The Letter

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I didn't realize that a "return" is also non-delivery, faulty item, poor quality etc. I phoned them up once about returning something - can't remember what - and the very nice guy on the end of the phone said, no problem, I see you don't return that much. After I'd put down the phone I thought, what???? So maybe they give us scores or something (like a little red scowly face if you've been angry or a yawn if you talk too long? What would you get if you complained about a presenter?)

If the item was faulty its not a case of no problem its covered by the Direct Selling Regulations which is an addition to the Sale of Goods Act
See Which guide to Distance selling Regulations and who bares the cost of faulty goods returns

It is 'no quibble/no questions asked' as long as you don't return a high proportion of your purchases. It would be a bit of a mouthful for them to explain that each time they mentioned the money-back guarantee though, and get in the way of the hard sell.

It's a balancing act for QVC; the 30 day money back guarantee is their Unique Selling Point but they also need to limit their returns rate.

I totally agree that the whole returns / letter issue is pretty dubious, but I think QVCs argument would be that it's not the actual return that is quibblable, but the amount of those returns, ie the terms aren't about a return itself, but about your membership, IYKWIM. I'm not saying its right by the way, it does smack of being a bit economical with the facts, I'm just saying I reckon that'd be their argument.

I know there's been some discussion about returning of creams with none left in the pot etc, which I think is a bit of a different issue to what's being discussed here.

If the item was faulty its not a case of no problem its covered by the Direct Selling Regulations which is an addition to the Sale of Goods Act
See Which guide to Distance selling Regulations and who bares the cost of faulty goods returns

The problem is, when QVC calculate a buyer's "return rate" they don't differentiate between cancelled orders (under DSR or because an item is faulty) and those sent back under their 30 day MBG . My "quibble" is this is impacting on our statutory "sale of goods" and DSR rights, which legally cannot be limited by a retailer either by its contact terms or by applying other conditions (ie 49% or less). If I bought 66 items in a 12 month period but returned 35 of them under DSR or because the item was faulty, never arrived, or the wrong item sent then QVC (as far as we can tell) would send me "The Letter" because they don't record these separately. I have to say I would love to tackle them if this happened.

I return as many items as possible by cancelling the order by email within 7 days under the Distance Selling Regs (apart from the odd faulty/incorrect item) to minimise my 30 day mbg returns and if they ever send me the letter again I'll be ready for them because unlike qvc I do record the reasons for every return or cancelled order. DSR is supposed to offer the distance buyer the equivalent of picking up and inspecting an item in a shop. You can take it out of the packaging, feel the fabric or compare the colour to you face or furniture or whatever but if it's not for you you can "put it back on the shop rail" and send it back. Can you imagine being in M&S and picking up 5 jumpers and putting them back and the staff telling you not to pick up so many without buying one?

And another thing: when I spoke to the CS person for my telling off after the Letter, he couldn't tell me the parameters of the 12 month period used for the calculation of the returns percentage. Surely someone at QVC knows whether it's a rolling 12 months, a Jan - Dec calendar month or an April to April tax year but the CS person wasn't interested in discussing their goal posts, the exaggerations of the presenters or their encouraging me to buy more than one and send back the one I don't like or doesn't fit, but he just wanted to tell me off.

Finally, QVC do not stand the cost of returns that can't be resold, the vendor does.

Last edited:
All the hassle this generates for people could all be stopped by them simply putting "see our website for terms and conditions" on screen occasionally.

The position of the "Letter" paragraph seems to suggest that only returns under the 30 day MBG are subject to this scutiny and sanctions because it immediately follows the MBG information:

9.3 It is our policy to contact and work with customers whose level of returns is very high. This is to ensure that our prices are not negatively impacted by the cost to QVC of dealing with an extremely high number of returns by a small minority of customers. If a customer continues to return an extremely high number of products to us, we reserve the right to close their account. If this happens the customer's statutory rights will remain unaffected, orders accepted by us before the account has been closed will be fulfilled in accordance with these terms and individual product warranties will continue to be honoured in accordance with their terms.

The subsequent paragraphs go on to outline the "DSR cancellation procedure" (9.4) and the statutory rights to a refund where the item is faulty. These are statutory rights which cannot be limited by the terms of a contract, so they can't be subject to a quota or percentage. Every item you order from QVC you have the right to cancel so these returns shouldn't be counted by QVC in deciding whether or not you're a serial returner. I'm sure they're just as much of an inconvenience in Q's eyes!

QVC like all any retailer can still strike you off for whatever reason and refuse further sales but it's the lumping all returns together that I object to. Also the fact that "work with customers" either means a telling off or a closing of an account without notice. They won't publish what time period is monitored, moving the start and finish dates could give a whole different result.

I reported an allergic reaction to CS as my doctor told me, then paid to return the item - should I have asked for a label? I know CS were excellent when I ordered something for a relative to wear in hospital but she passed away before it arrived.

Everything I've ever bought from QVC I intended to keep.However as someone has said I know almost straightaway if its for me and if I ever feel dissatisfied in ANY way - I return it simples.My argument with QVC the first time I had this was that is was my time and money I was wasting not theirs.However I truly did not think of it as sampling.I just used to think how do I know what it feels like etc until I see it.I don't think I've ever used my 30 day MBG - I used to send stuff back always first class recorded,pretty much the same or next day!

I don't feel I'm taking the pee - I haven't worn it all or used it all for 30 days - its obviously not as expected and therefore returned! just as I would to another company!

RD your account usage sounds like a carbon copy of how mine was and I never felt I was taking the pi$$ either, just using the mbg as constantly urged to do so by the presenters. I see from your 1st post that James told you that your return rate was 59%, what a coincidence because that's exactly what he said mine was too but QVC went ahead and closed my account anyway. Is this a number they just pick out of the air or do they make it up as they go along? Who knows? Tbh I haven't missed shopping with QVC at all and my bank balance is a lot healthier!!

The most annoying thing is I dont actually want QVC to close my account - and this year I've only bought a handful of items - most it appears have been sent back.So if next year I buy say 3 things ..............................and send 3 back......................does that count me as blacklisted??!! i just dont get it............I'm not buying thousands of pounds...or even hundreds of their merchandise,using it and sending it back??

I'm shocked PPC that they would close your account over a 59% return rate :taphead: Its their loss.....and I think QVC are making a bit of a loss at the moment by the caliber of presenters left!!!

If you buy an expensive cream, simply get it home, remove the contents and fill up the jar with some cheap product from the dreaded High Street and return it. Bam! Melatogeneeeeeeen for a fraction of the price!

That's essentially theft: the intention to receive goods without paying for them. It's that sort of deceit which necessitates both QVC's draconian returns limit policy and higher overall prices as retailers pass on the cost of others' deceit.

If you buy an expensive cream, simply get it home, remove the contents and fill up the jar with some cheap product from the dreaded High Street and return it. Bam! Melatogeneeeeeeen for a fraction of the price!

We shouldn't be encouraging this , it's dishonest... And it's theft

Latest posts

Back