Stockpiling...

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I have many reasons to be extremely grateful to the NHS over the years. Two and a half years ago when my second daughter was diagnosed and treat for breast cancer(successfully) her two daughters were given appointments at the Breast cancer clinic to be assessed. Today TWO YEARS later they received letters telling them the results of the assessment. Ridiculous imo.
At it's best, the NHS is magnificent. At it's worst, it's a nightmare. Sorry to hear your daughter had BC, you must have been so worried and upset. The, err, tardiness of your granddaughters' experience is a perfect example of the administrative shortcomings. I hope the result set their worries at ease, but how much better to have had 2 years less worry waiting!

Omg Anna. I would be climbing the walls!!!!!! I had some if those drinks in hospital, Compact(?) Protein or whatever. I decided to order some when I got home so found a good deal on Amazon. Trouble is they were just the Compact drinks, not the protein ones at all. If you're near Putney I have quite a few going spare.....

Ah very kind of you Mazza, but I live in the North West.

My Mum has Alzheimer's and so life is difficult enough to deal with without having to deal with difficult receptionists and doctors. It just saps your energy.

Anyway I hope you are feeling better again today.

At it's best, the NHS is magnificent. At it's worst, it's a nightmare. Sorry to hear your daughter had BC, you must have been so worried and upset. The, err, tardiness of your granddaughters' experience is a perfect example of the administrative shortcomings. I hope the result set their worries at ease, but how much better to have had 2 years less worry waiting!
My oldest daughter also had Breast cancer three years ago exact same prognosis and treatment. My third daughter also went to the BCC clinic and was told she wasn’t classed as at risk.

Good morning all. I agree with May Morgan, the NHS at its best is magnificent but at its worst a nightmare where you just hit your head against a wall of bureaucracy and intransigence.

I got my new physio exercises through on the app today. I need equipment!! Resistance bands apparently. I guess I should have watched some of those Pilates shows on the Q then I might have had some idea about them. A quick look through Amazon helped and I ordered some. The annoying thing is until they arrive my completion stats will not be 100%. I'm livid, lol.

The Nurse is coming today, hopefully, as they had staffing issues yesterday. I have a really strong ache in my leg today and it certainly isn't because of over exertion. Maybe it is the alcohol from last night. We had a leaving do for some young women who rented upstairs. They were lovely and we don't want them to go. I have to hand their keys over on Monday which obviously I am perfectly happy to do, but I did tell them I didn't want to facilitate their departure, 😃

'I got my new physio exercises through on the app today. I need equipment!!'
It's things like that which drive me mad, not everyone can access stuff & then what do they do? Hopefully the nurse will arrive today & be able to discover the reason for the aching leg, alcohol related or otherwise. The NHS is a British sacred cow to many & heaven help those who criticise it; I think it's interesting that no other country has copied the model & many former Eastern Bloc or less developed nations now have far better health services than ours. My much missed mum always said she was grateful for her treatment, I said that it was a service she paid for so gratitude didn't come into it. I have often wondered if she'd have thought differently if she's been alive when a doctor's incompetence caused the death of my wonderful brother in law.

And now..... the nurse hasn't arrived. She rang on Thursday to say not Friday this week, but will deffo come Saturday. As it was getting a bit late I rang the central access number to check I am on the list for today. I am not!!!! So now I have had to request a callback to see WTF is going on. I despair. I don't know if I should attempt it myself because it has been on since Wednesday so definitely needs to be changed.

I need my ears syringed, as I do every few years, done by the nurse.

But the nurses are only doing dressings!

So I have no hope of an appointment, and meanwhile I have gone quite deaf as it comes on suddenly.

Someone on here will probably suggest ear drops or olive oil, but this always makes it even worse. I normally have to put up with drops for a few days before syringing, but won't try it this time.

And now..... the nurse hasn't arrived. She rang on Thursday to say not Friday this week, but will deffo come Saturday. As it was getting a bit late I rang the central access number to check I am on the list for today. I am not!!!! So now I have had to request a callback to see WTF is going on. I despair. I don't know if I should attempt it myself because it has been on since Wednesday so definitely needs to be changed.
Please don't get twizzled, I know that's easy to say but I'll do it on your behalf. If you don't have any joy you'll have to get seen in A&E, they can't leave you over this weekend & as it's so much better you don't want the healing process to stall. Keep us informed.

So I have no hope of an appointment, and meanwhile I have gone quite deaf as it comes on suddenly.

Someone on here will probably suggest ear drops or olive oil, but this always makes it even worse. I normally have to put up with drops for a few days before syringing, but won't try it this time.

It is very difficult to get your ears syringed on NHS now. Most doctors surgeries no longer do it and you need to pay to get it done at private GP, clinic, chemists that have nurse etc......this has been case for quite a while now, long before Covid.

Would advise you await someone getting in touch, don’t think doing the dressing yourself is really that good, if you can hold off.

https://uk.bestreviews.guide/ear-wax-removal-kits
Enjoy 👂

Thanks everyone. A nurse did call back and said I was cancelled because they were short of nurses. Well how about ringing me to let me know then! Honestly I just keep imagining really old, feeble people sitting there waiting for stuff.... they would have no hope really would they? I pointed out that this was why the FRIDAY visit had been postponed until today so she said someone (a lovely lady called Sharon) would be with me tomorrow then the next visit would be Wednesday and she would make a note on my record not to cancel it. I said I would jolly well hope not! I have the hospital on Thursday so don't want to go there with some manky old dressing on. Mind you it might make the ******* Consultant feel a bit sick.....

It is very difficult to get your ears syringed on NHS now. Most doctors surgeries no longer do it and you need to pay to get it done at private GP, clinic, chemists that have nurse etc......this has been case for quite a while now, long before Covid.

I've never had any problems getting an appt before, it SHOULD be an NHS service IMO, what will they cut out next I wonder?

I wouldn't want to risk a DIY job, as it is so easy to damage an eardrum, even the nurses are very careful. And I wouldn't trust Specsavers or similar unless they had a fully qualified nurse.

I've never had any problems getting an appt before, it SHOULD be an NHS service IMO, what will they cut out next I wonder?
'Ear syringing is ineffective and could even permanently damage patients' ears, experts have warned. In new guidance, the National Institute for Health and Care Excellence (NICE) has advised that ear syringing, where a large syringe is used to pump water into the ear, is potentially harmful and should no longer be used.' This was written in 2017 & a private appointment is £50 ish.

I wouldn't want to risk a DIY job, as it is so easy to damage an eardrum, even the nurses are very careful. And I wouldn't trust Specsavers or similar unless they had a fully qualified nurse.
I must admit I was really surprised Specsavers offered it as a service.

Latest posts

Back