor not included. I think to record from TV you need either the docking station or the mini dock. The mini will just record, the docking station you can set to record using a scheduler. I also think the snap on will allow you to transfer from camcorder to unit....but I could be all wrong, all the different bits got confusing to me. Be careful there's a docking station, a mini dock, a battery dock and the snap on. Look carefully at what each does before you buy.

Had a quick look on the Archos site, the docking station allows you to record from TV. The mini dock allows you to play back on a tv. snap on allows you to record from other sources. battery dock is play back as well. Then, of course, there is the tv snap on that allows you to watch freeview. ££££s are adding up!

This is the second Archos I've bought. I SO wanted it to work and be good as they describe on QVC.
Managed to get hooked to Internet, but realise it would be better to get a DVR docking station which would be another £70/80 ! Now reading I would have needed more kit to watch pictures back on TV :dull:
Its gone back and around £6.70 for the privilage to send back with the correct insurance...I must learn from my mistakes !

You're lucky, I sent mine back and PO told me SD was only way it could go. Charged me £8.65! When will I learn...:sad:

Latest posts

Back