This weeks ASA ruling against Sit Up - 13 February 2013

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

PP - I only posted that because I've locked horns with ILB after some of their forceful comments defending the company
I don't think the indefensible can be defended but alarm bells rang for me a couple of times which made me wonder about their connections to the company
I have noticed that they will agree with tongue in cheek stuff then, with me, became rude and insulting (they did acknowledge it though)
So whilst I'm not assassinating ILB I'm very cautious and wary of them.

Merryone - you're right; I've returned stuff and had to pay the return postage and I didn't get P&P refunded,just the cost of the item

I'm happy to agree when these channels are wrong, and regarding P+P they are legally obliged under the distance selling regulations to refund that money, I can't understand why they do not.

But in all ther areas discussed in this thread I can't agree, these channels simply are not that bad - I've never had a bad buying experience with them. Remember they are a discount channel, not Harrods TV. Criminals? Absolutely not, you've obviously never met any real criminals...

I'm happy to agree when these channels are wrong, and regarding P+P they are legally obliged under the distance selling regulations to refund that money, I can't understand why they do not.

But in all ther areas discussed in this thread I can't agree, these channels simply are not that bad - I've never had a bad buying experience with them. Remember they are a discount channel, not Harrods TV. Criminals? Absolutely not, you've obviously never met any real criminals...
Come on ILB, fess up please, you're one of Peter Simon's mates aren't you, (or his boss, or both)? :giggle: (You have already said that you met him when he was Ronald MacDonald in an earlier role). You can't kid us anymore :mysmilie_61:

Last edited:

They aren't that bad, now.

Sadly the improvements have all been forced on them. Do please remember it's the ASA who have ordered the improvements. The same ASA that are funded by companies like Sit Up who advertise, not by the state.

I think that kind of says it all, dosen't it?

Come on ILB, fess up please, you're one of Peter Simon's mates aren't you, (or his boss, or both)? :giggle: (You have already said that you met him when he was Ronald MacDonald in an earlier role). You can't kid us anymore :mysmilie_61:

Ha, I swear to God (on the worry angels) that I have nothing to do with them or him, I met him years ago in Cleethorpes when I worked for McDonalds.

He's great to watch, his sales technique is rock solid and he's second in rude limericks only to Terry Wogan.

They aren't that bad, now.

Sadly the improvements have all been forced on them. Do please remember it's the ASA who have ordered the improvements. The same ASA that are funded by companies like Sit Up who advertise, not by the state.

I think that kind of says it all, dosen't it?

I think they've chosen to take the ASS rulings and implement them, I would imagine they view them as 'Free' market research - no harm in seeing what the effects of implementing them are, ie, they mention the shipping cost like crazy now and it doesn't seem to be slowing up the slew of 400 a time tacky jewellery from flying out.

I'm sure if they legally challenged the ASS, they'd find that they're under no obligation to follow their rulings.

Ha, I swear to God (on the worry angels) that I have nothing to do with them or him, I met him years ago in Cleethorpes when I worked for McDonalds.

He's great to watch, his sales technique is rock solid and he's second in rude limericks only to Terry Wogan.

I'm sure Sir Terry would be very flattered to be compared to Peter Simon.

I think they've chosen to take the ASS rulings and implement them, I would imagine they view them as 'Free' market research - no harm in seeing what the effects of implementing them are, ie, they mention the shipping cost like crazy now and it doesn't seem to be slowing up the slew of 400 a time tacky jewellery from flying out.

I'm sure if they legally challenged the ASS, they'd find that they're under no obligation to follow their rulings.

You might be right, but they do seem to be following them though :happy:

And in due course I rather suspect there'll be plenty more rulings for them to follow.

Plenty more :wink:

You can't put Sir Tezza in the same category or indeed sentence with Peter Simon ILB, I can't allow it lol. (Larry Grayson possibly, Ronald Mac yes) :mysmilie_61:

Last edited:

I live 30 seconds from McDonalds in Cleethorpes (Grimsby Rd near the football ground). Small world isn't it lol.

His sales technique absolutely stinks. He's just sold a handbag - needless to say it was 'simply magnificent', 'extroadinary' and the best bag he has done for gawd knows how long (well, until next week, I expect), so 'just grab it'. It was the normal load of old cobblers, but not once did he open up the bag to show the interior. The silly old goat should have been put out to grass years ago :smirk:

His sales technique absolutely stinks. He's just sold a handbag - needless to say it was 'simply magnificent', 'extroadinary' and the best bag he has done for gawd knows how long (well, until next week, I expect), so 'just grab it'. It was the normal load of old cobblers, but not once did he open up the bag to show the interior. The silly old goat should have been put out to grass years ago :smirk:

yes, I noticed that and then the next bag he waffled on about 'it's not mulberry etc.' but he did open it and kept his fingers over the T&K label on the inside......very strange!

I think you're all being very mean to Ilovebid.

They bought an egg cooker that makes magic eggs (or something) and was so impressed by this purchase that they simply will not hear a word said against Bid!

Is there anything wrong with continually appearing in a forum where people are VERY vocal about being unhappy about a company's actions (and rather than just sit there and complain impotently about it, actually get off their backsides and get things changed) and constantly posting stuff that seems designed to infuriate the regulars?

Well yes, as it happens. But I for one don't believe that Ilovebid enjoys winding people up and seeing what kind of reaction they can get on here. Not at all. I believe Ilovebid when they say their egg cooker was their bestest purchase EVER.

It takes two to tango. You can't blame a troll for coming back and posting tripe if you continue to pay attention to it.

Not that I think Ilovebid is anything but a very satisfied Bid customer. Of course.

Last edited:
I think you're all being very mean to Ilovebid.

They bought an egg cooker that makes magic eggs (or something) and was so impressed by this purchase that they simply will not hear a word said against Bid!

Is there anything wrong with continually appearing in a forum where people are VERY vocal about being unhappy about a company's actions (and rather than just sit there and complain impotently about it, actually get off their backsides and get things changed) and constantly posting stuff that seems designed to infuriate the regulars?

Well yes, as it happens. But I for one don't believe that Ilovebid enjoys winding people up and seeing what kind of reaction they can get on here. Not at all. I believe Ilovebid when they say their egg cooker was their bestest purchase EVER.

It takes two to tango. You can't blame a troll for coming back and posting tripe if you continue to pay attention to it.

Not that I think Ilovebid is anything but a very satisfied Bid customer. Of course.

A microwave safe, plastic style oval container you crack an egg in for a few quid.

Not exactly a £500, gold plated Tanzo ring that on valuation would make you faint is it?

Or a 'space diamond' that supposedly cannot be created on earth when in fact that's exactly what they are (created in a laboratory). Thankfully people seem to be getting wise to this now.

Last edited:

yes, I noticed that and then the next bag he waffled on about 'it's not mulberry etc.' but he did open it and kept his fingers over the T&K label on the inside......very strange!

I saw him with a bag with lots of straps round it and he was embarassing to watch, caressing it, leaning over it, almost slobbering on it.

I'd just turned over from QVC and Lulu Guinness with her bags which cost hundreds of pounds. Selling like hotcakes with the minimum of effort.

What a difference, not only in style, not only in presentation........what a pathetic specimen he is :smirk:

I saw him with a bag with lots of straps round it and he was embarassing to watch, caressing it, leaning over it, almost slobbering on it.

I'd just turned over from QVC and Lulu Guinness with her bags which cost hundreds of pounds. Selling like hotcakes with the minimum of effort.

What a difference, not only in style, not only in presentation........what a pathetic specimen he is :smirk:

The Berkeley bag sale was just weird Momma, he was almost in 'tears'. Good to see he had loads left though ha ha.

on price drop this weekend they are touting that every order gets £10 credit added to their account and the on air presenters are keen to tell you about it but i noticed after i bought a product last night that it does not apply online surely thats another breach or can someone clarify this .... thank you

on price drop this weekend they are touting that every order gets £10 credit added to their account and the on air presenters are keen to tell you about it but i noticed after i bought a product last night that it does not apply online surely thats another breach or can someone clarify this .... thank you
Don't know what's happening in relation to the "every order gets £10 credit" promotion, but if you think that they missold the offer then please do contact the Advertising Standards Authority with your complaint:

http://www.asa.org.uk/Consumers/How-to-complain.aspx

The more complaints the ASA receives from genuine customers, the greater the chance that constructive action will be taken in respect of the Bid Shopping (Sit-up) channels.

Don't know what's happening in relation to the "every order gets £10 credit" promotion, but if you think that they missold the offer then please do contact the Advertising Standards Authority with your complaint:

http://www.asa.org.uk/Consumers/How-to-complain.aspx

The more complaints the ASA receives from genuine customers, the greater the chance that constructive action will be taken in respect of the Bid Shopping (Sit-up) channels.

thats the reason why i am asking just wanted a bit clarification as i'm certainly not paying £1,53 to chat to their customer services & they do not provide an e-mail address which is shocking for such a company thanks for the feedback

Tonight Peter said someone had said about him not showing the inside of the bags (Helen's mum) so he will do and he also said because of the ASA rulings i'm not allowed to say but its not, its not

I find it quite funny how he goes its not a Mulberry, I know but its not but we hear what your saying, 1 person sent Helen a message asking if it was a "insert expensive brand name here" but its not, its not alright

Latest posts

Back