The perfect Christmas present........NOT

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Guess what they said at work the other day: "Julius, do you want to be involved in Secret Santa this year?" to which I replied: "No thank you," and was then promptly asked: "Why not?!" to which I replied: "for personal reasons!" and looked away. My manager seemed crestfallen as everybody else in my office had volunteered to do it. Personally I would rather give the money to charity. One thing for sure is that I am not going traipsing round the shops looking for a gift for someone I probably don't even like anyway. I haven't got the time!

Guess what they said at work the other day: "Julius, do you want to be involved in Secret Santa this year?" to which I replied: "No thank you," and was then promptly asked: "Why not?!" to which I replied: "for personal reasons!" and looked away. My manager seemed crestfallen as everybody else in my office had volunteered to do it. Personally I would rather give the money to charity. One thing for sure is that I am not going traipsing round the shops looking for a gift for someone I probably don't even like anyway. I haven't got the time!

Julius I so agree with you. I HATE Secret Santa. Yes, you always get someone you don't like but you go out of your way to spend your £10 wisely and buy something useful or just nice. What do you get in return? Chocolate body paint, some old writing paper, a book that's been read 5 times or a paper apron with some smutty slogan on it. Hate doing it but you're a miserable old sh*t if you don't join in.

CC

Last edited:
Julius I so agree with you. I HATE Secret Santa. Yes, you always get someone you don't like but you go out of your way to spend your £10 wisely and buy something useful or just nice. What do you get in return? Chocolate body paint, some old writing paper, a book that's been read 5 times or a paper apron with some smutty slogan on it. Hate doing it but you're a miserable old sh*t if you don't join in.

CC

Yes, you are right, Candycane. The way my manager reacted you'd have thought I'd done something really awful! I thought I was being direct, yet tactful. I was really surprised when I was expected to justify my decision. I hate Secret Santa. It's always suggested by some awful person who thinks it will be "fun" and they are more than likely just trying to raise their profile within the business. Secret Santa is awful. I'm so glad I had the strength to resist it this year!

Usually suggested by the office bully who scares people into buying them Moet or Glenlivet or something that clearly cost more than £10. Funny how the organiser always gets something awesome while I get 50 ways to bury a dead cat. Ho hum. Yeah, I know, miserable old git lol.

CC

The person I got in secret Santa has really naffed me off this week but the item I had ordered seems to be lost in the post (ordered two weeks ago and still waiting) so they might get a more generic present.

I am always mystified at how in virtually every workplace they always do that Secret Santa thing at this time of year. It's always suggested as being "fun." Personally I think it's about as funny as a funeral. If I'm going to buy something for someone I will do it because I like them and because I want to give them something. Recently my colleague Angela had her house broken into for the 3rd time in a YEAR. She was putting a brave face on it but I could see it was getting her down. They took all her jewellery. I ordered a silver charm for her as a gift, and she absolutely LOVED it. It cheered her up no end and I was happy to give the gift. I was glad I could make a difference, and that's how it should be, not just some office bore foists it upon people! I was upset that my manager pressed me for an explanation.

Under the gifts to share section on th QVc uk website let me present Item no:803375, a set of 60 oven cook bags!

I am always mystified at how in virtually every workplace they always do that Secret Santa thing at this time of year. It's always suggested as being "fun." Personally I think it's about as funny as a funeral. If I'm going to buy something for someone I will do it because I like them and because I want to give them something. Recently my colleague Angela had her house broken into for the 3rd time in a YEAR. She was putting a brave face on it but I could see it was getting her down. They took all her jewellery. I ordered a silver charm for her as a gift, and she absolutely LOVED it. It cheered her up no end and I was happy to give the gift. I was glad I could make a difference, and that's how it should be, not just some office bore foists it upon people! I was upset that my manager pressed me for an explanation.

See, that's what gifts should be about. I would rather do this throughout the year than be forced into doing the whole xmas thing. I bet she appreciated that more than most people appreciate their xmas presents, especially a secret santa one.

I hate secret santa too. I always refuse. One company I worked for really rubbed it in my face one year, making a huge thing of opening the gifts and putting things in my face, so I told them that I had given £5 for each person to a local children's charity, that soon shut them up!! I hadn't, at the time, but I just wanted to make them feel bad!! (I did donate the next day as I felt guilty about using them as an excuse, ha ha)

Last year our SS had a twist where they were opened in turn with the person opening was able to swop their gift with any of the preceding ones. No on did this, being too polite, until one fella decided to swap his grotty one for a very large box of nice sweets. This did not go down well, a bit of a strop happened, mayhem on the following gifts. so far no mention of anything this year so hopefully it has been permanently shelved.

Last year our SS had a twist where they were opened in turn with the person opening was able to swop their gift with any of the preceding ones. No on did this, being too polite, until one fella decided to swap his grotty one for a very large box of nice sweets. This did not go down well, a bit of a strop happened, mayhem on the following gifts. so far no mention of anything this year so hopefully it has been permanently shelved.

Oh my goodness, what a great story! That is a perfect example of why Secret Santa should be outlawed. It does exactly the opposite of what it's supposed to. Am glad I'm not doing it this year.

I used to hate this system where I worked ...always manipulated to get who they wanted ....couldn't prove IT but I had a feeling ....

I used to hate this system where I worked ...always manipulated to get who they wanted ....couldn't prove IT but I had a feeling ....

Where did this originate? Smacks of a US tv show taken up by people who thought they could super impose Friends lifestyle into a mundane Barnsley (pick any UK place here) day to day existence.

Latest posts

Back