Stockpiling...

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Can I jump in on the drain thread, please?

When I worked in the hospital the drains near our department (downwind of the kitchens) would always block. Fatbergs from some of the lazy staff that would pour fat down when the rest weren't looking.

The ground staff had to clean it up but had continuous problems with the fat. The one thing I learnt about drains from them was that vinegar won't cut the amount of scum/grease from a normal household and forget about the satisfying chemical reaction you get from pouring it on top of bicarb. It's a simple chemical reaction that looks a lot more than it does and is not a detergent.

Soda crystals and hot water will do the trick for the average house but you sometimes need more than a kettle. The heat and detergent do the trick. Check out www.dri-pak.co.uk for cleaning uses with soda crystals, vinegar, etc.

I keep my drains clear out of habit (and fear of a blockage!) but I will still get whiffs now and then. I find biological washing powder good for those as the enzymes will eat at the little greasy grotty bits like hair and the bits that get trapped in them. I've had success with those enzyme sticks, too, but tend to save them to drop in my plug holes when I know they're not going to be used for a while (great if you're going away for a few days).

Good drain cleaners that are the proper strong lye or alkaline types are hard to get hold of these days so read the labels. A lot are enzyme-based and are good if they can be left to sit a good while but the alkaline ones will eat hair and any other binders that hold the gunk in a lump.

My advice for anyone with regular blocks would be to use hair-catchers and a regular dose of soda and hot water or drain cleaner to prevent the problem getting out of hand - and hope the problem isn't a neighbour on a shared drain putting baby wipes, sanitary pads and other things they shouldn't down their toilet (been there, done that, got the t-shirt). Luckily, they actually listened to the water board bloke who came to clean the blockage from our shared drain.

Vienna, how much do you use each time? I am not sure of the amount to use just for a regular clean not a blockage.
I put about half a cupful down each sink and sometimes if the plughole is damp the crystals might stick to it instead of go down it so I just poke it down with something like the handle of a teaspoon. For outside drains or grids I just sprinkle it from the bag, its cheap enough to use regularly just to keep sinks and drains clear. I buy mine from Home Bargains or Wilkos and use it about twice weekly or even more in warmer months.

Also Alter, isn't the Dew stuff just the same as dettol clean & clear lovely spray? Just wondered....

I flatten them out and cut them to size and place them into the mask with a tiny blob of PVA glue. I'm not leaving the house at the mo but I give my partner a few to take with him in case he has to remove one and put another on. They seem to be making the masks last longer but I do replace the coffee filter after each use.

Dew is completely different from Dettol etc. It's hypochlorous water that is found in our bodies hence it's safe to drink/use as mouthwash/around eyes and safe if used on/around animals or children.

It's faster acting than bleach or any other sanitising chemicals out there. It needs a dwell time of a minute at most whereas Dettol or any others need to be left at least 5 minutes. I doubt many people read labels properly but if you want true clean surfaces you need to be aware that some chemicals need to be left for their recommended time and that the surface needs to stay wet for the chemicals to do a proper job. Then you wipe dry (or for some, especially around food prep areas, rinse and wipe dry).

Dew doesn't need any faff. Spray, leave a minute if you want to be extra safe around viruses (most bacteria are killed a lot easier), then either wipe or leave. No rinsing, no faff, no worry. I'm incredibly happy I've found a UK company that makes and sells it.

Check out their website www.dewproducts.co.uk and read their info pages but be aware that their Superclean product is more for cleaning grease/windows/stainless steel etc., and will kill bacteria but not viruses (like many cleaners on the market that say they clean 99% of germs - viruses are harder to kill). The Disinfect range is the one I use for sanitising. Both are fab for me as they don't trigger and I don't need to worry about woofers.

I sound like I work for them but I don't. I just think it's a fab product. There are other brands out there like Aquaint Baby Water but I don't get that faint bleach whiff from it that I get and find reassuring with Dew.

You can also buy electrolysed water generators on eBay for less than £30. All you need is salt and water and somewhere to plug it in for a minute. I haven't tried one but I may one day as it'd be so convenient and no worry about running out or using an inactive product past the 6 months after opening (i mark the date on my Dew bottles).

Thane direct also sells a "system" called H2Oe3 which is a more expensive option. There are other more expensive options in the USA that are available so I'm hoping it'll catch on sometime in the future and we'll all be able to make our own cheap, eco-friendly, pet-friendly cleaner. I know they're used in dentists in this country and in some hospitals but these are heavy-duty generators obviously.

It really is a great product. It's tested to the same standards as Dettol and Zoflora and all the other sanitising products out there but has absolutely no nasties.

Thanks Vienna. I use about the same amount but must be more careful and poke it all down from the start. Usually I go back and discover a white mush in the plughole.

Great. There was a fatberg there once, outside in the drain!!!!! What is B & M please? Does the product corrode the plastic pipes that are under the sink?

B&M is a discount store, maybe you have a HomeBargains. I’ve had no problems but read the labels to make sure compatible with your system. You could use soda crystals instead.

I always used caustic soda for giving my pipes a clean a few times a year. You have to be careful not to use metal, plastic only for mixing and I wore rubber gloves. Poured down the bathroom and kitchen plughole left for around 30 minutes and then flushed down the drains with cold water. No problems with plastic pipes.

We have both B&M and Home Bargains here.

My first job at 16 was the office girl in a clothing factory. Three floors old victorian building right beside was the Blackstaff river(Belfast is known as little Venice because we have so many little rivers flowing under it), now they have been covered over. Anyway, John Sherrards was right beside the uncovered Blackstaff and in the summer, of course, it's warm and they opened the windows with the sewing machines going lots of heat. The sink from the Blackstaff was like open sewage! On the other side of the river which was not that wide was a funeral parlour we used to swear they were throwing the bodies in the river the smell was that bad.

Last edited:
I always used caustic soda for giving my pipes a clean a few times a year. You have to be careful not to use metal, plastic only for mixing and I wore rubber gloves. Poured down the bathroom and kitchen plughole left for around 30 minutes and then flushed down the drains with cold water. No problems with plastic pipes.

We have both B&M and Home Bargains here.

My first job at 16 was the office girl in a clothing factory. Three floors old victorian building right beside was the Blackstaff river(Belfast is known as little Venice because we have so many little rivers flowing under it), now they have been covered over. Anyway, John Sherrards was right beside the uncovered Blackstaff and in the summer, of course, it's warm and they opened the windows with the sewing machines going lots of heat. The sink from the Blackstaff was like open sewage! On the other side of the river which was not that wide was a funeral parlour we used to swear they were throwing the bodies in the river the smell was that bad.

Oh my Lord!

I dip in and out of this thread and admit I don't actually go back read perhaps many posts posted since I last dipped in.

Here in Belfast very few wear masks or gloves, spot some in the local Sainsbury. I go out and shop I get on the bus oh yes I do! Go to M&S food hall people sit well apart and you know what? We all just chat with each other total strangers suddenly sitting two empty seats behind each other just start chatting. The weather, wishing the shops were open, why is Dunnes which has a small food hall in the city centre not open? Moaning about not getting to the hairdresser. Just everyday stuff. In the supermarket going up and down aisles no way can you stay 2 metres apart but people are sensible and step back if someone wants something from the shelf.

I live alone with just my brother in Canada my close family. I am bored stiff at home but think I cope okay. I refuse to panic. A woman on the bus last week even asked, "do you live with your family?" I replied no I live alone and she said she did too and loved living on her own. Perhaps we are the people who are coping best?
I live alone and I’m fine although I don’t do much. I’m sorting my photos, sorting the garden and having siestas.

My plans to decorate, sort the loft etc have come to nought.

Apart from Q overpriced plants, food shopping and an Eek ring to use up a voucher I’ve spent diddly squat in the last 2 months.

A few months ago when I was in holiday mode I had looked at a Kipling Art on wheels on an eBay shop I’ve used before, but thought it was overpriced at £100 with one fairly dull colour at £89, then the price went up so I definitely wasn’t going to pay those sort of prices. Today it was down to £59 so I jumped at it. I may not go on holiday but I’ll be able to walk up and down our landing pulling an empty bag behind me.
The bag arrived today (post free) very sturdy but heavy (I suppose that’s the wheel mechanism) will be great for a weekend away or hand luggage. I think it will see me out and has added advantage that it is quite masculine so Mr L won’t feel a twat if he has to use it.

Landing here I come!

I live alone and I’m fine although I don’t do much. I’m sorting my photos, sorting the garden and having siestas.

My plans to decorate, sort the loft etc have come to nought.

Snap EM! I live alone too and planned some DIY and draw sorting but the motivation left me worrying about my NHS daughter and mental health of my toddler granddaughter. I’m exhausted with stress and the brick wall of emotional protection is crumbling around my feet.

Cartoon five years time 98195106_1016394.jpg

All of the major supermarkets are now advising customers to keep keep tins of food two inches apart when storing them. Apparently is a call for shelf isolation.

View attachment 18858

They look about the same era of many of the items in my cupboards. I just made pancakes with flour that was about 15 years old, 12 years after its best before date - - - they were delicious.

Snap EM! I live alone too and planned some DIY and draw sorting but the motivation left me worrying about my NHS daughter and mental health of my toddler granddaughter. I’m exhausted with stress and the brick wall of emotional protection is crumbling around my feet.
So sorry to hear you feel this way. Virtual hug on its way. Please look after yourself xxx

For the first time in 2 months I went to my usual large Marks which is 30 miles away. You had to go through the clothes section to get to the food hall and I think you could buy but not try on but apart from 1 person looking through the rails it was like the Marie Celeste.

They had flour both plain and self raising and were selling disposable face masks pack of 3 for £3 restricted to 2 packs per customer.

Yes, my city centre Marks has moved clothes from men, children and homeward down to ground floor usually only women's wear, but you have to go down to lower food hall to pay.

So, I had a go at cutting my hair this morning. Used the Kuhn kitchen shears, hey they were sharp. Only meant to do the sides but then started on the top. No doubt my hairdresser will throw a fit when they eventually open again.

Gosh Donna you were brave! I’ve decided to that this opportunity to see if it is worth growing the layers out as it is such a pain in the bum but at least this way no one is looking at them.

Mind you I didn’t see too many bad hairdos today , i suppose putting long hair up covers multitude of sins but not a grey hair in sight. I’m not convinced local hairdressers working from their own home aren’t doing their favourite regulars.

They look about the same era of many of the items in my cupboards. I just made pancakes with flour that was about 15 years old, 12 years after its best before date - - - they were delicious.

I feel so much better for hearing that, stratobuddy. Good to know I’m not the only one with ancient produce kicking around and also to know the flour was usable. I saw SR and plain flour in the Lidl near me last week (only noticed because people were swarming all over it like wasps on jam). So I bought some, thinking mine in the cupboard must be about 5-6 years old and I should dump it. Maybe I’ll use it up instead, before I start the new stuff.

This article is quite interesting. It’s from 2018 so bear in mind if they talk about something from 2015 being fine, it was only 3 years old, not 5. They do also test much older things, though.

I feel so much better for hearing that, stratobuddy. Good to know I’m not the only one with ancient produce kicking around and also to know the flour was usable. I saw SR and plain flour in the Lidl near me last week (only noticed because people were swarming all over it like wasps on jam). So I bought some, thinking mine in the cupboard must be about 5-6 years old and I should dump it. Maybe I’ll use it up instead, before I start the new stuff.

This article is quite interesting. It’s from 2018 so bear in mind if they talk about something from 2015 being fine, it was only 3 years old, not 5. They do also test much older things, though.

I've got jars well over 20 years old, and some tins, I use one every now and again and no problems.

I can't resist a bargain, so I bought 100 jars Patak curry sauce when it was 1/2 price about 20 years ago, only got a few left now.

Latest posts

Back