Slow cooker TSV

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Bensmum

Registered Shopper
"Phenominal" QVC price - £25.79 delivered in 3-5 working days.

Not really.

Amazon price - £23.99 delivered tomorrow.

Might be a good idea if the inner pot was heated up to frying temp within the actual cooker, instead of having to go on the hob. Especially as its not suitable for all hob types. Without that I don't really see the point.

I feel peeved now ~ I bought it as a christmas present for one of my kids. He was only saying the other day that he fancied getting one so he could bung stuff in before he headed off to work in the morning so when I saw this I thought it looked ok at an ok price. I did do a quick price check on line and it was coming up at £35. For some reason the Amazon price didn't show up. Oh phooey!!!!

Might be a good idea if the inner pot was heated up to frying temp within the actual cooker, instead of having to go on the hob. Especially as its not suitable for all hob types. Without that I don't really see the point.

Yer wot? Is that a 'separate' way to use part of it or do you have to do that to use the slow cooker thingy then? Never had one, totally ignorant of how they work but I thought you just bunged stuff in them, trundled off to work & came back 8 hours later to perfectly cooked, succulent nom noms......is that not how they work then? :doh:

I've had slow cookers for years and although you can bung everything in raw and leave it, most meat looks better browned first. I used to do it in a frying pan but then a I got a jml Starchef cheap and it allows you to brown at higher temperatures in the actual machine. It's not the wonder machine the infomercials would have you believe but when my old slow cooker needed replacing it was a good option for us, but I wouldn't have paid the full price for it. It's also a fool-proof rice cooker.

It seems a bit of a faff to move the inner pot from the hob to the slow cooker, you might as well buy a cheaper one and brown stuff in a frying pan (that works on your hob).

Weirdly my dustbin of a son (18) will eat most things but doesn't like slow-cooked casseroles* and I can sympathise because I hated my mum's pressure cooker meals which always had a unique taste. Like many 18 year olds he loves dumplings so if I do these he'll eat the stew!

Jude xx

Last edited:
Well you CAN do that if you like anaemic meat. You need to brown it off in a frying pan really though, otherwise it's all a bit bland. I remember my turkey lasagne disaster. I decided to make the sauce in a slow cooker without frying off the turkey first and it was repulsive. Looked like, and had the texture of cottage cheese in tomato sauce.*gag*

I assumed that it would do that! Pointless indeed.

I've been using my new acquired (pressie) slow cooker for some weeks now and find it convenient - some things are far more successful than others - but I do understand Akimbo's point about the food emerging as it used to from a pressure cooker. I suppose you don't get the depth of flavour when meat is effectively steamed as you would from long slow cooking in an oven but it is intriguing that the veg stay intact after so many hours. My best effort so far has been a silverside joint and my worst was chicken casserole I left for too long and the meat had broken down into strands.

Does anyone have an idiot-proof vegetarian slow cooker recipe please?

Root vegetables seem to need as long or longer to slow-cook than even the cheapest cuts of meat.

I'd be v interested in Veggie recipes for slow-cooking too.

Jude xx

i love and adore my slow cooker, bought it from amazon. I brown meat in my wok first then add the stock, sauce or gravy and heat all together in the wok then bung it in the cooker and leave it to do its work. Mine is a Morphy Richards which you do not pre heat but the stuff must be hot before you chuck it in. Different makes have different rules so read the handbook. I have just bought a veggie slow cooker recipe book (again from Amazon) but have not yet made anything from it. I do make lots of soup in mine, I do a lovely leek and carrot one and also a tomato and lentil one. I now always make bolongnaise sauce in it too, the long cooking time makes is very flavourous . I do a massive one and freeze it into portions so I can use it for lasange and baked potatoes throughout the month. Slow cooker, freezer and a microwave, it the future I tell you!!

Thats pretty shocking tbh that amazon are cheaper and deliver nxt day, im not sure how QVC get away with there prices, there ment to be the no1 shopping channel. The funny thing is this slow cooker will more than likely sell out, it always surprises me how many people dont shop around first coz they expect QVC to be the cheapest

makes you laugh really they said on the show that its best to use the cheaper cuts of meat coz they taste better and then put the details of green seasons slow cook meat pack on , that kinda tells u something about the quality of them and at 21 quid its hardly cheap in price:giggle:

Neck of lamb, root vegetables and pearl barley stew for us tonight. Smells good already.....

I bought this in Tesco back earlier in the year for 19.95.I think it way back at the start of the year as I remember keeping it and giving to my MIL for mothers day,and I'd had it a while by Mothers day.

Thats pretty shocking tbh that amazon are cheaper and deliver nxt day, im not sure how QVC get away with there prices, there ment to be the no1 shopping channel. The funny thing is this slow cooker will more than likely sell out, it always surprises me how many people dont shop around first coz they expect QVC to be the cheapest

To be fair, it's free economy delivery at Amazon (which in my opinion is fine and just as fast as QVC). However, guaranteed next day delivery at Amazon is £7.99, Ist class is £3.30 (to arrive within 2 days).

I bought my Dad (aged 88) an Intellichef which does have a heating element in the bottom that allows you to seal and fry the meat and veg before setting the slow cook function but it costs around £80 on Amazon.

However just being able to put the TSV slow cooker container on the gas is an advantage cause as they say it saves dirtying a frying pan.

I think it is good value but I'm sticking with my 30 year old slow cooker that is still working fine.

I'm having a bit of a crisis about the price of jewellry vs the cost of pratical items. How can I justify a pair of Or-paz earrings at £23 plus p&p when the slow cooker cost less than £20? It must be the huge markups on jewellry - am I just a mug getting sucked in?

I feel peeved now ~ I bought it as a christmas present for one of my kids. He was only saying the other day that he fancied getting one so he could bung stuff in before he headed off to work in the morning so when I saw this I thought it looked ok at an ok price. I did do a quick price check on line and it was coming up at £35. For some reason the Amazon price didn't show up. Oh phooey!!!!

Hi PP if you go into our account and click on the order, it will give you option to cancel order until its dispatched. One good thing about the new wen site.

Latest posts

Back