Slanket

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Has anyone got any experience of using this in a wheelchair? Just had a thought that it may be too big/long and get in the way whilst moving...mind you, I guess it would still come in handy, he'll just have to maybe take it off before moving around!

I agree with everyone about the size of these when the wheelchair is mobile, but have you ever looked in the sales at Xmas in dept stores? They often do small tartan blankets (usually near the throws) which can be used just to cover your legs, or to sit on in a picnic etc (but not picnic rugs with a backing!). They are fab and I use them at home on a chilly night. I have never fancied a slanket as I just get a cardigan and I know, I just know, that as soon as I get all comfy in a slanket and hunker down on the sofa, I'll get a hot flush and have to clamber out of it again.

I agree. Am having second thoughts now. My dad is permanently in a wheelchair and can't get up without help from my mum. If I explained to him it was only for putting on when he wasn't moving, this should be enough. However, his mind seems to be declining rapidly over the last couple of weeks (MS) so I think in hindsight, it's not worth the risk. Shame really as the sleeve concept would be ideal for him. Men are so hard to buy for. Men in a wheelchair who can't do much at all are even harder! Bless him. Isn't it hard seeing your parents age? :-(

On a chirpier note, I am quite excited to be joining the Slanket gang, at last! May stick the surplus one on ebay, save my return postage.

If you are handy with a sewing machine I would not think it would be too hard to just shorten the length to make it more suitable for a sitting position perhaps...? :) just a thought....

I did think about taking it up. That may be an option. He has some lovely proper Welsh wool blankets already, I just think the sleeves will be beneficial as he's always on his laptop or tablet. I'll have a look at it when it arrives and if I think I can take it up I will do that. Thanks everyone for your advice!

There are "cheaper copies" about in many places but to be honest nothing is as good as the Slanket. Hope that helps! :)
I got my cheap version from amazon for aronund £6 and use it for long haul flights while others are trying to wrap in a standard small 'cloth' blanket given on the flight :) I don't use it at home though find it clumsy as it's very generously sized. Glad it didn't cost much, it's also a 'plush' one but I'm sure not as plush as Slanket.

I never put my arms in mine, I sort of drape it over me and then I can pull it off quickly if I need to answer the door. I also sleep with it over me sometimes. Love it

The plaid is back in stock in case anyone wanted it! Am giving in and ordering 2 plaid for hubby and dad, and a purple for myself :mysmilie_14:

Has anyone got any experience of using this in a wheelchair? Just had a thought that it may be too big/long and get in the way whilst moving...mind you, I guess it would still come in handy, he'll just have to maybe take it off before moving around!

As others have said, I don't think it would be safe, but I have found a good website that has lots of alternatives for wheelchair users. They has a similar thing to a Slanket, with arms, specifically for wheelchair users, and other fleece products like leg warming snuggly things, and capes, and waterproofs too.

http://www.dlf-data.org.uk/products.php?groupid=3865&sortname

I hope you figure something out. My mum is severely disabled and been in a wheelchair since I was a teenager too.

I know that the latest QVC slanket is very luxurious (I got it in duck egg last winter), but I find it huge and a bit cumbersome. Maybe it's because I don't sit still for long, so DD uses this slanket and I use one of the earlier models which is more like a fleece material. For a cheap and cheerful version (and it also looks less bulky and is slightly smaller) there's a red one on the betterware website for £4.99 (plus postage) http://www.betterware.co.uk/winter-survival/clothing-accessories/red-cosy-blanket-with-sleeves.html.

If anyone wanted to try altering one for use with a wheel chair this isn't a huge amount of money down the drain if it doesn't work.

Latest posts

Back