To bond or not to bond!

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

shushkin!

Registered Shopper
I am curious about the difference between gold plating and gold bonding.
Can anyone on here enlighten me as I dont get it. :11: I know I'm a bit thick!

Can I ask what is the oldest piece of gold bonded jewellery anyone owns on here?. They just say it will last for ages. So what does that mean!
It must look really manky once it starts to wear down especially if it is a
piece of jewellery you where nearly everyday for work for example.

Not sure but. Gold plating is dipping the metal into gold and getting a thin layer which can peel off over time. Wasn't it called rolled gold years ago?

Gold bonding is the gold is bonded to the metal so a thick layer of gold and and stronger and longer staying power.

With rolled gold the gold used to wear off after a couple of weeks then look really naff. Bought it when I was a teenager and couldnt afford the real thing. This is what puts me off these gold plated/bonded things.

i wonder what word they'll come up with next to disguise the fact that its just plain old plating?

"Enrobed"?

I think the rolled gold was with a sort of foiling coating, the plating is dipped and the cladding/bonding is supposed to be a thicker layer and affixed in a secret high-tech manner.

With rolled gold the gold used to wear off after a couple of weeks then look really naff. Bought it when I was a teenager and couldnt afford the real thing. This is what puts me off these gold plated/bonded things.

The base metal wasn't always sterling silver either.
I still have my rolled gold bracelet (the kind you bought years ago that was engraved on one side and plain on the other with a hinge and chain so you wouldn't loose it), and I still wear it and the gold hasn't worn off after 35 years.

As a general rule 1 micron of plating wears away every two years on gold plated jewellery. So ask how thick the plating is on the jewellery you are considering buying and remember that things like rings will suffer above average wear and earrings less.

it is all a bit specific and depends on the quality of the process. I have epiphany diamonique rings, and on one the plating? bonding? actually is coming off in flakes, although I have only worn that ring a couple of times. I have arthiritis in my fingers, and can not wear my engagement ring much in the winter so have worn a epiphany ring on there all the time instead of my engagement ring, and that one is fine? Go figure????

As a general rule 1 micron of plating wears away every two years on gold plated jewellery. So ask how thick the plating is on the jewellery you are considering buying and remember that things like rings will suffer above average wear and earrings less.

Aren't you the scientist!! I'm very impressed, (but then I once got 36 percent for a chemistry test at school so it doesn't take much).
I have noted that Ginetta in particular notes that rings have a much thicker bonding of gold than other items for precisely this reason.

Aren't you the scientist!! I'm very impressed, (but then I once got 36 percent for a chemistry test at school so it doesn't take much).

I doubt Miss James my old science mistress would agree but I worked in the Jewellery Quarter, Hockley, Birmingham for awhile and you pick up a few things!

Thanks for all the input especially Pendragon. Very interesting. Just need to know
now what the thickness is of the QVC plating/bonding etc in gold or platinum.

... that is the question
Whether 'tis nobler to suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune...

by buying a load of bonded/plated tat (I am guilty of said action) or to save up for solid 18ct yellow gold or platinum (well, I have been sensible enough, on occasion, to buy the odd 18ct yellow gold piece). Hmmm... that is, indeed, the question: answered usually by how reckless in spending I feel...

Latest posts

Back