Sorry to say..

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I have to agree - and confess that I did join WW online just recently but don't plan to be there long. I'm trying to shrink down to a size 16 - I'm sure most people would recoil in horror but I've never wanted to be skinny! Being pressured about my weight is what led to teenage misery and overeating in the first place, now I just want to learn how to not comfort eat and get on with my life.

The only times in my life where I have shrunk very quickly without even being on a diet were the ones where I was productive & happy and NOT worried about how I looked or what people thought and I think it's like that for most people that stress-eat or comfort-eat - but the current media pressure doesn't exactly encourage that, does it? When kids used to get picked on for being porky it was called bullying but now it seems it's just fair game.

Its funny you saying that because that the exact same for me Craftology, few years back, I was so busy working full time and studying for a degree at night that I didnt have time to comfort (boredom) eat and I slimmed right down to a 10 without even noticing it. I will also add here that as I was so busy with life and enjoying it as well that my confidence was through the roof, I was single at the time and I can't tell you how much guys noticed that! lol Shame really that once I met someone, we both, OH and me went up, which was obviously to do with eating out/takeways etc in front of the telly!

My aim this year is to get down to a 12/14 and to enjoy myself as well and not worry about every morsel I put in my mouth!

Good on you though Craftology for taking the first steps! I hopefully will not be far behind you! :mysmilie_504:

Oh I just love it. GP's banging on about weight, cholesterol etc is one of my pet hates. I have had real words with my doctors about the taking of my BP. You sit outside for 20minutes after a stressful day at work, they then have you in, you barely get your bum on the seat & they want to take your BP & of course its up. They are supposed to allow you to sit quietly for at least 5 minutes after you have walked into the room to let your BP settlle but they never do. Of course it will be up. You have just walked into their room. For me its a flight of stairs. BP is higher when you are moving around then when you are sitting quietly. I suffer from white coat syndrome.No matter how hard I try its up when I am in a clinical setting but I take my BP regularly at home & its always fine.

Its all a ploy by the drug companies to get us on all their **** drugs. Drug companies make millions off the sick for obvious reasons. So do all the diet & exercise people. Its all about money, money, money. There are thousands of people on BP drugs that should never be on them.

In my practice they have a machine in the waiting room, you don't even get to see the doctor or a nurse - it's this huge terrifying thing where you have to stick your whole arm in and it looks like it might just chew it off if you're not careful. But at least this allows me to have a seat and sit quietly for 5 minutes and think of fluffy clouds to calm myself down a bit!

I'm overweight, mainly due to health problems which make it hard for me to exercise now. I used to love the gym and when I'd say I was at my healthiest and fittest I was around a size 14, looked fab, and weighed 11 stone. I am 5ft 4 but I do have large bones - bigger than most men! You can tell from your wrist size. Having a large frame can mean the difference of 1 and a half stone at my height. Today's BMI charts do not take into account frame size (well the ones I've seen don't).

THe only way to correctly measure your body mass index and how much fat you are carrying is to get the calipers out. We did this when I was at college and my BF was studying physiology & phys ed. I had a much lower fat content in my body to one woman who on the face of it appeared slimmer than me. in reality she wasn't and where mine didn't wobble - hers did once the jeans came off :grin:

The same mass of muscle will also weigh heavier than the same mass of fat, as it's denser. This is why you sometimes put on weight when first exercising. I once had a doctor swear his scales were broken because he didn't think I weighed "that much"...it was my heavy frame and muscle which made me weigh more than I looked.

Docs never say I'm overweight though, maybe they are scared of me :giggle:

I suffer from white coat syndrome.

Having worked in hospitals all my working life, the term 'white coat syndrome' means something completely different Lilian. It's more a case of any Doctor will do, if you catch my drift :wink:

our whole attitude to weight seemed to have shifted lately. I have been the same wieght and height since I was 18. I am 5ft4, well 3 and 1/2 actually and weigh 67 kilos and I am 60 next year. I have been in size 12/14 since I was 17/18, apart from when I was pregnant. It is only in the last couple of years I have been told that I am overweight and have to watch my intake by health officials (Dr's checkup, Astma clinic, and even when I had my flue jab 2 month agin they checked my weight calculated it in to BMI and again told me I am over weight!!) Never seemed yto bother them in the previous 40 years, just in the last 3.
It is really starting to get on my nerves now. Had actually tried to loose weight to get to 63 kilos so they stop telling me I am overweight, but it really is not as easy as all that. But the whole assessment of the B***** BMI thing is really getting on my nerves.
Sorry rant over, will be going to Dr's again for check up on Wed and no doubt be told that I am overweight:sad::doh::sweat:

PS think I might actually be shrinking soon as we loose height when we age (apparently?), that will make it even worse!

This seems to be a recurring theme which is quite worrying. I fear that the NHS are bringing in health care rationing through the back door. If you are 'overweight' or a smoker or drinker or don't exercise then no knee/hip replacement etc for you. This could warrant a forum to itself.

I love the pilates hours - I find them both relaxing and motivational - I think Margoleine is great and I would be happy to look and move like her at her age. I am 44. I would also like her salary please!!

I love the pilates hours - I find them both relaxing and motivational - I think Margoleine is great and I would be happy to look and move like her at her age. I am 44. I would also like her salary please!!

I agree I enjoyed the shows too and thought both ladies were very supple. I too would like to be as flexible as that at my age bearing in mind both ladies are much older!

it is also a reference to blood pressure rising in a clinical enviroment.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_coat_hypertension

This happens to me too so I tried using the one they had in the waiting room at the surgery (never used one before) and got anxious waiting for whatever was going to happen once my arm was in there... crikey jeepers!! (or words much stronger than that!) my reading went through the roof as it made me jump! Had to try and calm down to take another reading!
Anyway, I ended up buying my own BP machine and the readings are normal but with a nurse or GP it's high!.

Also very true regarding BMI readings, really are no use at all, callipers are the only way to measure body fat accurately.

This seems to be a recurring theme which is quite worrying. I fear that the NHS are bringing in health care rationing through the back door. If you are 'overweight' or a smoker or drinker or don't exercise then no knee/hip replacement etc for you. This could warrant a forum to itself.

I've been told I need a knee replacement (I'm only in my 40's) the problem is though, it's very hard to lose weight when you can't walk far and due to a cock up in a previous op, I can't even enjoy swimming anymore. Yet they expect you to lose weight. :doh:

in the absence of most people being fooled by religion these days, this is just the latest way that people are controlled. sorry if that sounds like some ridiculous "the aliens have landed and they look like lizards" type of conspiracy theory but i genuinely believe that governments use these tactics to divert the population away from some of the genuine sh*t that's happening in the world today.

until the credit crunch/recession really took hold and couldnt be brushed under the carpet any more we were all been held to ransom by the environmentalists. it was ALL OVER the news every single day. there were plans to tax us on the weight of our bins and we were all going to die if we didnt stop global warming. gone a bit quiet on that front now hasnt it?

a couple of years ago i went to see the doctor where the subject of alcohol came up. we went through the usual routine, she asked me how much i drank, i lied etc etc. but she ended up by asking if i was binge drinking. i asked her to define "binge drinking" to which she replied that for a male 3 pints of lager in one evening would be considered binge drinking. after i'd got up of the floor and stopped laughing i asked her if she thought that was reasonable and she just shrugged and said "thats the guideline". so next time you here a news report about how many people are binge drinking you can feel safe in the knowledge that any old granddad going to the local on a saturday night for his 3 pints of mild will be included in the stats. i though it was interesting that despite arriving at the conclusion that i was drinking too much there was no desire to understand why this might be the case, only for me to "correct" the behaviour.

one more thing - that 5 a day thing has no scientific basis WHATsoever. it was dreamt up by a marketing guru as a way of getting people to eat more fresh food. i'm not denying that eating fresh fruit and veg is good for you, im sure it is. but the five a day thing was plucked from the air because it sounds good and is easy to remember. and within a matter of months everyone is running around talking about 5 a day.

so bottom line Star234 dont let them browbeat you in losing weight if youre happy and feel healthy as you are. theyre just looking at a chart and trying to fit you into a box. tell them to get stuffed.

Burlz just a thought but, if your opinion is to tell the so called professionals to get stuffed, why did you feel the need to lie about how much you drink? When the doc said 3 pints is the limit that is per night right? So grandad drinking once a week on a Sat night, is a completely different set of figures and couldn't be considered binge drinking. :sweat:

Funny how opinions vary as I watched Marjolene and Simon (NN shirts) do a session and although I was skeptical that he couldn't actually touch the floor with his fingers before he got on the machine and afterwards he could (surprise, surprise), I DO think Marjolene looks great! I personally don't think she looks 'scrawny', I think she looks toned and would love to have her figure. Infact they sold the product so much to me that if I had the room for it to be left out all the time, I would have bought one of those machines to help my back/neck! :muscle:

Latest posts

Back