Sunday Riley TSV 04/10/24

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

In the days when people used bars of soap, we always stuck the last sliver of the old bar onto the new one.

In fact, Pears soap (anyone remember that, it was transparent) actually ENCOURAGED it, explaining that was what the hollow in the soap was for.

I never dilute things like shower gel to get the dregs out, instead I put a funnel into the new bottle then turn the old one upside down into the funnel. Sometimes it takes hours to drain out, but eventually there is no waste at all.

And I cut open toothpaste tubes and can get a few days use out of what is stuck inside.

Also, when I boil a kettle, I put any surplus water into a vacuum flask, which keeps hot ebough for most uses, or I can pour it back into the ketle to reheat, it stays hot for about 10 hours or more and saves a lot of electricity. I don't heat up more than necessary, but you have to fill it to the minimum level, which is more than a mug full for making tea etc.

Hmmm. Used to?

I was sticking the last sliver of my old bar onto my new one earlier after I'd been cutting open the nearly empty toothpaste tube (no joke).

I do dilute the last dregs of shower/hand gel/shampoo as I like the way it gets the rest of my gel super bubbly (I use a Japanese wash cloth that does that anyway but super bubbly is always nicer).

It's more a waste-not want-not thing with me. Old habits die hard.

I boil a minimum of two cups when I boil the kettle as I'm a tea addict, have a massive mug and always make it in the pot so only one teabag needed.

I'd suggest bigger mugs, Strato. Save the hassle, enjoy more tea. Win win :)

Hmmm. Used to?

I was sticking the last sliver of my old bar onto my new one earlier after I'd been cutting open the nearly empty toothpaste tube (no joke).

I do dilute the last dregs of shower/hand gel/shampoo as I like the way it gets the rest of my gel super bubbly (I use a Japanese wash cloth that does that anyway but super bubbly is always nicer).

I boil a minimum of two cups when I boil the kettle as I'm a tea addict, have a massive mug and always make it in the pot so only one teabag needed.

When my mum and dad were alive, my dad was famous for reusing tea bags and I mean they were in the teapot. My mum used to ask when handed a cup of tea if it was a fresh one? Cannot remember for sure, but I swear he used the same teabag at least 3 times. 🤣

When my mum and dad were alive, my dad was famous for reusing tea bags and I mean they were in the teapot. My mum used to ask when handed a cup of tea if it was a fresh one? Cannot remember for sure, but I swear he used the same teabag at least 3 times. 🤣
I know someone who likes their tea so weak that they just waft a teabag over their mug - - yes, that is an exaggeration, but she does only put it in for a few seconds. which seems a waste of a good teabag.

Hmmm. Used to?

I have a Ninja Temperature control kettle which is brilliant. Coffee heat 95C for my freshly ground beans n my Aeropress. Put kettle on temperature hold and it keeps correct heat for 30 mins. Just enough time for a second cup. I only put 2 mugs worth of water so I’m not wasting electricity.

I only fill my kettle with enough water for a mug of coffee and I have two mugs a day maximum. The exception to that is when I have to fill it to make Easyio yoghurt. However, my water comes straight from the mains, rather than having a water tank in the loft, which means I can fill the kettle with hot water from the tap which cuts down the time that it takes to boil.

I only fill my kettle with enough water for a mug of coffee and I have two mugs a day maximum. The exception to that is when I have to fill it to make Easyio yoghurt. However, my water comes straight from the mains, rather than having a water tank in the loft, which means I can fill the kettle with hot water from the tap which cuts down the time that it takes to boil.
It is not advisable to use hot water tap for drinking, putting in kettle etc....

It is not advisable to use hot water tap for drinking, putting in kettle etc....
I didn’t realise that, although it’s not boiling hot water. It’s hand hot.

Can I ask why? (Although I probably should know.)

I didn’t realise that, although it’s not boiling hot water. It’s hand hot.

Can I ask why? (Although I probably should know.)
If you've got a hot water tank, there could be a buildup of bacteria in the tank, and also sludge at the bottom, as it will hardly ever be emptied fully, so a proportion of the water could have been there for years.

On the other hand, if you've got a combi boiler, this only heats the water when you turn on the tap, and is not stored anywhere. And if you wait until it runs hot, any stale hot water in the pipes will be flushed out, so it should be safe to drink. But in any case, once it has been boiled or heated above about 90C , it will be sterilised anyway.

Gas is about 1/4 price of electricity, they even said this on Radio 4 today.

The conclusion is, I drink it from the hot tap sometimes, but I am not qualified to advise anyone else to do this.

Last edited:
Thanks, Strato. 🙂

I don’t have a hot water tank or a tank of any kind as the water comes straight from the mains through plastic pipes. I do have a brand new combi boiler and I run the tap until warm water comes out. I do occasionally boil the water in a pan on the hob but only make Easyio yoghurt about every ten days so it’s not a regular thing. If I hadn’t seen the Smart meter hit red when the kettle’s boiling I’d probably never tried running the hot water. Like most people, I’m aware of the price of electricity now and every penny saved helps.

Thanks, Strato. 🙂

I don’t have a hot water tank or a tank of any kind as the water comes straight from the mains through plastic pipes. I do have a brand new combi boiler and I run the tap until warm water comes out. I do occasionally boil the water in a pan on the hob but only make Easyio yoghurt about every ten days so it’s not a regular thing. If I hadn’t seen the Smart meter hit red when the kettle’s boiling I’d probably never tried running the hot water. Like most people, I’m aware of the price of electricity now and every penny saved helps.
Every time I make yogurt, I sterilise the pot with boiling water. Then when cool enough to handle, I pour it back into the kettle, bring back to the boil, then use that in the yogurt machine.

NB I nver use sachets, so I don't use water to make yogurt, only milk.

PS I've just been given 24 pints of milk by a neighbour who collects shortdated food from supermarkets, and have frozen 22 of them. She had about 16 left, but I'd run out of freezer space.

I know someone who likes their tea so weak that they just waft a teabag over their mug - - yes, that is an exaggeration, but she does only put it in for a few seconds. which seems a waste of a good teabag.
My sister and brother in law are the same. Their tea is the colour of milk,coffee?? about 6 grains.
My father in law had a tiny teapot and six spoons of tea leaves went in,I'm surprised the spoon didn't dissolve, even with milk in it was nearly black.

My sister and brother in law are the same. Their tea is the colour of milk,coffee?? about 6 grains.
My father in law had a tiny teapot and six spoons of tea leaves went in,I'm surprised the spoon didn't dissolve, even with milk in it was nearly black.
I had a work colleague who had her tea really weak. There used to be a joke doing the rounds on TV (might have been Les Dawson). “The epitome of tight was hanging your teabag out to dry”. We used to say to our colleague that she was the only person we knew who could use the same teabag all week. She took it all n good heart and would tease us about our strong tea.

They are my twin. I don't have tea at home but when at a friend's she says I wave the tea bag at my cup, and it is milky water I drink. Strangely I can make a great cup of tea for others.

I don’t have milk in the house. I drink tea without milk or sugar, although it’s usually lemon and ginger tea or a fruit one, and I have half a teaspoon of Coffeemate in my coffee and no sugar. Consequently the Easyio yoghurts are the best alternative for me.

I probably sound very strange now. 😂

Latest posts

Back