Tanzanite

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Brissles

Registered Shopper
We are well passed the 10 year cut off point that I remember Dale going on about, with regards to the supply of Tanzanite, in his market spiel when it first appeared on QVC. He reckoned there was only a finite supply, and a maximum of 10 years mining left. Yet amazingly its still being offered. Shows that you shouldn't believe anything that comes out of their mouths.

They also never mention the stuff they should - like many of their Tanzanite pieces are heat-treated. They should explain what this means, how it affects the stones and how to look after them. But they don't.

The moral of the story is don't believe what they say and look further for what they don't.

I love the colour of Tanzanite but would not pay the prices they charge for it. I have noticed that most jewellery shops still have a range of it on sale so no shortage yet. It’s a big con imo.

They still sell it by the shed load on Gems, even in silver now. Of course the Tanzanite mine has been closed by the government to stop over mining. This counts as the warning, warning Will Robinson danger, danger type thing.

You know what? Want a really great looking Tanzanite buy a Diamonique version one. Really £25 or so much harder stone and won't fade.

Donna, I did just that a few years ago, and with the sparkle of the surrounding 'diamonds' it does look really good, and not 'cheap' looking at all.

Anyone remember the ammonite that the shopping channels used to sell with a similar spiel?, every piece was unique and of course the piece they were using for the demo was always the best example they could lay their hands on, with flashes of all the colours in all their glory. I ordered myself a pair of earrings and a pendant and when I got it the stone was nothing more than a tiny largely brown circular disc - Gutted didn't quite cover it. Again that was in the days of my being too lazy to send anything back. I do remember however, sending a tanzanite ring back to IW because the stones were so small and insignificant and as it cost me £100 I wasn't having it!!!
Funnily enough fairly recently I treated myself to a sterling silver pendant and earring set with lavender cz surrounded by tiny diamonds (though it's more of a cadbury's dairy milk wrapper colour). I love it and I've actually had someone notice the necklace and say " That's pretty" - That's all you need. I'd rather that than have the need to spend an arm and a leg on something in order for it to look worthy of comment or to have somebody say "wow, that must've cost a bit"!

I really miss the presenters especially on bid telling us that "These are all being bought up by the trade, who will sell them at a huge profit"!

Tanzanite is popular across the pond. I’ve see it being worn on cruise ships and sold in the Caribbean. It’s ok but I’d much rather have a beautiful blue sapphire. Classier imo.

When we visited Jamaica we browsed a jewellery shop and they had some huge and fantastic pieces of tanzanite jewellery. You also see a lot of it in Turkish jewellers too. It`s a stone I`ve never been interested in buying. I love the colour purple but I have a beautiful large oval Amethyst pendant and matching earrings in a deep purple colour which satisfies my need for a purple fix every now and again and it probably cost me a darn sight less than something of a similar size in tanzanite.

I remember when Tanzanite was first shown on QVC and was described as the colour of Cadbury Dairy Milk wrapper. The Tanzanite we see now is blue and not purple! The paler variety is still a light purple. But two local jewellers very high end £17,000+ pieces sell it and I think is that Tanzanite or Ceylon Sapphire?

Purple for me is amethyst and purple sapphire, which is gorgeous.

I know Tanzanite comes out of the ground brown and has to be heated to get the colour, and it can be bi colour or even pink these days.

I bought a diamonique tanzanite ring just recently in the sale, luckily my size was the only one left so I nabbed it. I haven't seen it yet though (sent to mum's). Diamonique does look reasonably real as I had on a gold/eek solitaire on my ring finger and mum thought Mr CC had got it for me and she might have to run out and buy a hat :LOL::LOL:💍

CC

I remember when Tanzanite was first shown on QVC and was described as the colour of Cadbury Dairy Milk wrapper. The Tanzanite we see now is blue and not purple! The paler variety is still a light purple. But two local jewellers very high end £17,000+ pieces sell it and I think is that Tanzanite or Ceylon Sapphire?

Purple for me is amethyst and purple sapphire, which is gorgeous.

I know Tanzanite comes out of the ground brown and has to be heated to get the colour, and it can be bi colour or even pink these days.
I have a blue zircon (not to be confused with CZ) and diamond ring from Beaverbrooks bought in the 80’s. Blue zircon is brown naturally and gets heated and mine is still lovely.

Oh, Loveinamist, I have a two blue Zircon ring in white and yellow gold, no diamonds. The white gold one is a bypass style and the yellow is rub over. I have heard it said that Zircon has more refraction that diamonds.

I've got a 7 stone Tanzanite ring in a diamond shape set in silver. I got this from Gems before it changed to Gemporia so had it quite a few years and still looks lovely and it was an absolute bargain.

Oh, Loveinamist, I have a two blue Zircon ring in white and yellow gold, no diamonds. The white gold one is a bypass style and the yellow is rub over. I have heard it said that Zircon has more refraction that diamonds.
I’ve heard that too donna, that would be the white zircon I think.

Latest posts

Back