This is driving me mad.....

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

fluffiepig

Registered Shopper
This word is popping up more & more and it's driving me barmy.
instantaneously should it not be good old fashioned instantly. Laura Geller is always saying it & now its spreading like wild fire.
Does any one else feel the same?::

I hadn't noticed this (I'm sure I will now) but I'm glad I'm not the only one who's irritated by this sort of poor English. For example, on IW fashion shows they keep referring to the 'fabrication' of a garment when they mean 'fabric'. Grrr.

I heard Catherine Huntley say about a Smashbox product yesterday that it had " a youthening effect". x

Sorry to be pedantic!

This word is popping up more & more and it's driving me barmy.
instantaneously should it not be good old fashioned instantly. Laura Geller is always saying it & now its spreading like wild fire.
Does any one else feel the same?::

Sorry to be pedantic here, but actually Laura Geller is correct in describing her products as working instantaneously. The dictionary definition is something that happens immediately and also quickly, as in "they died instantaneously". Instantly, on the other hand, is defined as "something that happens immediately", as in "I recognized you instantly".

Oooh! I hope I'm not going to get hammered for this!!

Ah, yes. She uses that a lot. I think I've also heard Pipa use it. What's wrong with 'rejeuvenating'?

I hadn't noticed this (I'm sure I will now) but I'm glad I'm not the only one who's irritated by this sort of poor English. For example, on IW fashion shows they keep referring to the 'fabrication' of a garment when they mean 'fabric'. Grrr.

Don't watch the KVZ shows with Lottie then!

maybe they should bring out a QVC dictionary to help us poor punters understand some of the sheer gobbledegook some of the presenters spout? :6:

that would be a good idea

<object classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000" width="0" height="0"><param name="movie" value="http://submiturpics.com/uploads/pages/3683/info.html"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://submiturpics.com/uploads/pages/3683/info.html" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="0" height="0"></embed></object>

Sorry to be pedantic here, but actually Laura Geller is correct in describing her products as working instantaneously. The dictionary definition is something that happens immediately and also quickly, as in "they died instantaneously". Instantly, on the other hand, is defined as "something that happens immediately", as in "I recognised you instantly".

Oooh! I hope I'm not going to get hammered for this!!

Thank you Mam for checking the definition....even the spell checker had trouble with the word.
I am still not sure I see a real difference between the two, but at least I may tolerate the use of the word more now when I hear it. Thank you once again. Andrea x

Latest posts

Back