Stylist shock

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Brissles

Registered Shopper
Just seen a photo of QVC stylist 'Steph' on the homepage of the website. I wonder how long she's been a 'stylist' seeing how she looks very young (I'm being very restrained and polite here)- my initial thoughts that she was 'work experience' so could be forgiven for some of the disasters on the catwalk.

I'm thinking that perhaps Julia R is the eldest in the building now, in front of AND behind the camera, this speaks volumes.

I'm surprised the stylist is young. I'd have thought the opposite given most of the fashion.

I saw that on the Q website and was surprised by how young the stylist was. She must have the worst job in the fashion industry trying to make the clothes they sell on Q look good and most of the time they look awful.

I haven't seen her but you can tell it's a younger woman, trying to style for the older women who she thinks wants to look like a younger woman, personally I don't know why anyone would want to buy clothes from QVC they're so expensive and their biggest selling point, the 30 day mbg is so outdated now.

I'm surprised the stylist is young. I'd have thought the opposite given most of the fashion.

Stylists buy according to what their retailer wants, not what they want! My friend is 29 and is a buyer for Bon Marche! It clearly isn't what our age group would wear, but a good buyer/stylist knows their audience.
I know a lot of people say QVC clothing is awful, but it sells, so they are clearly meeting a need.

For most people like my friend it's a first or second job to get experience and then get into the retailer they want to be with. That's no different to any other career, you get experience in jobs that aren't your first preference, to then be able to move into the jobs you really want.

Last edited:
Well I'm mid 60s and apart from cheap nighties, there is nothing in Bon Marche I would buy ! but I have seen the 80 year old plus in my local shop - so that's clearly who the buyers are targeting.

Bonmarche is a funny one. Earlier this summer my stepmother, who is in her 80s, was wearing a lovely loose knit fabric shrug. I couldn't believe it when she said it was Bonmarche. I'd have said something like RJR or Monsoon give her usual shopping habits. I've bought two of them now. Not tempted by anything else though.

I don't buy much from QVC either though. Just certain ranges.

I've never been tempted by anything in Bon Marche but then my wardrobe is a mishmash from shopping outlets, online and high street, so who knows?

That David Emanuel (spell) did a range at Bon Marche.. or was it Elizabeth Emanuel? Didn't buy but some of them were nice.
Such a broad spectrum of what older ladies wear. My nan always wore awful polyester "trews" as she called them (plain trousers, usually navy blue... never jeans) always teamed with an equally terrible ribbed polo-neck. One of my mum's friends always looks like a sack of spuds in a fleece or polo shirt with trousers.. again never jeans! It's like a uniform, never any variery. My Mum wears a wide range from jeans, trousers skirts and dresses. She never wears leggings and gravitates
towards browns and beiges and dusky pinks... with the occasional deep red, deep green or black and white.

Yes, its amazing now that there is a definite generation gap as we get into our 60's. Once upon a time you could guarantee that everyone over 50 would slide into pleated skirts and 'fashion' you'd find in the Edinburgh Woollen Shops, and Mums, Mum in laws and Grandmas would all look the same whether they were 50 or 80. Nowadays, us in our 60's were teenagers in the 60's so we are more fashion conscious, but certainly don't dress like our Mums (if we still have them) who are in their 80's. Yes you get stylish ladies whatever their ages, BUT the EWS and Bon Marche still cater for the much older age group.

I think part of the problem for anyone working in fashion at QVC is the anchor that keeps dragging them down... the QVCUS customer.

QVC will focus more on "best sellers" according to QVC HQ - which will be the volume they sell across the pond - than what is a true reflection of UK shoppers' tastes. Hence the unending supply of samey, US-based brands, mainly offering depressingly similar ranges.

If QVCUK were truely allowed the freedom to dress UK customers based on UK trends and buying patterns, I think we would see some very significant differences to what we get today. There would still be some horror stories (just look down your local high street - it's not just QVC that makes us react with disbelief at what is being sold at a ridiculously inflated price), but fewer of them.

I know as we all get older, in general, comfort, practicality and ease of use will trump a high fashion look; and we become less concerned about how others see us. However, I have always known women in their 60s and beyond who wouldn't dream of wearing a "frock" and prefer instead to go for simple, elegant pieces... Yes, a blouse or jumper with trousers, but colour coordinated and well-made, even when shopping on a very tight budget.

I find Bon Marche very hit and miss.Sometimes they have some nice stuff. They are one of the few places that do trousers in different leg lengths!

I find Bon Marche very hit and miss.Sometimes they have some nice stuff. They are one of the few places that do trousers in different leg lengths!

Got 2 pairs of linen shorts from Bon Marche as most places the shortsjust about covered my bum. I am in my mid sixties and prefer my shorts just above my knee.

I got a lovely raincoat from Bon Marche a good few years ago for £60. I wore if over a few years without a break in the stitching. I tried to get another recently but the styling had changed and the sleeves were too short.

I have the popcorn shrugs form Bon marche, I hate my arms and these shrugs are fab for covering up.
Nice and light, wash well and last, I've had a couple for two years and I wear one colour or another nearly every day for work

I bought a lovely jacket from Bon Marche a couple of years ago, I had a lot of compliments when wearing it. I agree that Bon Marche can be very hit and miss, I haven't seen much this summer that has taken my fancy, very thin see through materials and quite old fashioned. I hope for better this winter.
Now being in my 60's I find clothes a real problem and don't feel that as an age group we're really catered for, unless you happen to be thin!

I have the popcorn shrugs form Bon marche, I hate my arms and these shrugs are fab for covering up.
Nice and light, wash well and last, I've had a couple for two years and I wear one colour or another nearly every day for work

One of the things I DO admit to buying from BM are these shrugs. I never ever wore sleeveless tops/dresses until these hit the market, and now I have loads of them, and no longer worry about buying sleeveless. They're lightweight, so no bulk under coats/jackets.

Yes they are hit and miss sometimes and apart from the 2 pairs of linen shorts everything else was as you say quite old fashioned. I feel very hard to buy clothes. Mainly stick to tops and trousers or jeans.

I hate buying clothes in the UK you are either the young end of the market or off the scale when you reach anything above 45,& in your 60's well it's off to EWM, stylish, what's that?Then some people end up as 'mutton dressed as lamb' which can be even worse.I sometimes go over to the Continent--Germany & Holland where I see stylish clothes which are 'age appropriate'.They are not cheap but I would be spoiled for choice.Must look at the QVC Germany offerings!

I hate buying clothes in the UK you are either the young end of the market or off the scale when you reach anything above 45,& in your 60's well it's off to EWM, stylish, what's that?Then some people end up as 'mutton dressed as lamb' which can be even worse.I sometimes go over to the Continent--Germany & Holland where I see stylish clothes which are 'age appropriate'.They are not cheap but I would be spoiled for choice.Must look at the QVC Germany offerings!

I think it's definitely true that it is easier to dress well at a slightly higher price point as you get older. However, if you are a savvy shopper, you can get the quality without forking out a ton of money in a variety of outlets.

Latest posts

Back