Skin Coloured nora batty tights..can it truly be a good look?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

JR's Ego

Registered Shopper
Watching Anna Cookson today on QVC, I wondered if her skin coloured tights (which looked like at least a 15 denier) coupled with strappy sandals, can really be justified?

I also notice recently AY was spotted sporting a pair with her hooker heels. Talking of royalty..
recent famous royals are obviously making this, what was once, a big fashion no-no, an acceptable look.

Personally, I think its a bad look.
As far as skin coloured tights go, sure, it is very tempting to veer away from bare legs right now, in this wet & wild jetstream we are suffering, and I guess its too early for black opaques. I cannot help thinking 'nora batty' when I see skin tights, or even worse, God forbid, tan tights.

So its a dilemma.. carrying off a nude look (& matching shoes), in this'winter'weather is a challenge
Personally if I am forced to do skin/beige/nude hose, It would be sheer 5 denier in hold up format

but I do think those thick skin tights with sandals should be banned & binned!
(maybe Anna is sporting stockings! - that, we will never know!)

Watching Anna Cookson today on QVC, I wondered if her skin coloured tights (which looked like at least a 15 denier) coupled with strappy sandals, can really be justified?

I also notice recently AY was spotted sporting a pair with her hooker heels. Talking of royalty..
recent famous royals are obviously making this, what was once, a big fashion no-no, an acceptable look.

Personally, I think its a bad look.
As far as skin coloured tights go, sure, it is very tempting to veer away from bare legs right now, in this wet & wild jetstream we are suffering, and I guess its too early for black opaques. I cannot help thinking 'nora batty' when I see skin tights, or even worse, God forbid, tan tights.

So its a dilemma.. carrying off a nude look (& matching shoes), in this'winter'weather is a challenge
Personally if I am forced to do skin/beige/nude hose, It would be sheer 5 denier in hold up format

but I do think those thick skin tights with sandals should be banned & binned!
(maybe Anna is sporting stockings! - that, we will never know!)

Unless she goes a£se over t!t

I struggle with tan tights.Personally the tights I hate the most are the old barely black and black 10 denier types...nothing ages a person more than those tights IMO,and the nude tan tights are a bit close to them for comfort.

For me,its the darkest blackest opaques in the winter and a bit of bare fake tanned leg in the summer.

That said I saw my SIL wearing some tan American tights at a family do on saturday and they didn't look as awful as I imagined...at least she had them on with ballet pumps...sandals has to be the ultimate sin surely???

I hate tights of any description,my legs are tanned so Its the bare legged look in Summer and winter either hold ups or stockings in 5 denier.
Lynn:cool:

Nude tights are back in. Maybe not to be worn with sandals but they are definitely back in. To be fair though the trend is for sheer tights and not Nora Batty style.

I still love sheer black tights. I know they're not fashionable but opaque tights with a shift dress and high heels just feels so "practical". Sheer tights are still a luxury to my mind.

I think it all depends on your legs.

However tanned & golden they are, look at the back.
If legs have raised blue or knotty veins, or the skin is a bit loose around the knee or ankle, or there is dry skin on the knees, ankles or heels - it's just not a good look!
They may look good from the front, but the back view is the clincher. I've seen some awful naked legs in front of me on an escalator!

Funny how we 'age view' things as well.
When I was a teenager my mother would have had a fit if I attempted to leave the house for a evening out bare legged. She'd have said something about 'Ladies of the night' with bare legs lol. Daytime didn't seem to matter. 'Ladies of the day' must have been OK.
Black or dark opaque tights remind me of school uniform.

The good thing is there are no hard and fast rules - not that I've ever cared a flying fig about other people's fashion rules anyway.
I've got my own :grin:

I think it all depends on your legs.

However tanned & golden they are, look at the back.
If legs have raised blue or knotty veins, or the skin is a bit loose around the knee or ankle, or there is dry skin on the knees, ankles or heels - it's just not a good look!
They may look good from the front, but the back view is the clincher. I've seen some awful naked legs in front of me on an escalator!

Funny how we 'age view' things as well.
When I was a teenager my mother would have had a fit if I attempted to leave the house for a evening out bare legged. She'd have said something about 'Ladies of the night' with bare legs lol. Daytime didn't seem to matter. 'Ladies of the day' must have been OK.
Black or dark opaque tights remind me of school uniform.

The good thing is there are no hard and fast rules - not that I've ever cared a flying fig about other people's fashion rules anyway.
I've got my own :grin:

I don't need go anywhere near any escalator. :blush:

Yes Minim, I think it is an 'age' thing.

Years ago the only women who didn't wear tights (in Winter and before opaques) were poor people. Otherwise it was a definite no no, and a real serious crime if you went bare legged to work - you were'nt 'finished off' as an old boss of mine would say. And as for wearing black tights with white shoes WELL ! think Minny Mouse, only those with no fashion sense at all would leave home looking like that.

I'll admit to wearing tan tights, only because I used to get complimented on how tanned my legs were, until I confessed to having tights on. Now retired, with fairly decent dancer's legs, I only wear tights (black) to attend funerals !!!!!

Yes Minim, I think it is an 'age' thing.

Years ago the only women who didn't wear tights (in Winter and before opaques) were poor people. Otherwise it was a definite no no, and a real serious crime if you went bare legged to work - you were'nt 'finished off' as an old boss of mine would say.
Exactly.
My mother often told us about how they made up their legs during the war when stockings were as rare a hen's teeth - eyebrow pencil carefully drawn down the calf, legs stained with coffee made her legs stick together in the cinema one night & gravy browning attracted the dogs.

And as for wearing black tights with white shoes WELL ! think Minny Mouse, only those with no fashion sense at all would leave home looking like that.
Lol, yes.
Mind when I had my first pair of high heels, it was stockings & torture belt not tights. They were yet to come
As for heels, they had to be low and my mother insisted they had to be white - virginal I guess. I have always hated white shoes since.
I remember the thicker heel coming into fashion & she relented and bought me brown shoes with a 1 1/2" thick heel. I thought I was chocolate!

I'll admit to wearing tan tights, only because I used to get complimented on how tanned my legs were, until I confessed to having tights on. Now retired, with fairly decent dancer's legs, I only wear tights (black) to attend funerals !!!!!
I never gave up natural or light tan either. To start with I feel the cold and dark thicker tights always slide down on me. I wasn't called 'snake hips' for nothing. I will wear them if it's very cold but it's amazing how far down the crotch can go lol.

I think i"m definately out of the crowd. I wear tights every day in work, and worse those "support"

tights, to see if they help my legs through the long hours, and keep varicose veins away, he he.

But i stilll wear them every day, cant be bothered with fake tanning, and hate bare white legs,

especially mine, so i feel comfortable with them on, cant wait to get them of though when i

come home he he

Its an age thing. Yes I agree However, with that in mind, what 'age bracket' does JR think she is in as she turns 56yrs and decides to wear dresses that are strictly 'tunics' along with bare legs (and flipping flops)

Yes! The sexy 5-7 denier are delicious, but at £8 a shot, and as mentioned above, one snag and they are dusty bin bound!

My friend's DH loves tights - so much so, he'll buy her a nice thick, American tan pair... and then proceed to rip them off her in the bedroom! Her Spanx bodysuit has also rejuvenated their love-life!!

She was very hurt when I snorted my coffee through my nose as she confided IN DETAIL about the Spanx thing. I thought I deserved an Oscar for keeping a straight face after that.

Tights and sandals - should be shot.
Tights (or holdies or stockings) with shoes - always acceptable, especially if you are less than model perfect, which is nearly all of us.
Personally this year I am still in winter boots with socks!

I just had another memory.
My mother so so against bare legs that she used to wear her stockings carefully rolled down to her ankles. They used to sit neatly atop her fur trimmed slippers.
If someone knocked the door she'd roll them up & secure with the elastic suspenders.
And she always wore lipstick & rouge.

And when you sat to close to the fire, your knees got all warm and red

and sort of marked. No central heating , so we were all huddled round

the fire :whew:

And when you sat to close to the fire, your knees got all warm and red

and sort of marked. No central heating , so we were all huddled round

the fire :whew:

Toasted skin!
Was reading about it the other day - http://thedermblog.com/2008/03/11/toasted-skin-syndrome-no-im-not-making-this-up/
We had wonderful bladder control because we did not want to leave the room & go to the artic regions.
My aunt only had an outside toilet :eek:

Every adult seemed to have chilblains as well. I haven't heard anyone complains of those for donkey's years.

Oh very good Minim, just what i meant, came to me after i finished, MOTTLED SKIN.

remember it now. Stockings and those big control granny pant things, cant remember

what they were called. Not me, my Gran. Bless. Oh they had suspenders attached

so she must have had stockings on. Memories :thinking:

Yes my great aunt had the corn beef on one leg, it was nearest the fire. She had a piece of red flannel she put over her knee to stop it getting worse.

As a teen in the 70s I wore very pale nude tights, then in the 80s the stockings with lace in all colours etc. The 90s arrived and I moved into not wearing dresses or skirts, I don't own either. I live in jeans or trousers and wear socks. Yes ankle socks, or ankle opaques with some shoes and boots. As I have small feet size 3/36 I buy children's socks.

Latest posts

Back