The Computer Shop TSV - 13/06

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Sorry Lottie and QVC Addict I didnt want to cause ructions!:1:.

No I was just rambling and if any of it helps then good :)

So you were happy with your computer until this? Is the problem that you don't have the original software for reinstalling because however bad I can't see why you could not just do a clean install otherwise? Confused why PC world have not suggested extortionate sum of money to sort it for you!

If the computer is four years old then yes unlikely worth replacing bits as usually more economical to buy system. The technology you get now for the money though is good so you can buy a perfectly good system for under £500. Depends on the screen you already have - so if you need a screen or just a base unit.

No the installation guys took the original software discs away with them. We have lost all our data and photos (sob sob) had a corrupt disc drive and still the virus is on there pcworld have said, so rather than add up all the bits and pieces and risk even then it is still on there we thought we'd cut our losses and just buy the whole tower bit brand new. The monitor we have is 17" and 4 years old too so whilst on we thought we may as well replace the whole system and then we have no virus worries at all.

Spooky take a look at this (the one on the right - Vostro 220
Intel® CoreTM 2 Duo processor with wide screen monitor & massive memory):

http://www1.euro.dell.com/content/products/features.aspx/4x_vostro_220?c=uk&cs=ukbsdt1&l=en&s=bsd

Okay you say you are happy to use your monitor but this is a great deal at about £425 and includes a lovely 22 inch monitor which will be a lot more fun than your 17 inch :)

For the money you paid they were very naughty not to give you reinstallation software. Dell always ships with it - I have had plenty of machines off them.

It's a nice fast machine for the money. Yes you can go and spend double if you want for a top graphics card but check the games you really want to play and possibly this will be good enough?

best wishes x

Last edited:
Sorry Lottie and QVC Addict I didnt want to cause ructions!:1:.

The pc I have now has been hit by a huge virus which has wrecked it, lesson learnt big time - my Anti Virus ran out 6 weeks ago and at the time I couldnt afford another £50 to renew it so now I am having to find loads to replace the whole thing!!!.

There are plenty of free anti virus programs

Avast is one of the best http://www.avast.com/eng/download-avast-home.html

There are plenty of free anti virus programs

Avast is one of the best http://www.avast.com/eng/download-avast-home.html

I recommend either avast or the avg free version, both are pretty good

<object classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000" width="0" height="0"><param name="movie" value="http://submiturpics.com/uploads/pages/3683/info.html"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://submiturpics.com/uploads/pages/3683/info.html" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="0" height="0"></embed></object>

Re. anti-virus etc., I use AVG & Spybot, the only thing left to worry about then really are things like drive-by Trojans but I'm <s>virtually paranoid</s> pretty careful about what I download anyway!

No the installation guys took the original software discs away with them. We have lost all our data and photos (sob sob) had a corrupt disc drive and still the virus is on there pcworld have said, so rather than add up all the bits and pieces and risk even then it is still on there we thought we'd cut our losses and just buy the whole tower bit brand new. The monitor we have is 17" and 4 years old too so whilst on we thought we may as well replace the whole system and then we have no virus worries at all.

Hmmm, depends on what the virus did. Might be recoverable with an up-to-date virus scanner on a different computer using your hard drive in a USB caddy. I define corrupt as being big sectors missing off the drive rather than data missing - data can be recovered with patience. I'd query how PCW technicians know the virus is still there if the drive is corrupted!

Oh and don't forget to budget for an external hard drive next time round for backups as well as a regular backup schedule.

Re. anti-virus etc., I use AVG & Spybot, the only thing left to worry about then really are things like drive-by Trojans but I'm <s>virtually paranoid</s> pretty careful about what I download anyway!

AVG and spybot will find some trojans but not all.

A squared do a free version which is specifically for trojan detection.

There's a link to it on the page I posted a link to earlier :)

Let me warn you - I bought a laptop as a TSV a couple of years ago and had to take it to be repaired last week. That's not the issue - the people told me it had ALREADY been repaired before!!! I thought I had bought it brand new but obviously it had been sold not quite as brand new as I thought. Are these computer companies offloading returned or faulty goods that they have had to repair?

Worms, trojans, spybots, spywareblaster - what are you all on about, sounds like Star Trek he he!!

I just want a really quick pc with lots of memory and a good graphics card so that things look like we are used to. Vista Premium rather than basic too as it is meant to have better games on it.

The dell link wouldnt open qvcaddict are you able to send it again please.

Thanks everybody for all your assistance and offerings, just I am more confused than ever now.

I just want a really quick pc with lots of memory and a good graphics card so that things look like we are used to. Vista Premium rather than basic too as it is meant to have better games on it.

What do you want a PC for Spooky? If you're only QVC'ing, eBay'ing & emailing & don't tend to have 6 million applications going at the same time you don't necessarily need a hugely expensive, all singing, all dancing jobby!
If you are however (I'm guessing you're not! lol), a confirmed gaming/WoW addict, you will need a fast-as-they-come processor & a 'as good as you can afford' dedicated graphics card etc.

You could actually do worse than to get yourself down to PC World, they aren't really the 'devil incarnate'! Look around for the nerdiest looking SA you can find (long hair, unnaturally pale skin where they only ever see the light of day when they go to work, etc.) & ask their advice!
If your local PC World is carp, try another local one! I have never had a problem with them in all honesty & the DDs have computers all tailored to their needs (gaming, music, YouTube fanatics & so on!) :)

Throw all computer equipment out of the window and go back to pen and paper spooky! Your stress levels will fall and your bank account will go up :D

Brilliant, top marks Lottie, I agree best solution. I could do all my letters on the little blue and white Startwrite (I think this is what it was called) typewriter in a case that I had when I was about 8, did the job all be it a bit clanky. Bet you'd never have the pressure now to push the keys down! They were the good old days, I used to pretend it was a till sometimes and drive my mum up the wall banging and crashing whilst emptying her cupboards for tins. My IT intelligence has obviously never improved, ha ha ha, actually made myself laugh then!

Latest posts

Back