Size discrimination?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Wornoutcreditcard

Registered Shopper
Watch the B&W fashion with my friend who is in tears because as a size 18 nothing will fit her apparently a 3xL is a chest of 46" . I clumsily suggested that the designer Mr Wilson doesn't want curvier women seen in his stuff which reduced her to tears, but I wonder. Could it be that they are sewn in the Far East where the woman are tiny, so over here only teenaged girls can fit into his creations, I don't go for spangly cruise wear or cat print t shirts for £70.00 so I don't feel in any way deprived, but my friend thinks this is so unfair because she likes this kind of thing. I do wonder why the sizing is so stingy.

The B&W clothes are really tiny. Simon must think everyone is a skinny Minnie like the models. I posted recently about the sizing on QVC. I watched on and off today and saw size 2xl in three different rages and all were different inch sizing. Sometimes even the same designed has different inch sizes for the sizes - a 14 could be 34 bust, 36, etc. You just don't know where you are.

if it helps tell your friend she isn't missing anything... i am a huge fan of his jewellery but his fashion is very poor.
sizing is very ungenerous and quality very, very poor!

if it helps tell your friend she isn't missing anything... i am a huge fan of his jewellery but his fashion is very poor.
sizing is very ungenerous and quality very, very poor!
I agree about quality, About 3 years ago I bought a t shirt with a peony flower print (not sparkly or anything), it was really flattering but once washed it shrunk upwards and went wide iykwim!

SW, like most in the fashion business, would consider anyone over a size 8 as a plus size. I am amazed that some of the presenters are able to get anything to fit, with the exception of JF who must be very very slim as everything she wears looks as if she could go down a size or two, even her own clothes.

There is no way JR would be a small in any of his range.

Watch the B&W fashion with my friend who is in tears because as a size 18 nothing will fit her apparently a 3xL is a chest of 46" . I clumsily suggested that the designer Mr Wilson doesn't want curvier women seen in his stuff which reduced her to tears, but I wonder. Could it be that they are sewn in the Far East where the woman are tiny, so over here only teenaged girls can fit into his creations, I don't go for spangly cruise wear or cat print t shirts for £70.00 so I don't feel in any way deprived, but my friend thinks this is so unfair because she likes this kind of thing. I do wonder why the sizing is so stingy.
Does she like being a size 18? If not suggest she looks up the 5:2 diet. People are having great successes with it and it costs nothing. People are losing 3 stone and more in 6 months or less.

Another one who agrees the quality is poor. I have found that the stuff shrinks in the wash even when done carefully so the items end up even smaller!!!

Hi,

I havent watched the shows today, but I do have some previous clothes from the B&W range, and I was a size 22 (have since lost some weight), and they fit fine.

Cheers,
karen

Does she like being a size 18? If not suggest she looks up the 5:2 diet. People are having great successes with it and it costs nothing. People are losing 3 stone and more in 6 months or less.

If she is in tears about being a size 18 and can't get anything to fit, the first she needs is her confidence boosted. If a range didn't fit me, there is no way that it would upset me to the point of tears.

If on the other hand she did want to lose weight, she must be very determined and confident as unless you are in the right frame of mind you can never be successful with a diet as if there is a set back in your life no matter how small, it will send you running to the biscuit tin or whatever is your weakness.

As for the 5:2 diet I know nothing of this, but 3 stone in 6 months seems much to fast to me. I don't believe in fad diets or even calling something a diet because it gives the impression that once you have achieved your goal you go back to eating what made you fat in the first place. This can make you put back on all the weight you have lost, plus more. I am speaking as someone who has unsuccessfully dieted all my life and I have only just found out the key to doing it successfully - well for me anyway.

No different to some high street stores, who consider a 12 to be a large and 14 extra large. I wouldnt consider BW range as size discrimination, to my knowledge there is no legal requirement for every retailer/manufacturer to offer goods catering to every shape and size. Would you consider Evans as discriminating because they don't offers small sizes?

Yes Zara consider size 14 to be plus size.

Old Karl Lagerfield being totally outraged that his collection for H&M was going to be made in a size 18, a few years back.

Tell your friend she has better taste than wear Mr.Wilson crappy fashion anyway. I use the word fashion loosely over priced Tshirts with glitter usually with kittens or puppies.

Simon Wilson isn't the designer of all (if any) of the stuff he flogs, he simply sources it in the Far East and adds a massive mark up.

Hmm... I thought it looked like far eastern tat tarted up with a UK label and said this to my friend but she loved the rose sequin top and a similar butterfly top and these were what annoyed her because of the sizing. I told her that she shouldn't lose weight just to be able to wear these clothes but look around for another more flattering range because she is a beautiful looking lady who like most of us has generous curves and doesn't look like an adolescent boy. She is a lovely friend and I want her to be happy with her appearance despite my idea of what does/doesn't suit her, I will tell her about the issues with the reported poor quality of this range which means shed be wasting her money I she did find something that fitted.

i have lost a lot of weight in the past anather average body in fact. I had the choice to wear lovely stuff for the first time in my life. I am now a size 22 and its downhill again. I am losing the weight and cant wait to look better in my body and in the better choices I will have buying lovely labels and designs.

I remember when in my teens being a size 14 was huge on the high street. that was the 60/70's I think there has been great strides made to ensure most sizes can dress stylish in quality clothes. but if you want high end stuff you are lucky to get them in a 16.

by the way I don't feel personally that butler and Wilson tops are my desire at any size. but It could be worse

No brand can fit every size or shape across the board. There will always be brands which stop at a size 14 or less, just as much as there will be brands which go right up to a size 30 or above.
Every generation of young women is apparantly bigger than the previous one and since the 60`s clothes sizing has taken this into account by often increasing their bust and hip measurements. A size 12 today will be on average 2 inches bigger than a size 12 back then. I have clothes in my wardrobe ranging from a generous size 12 to a very small size 18 and I think that`s how it will always be.
It`s a part of life and in one way or another we are all discriminated against because of the old saying " one size doesn`t fit all ". I go into several shops and see trousers I like but know not one single pair will be long enough. My friend is 4ft 11 and goes into the same shops and knows none of the trousers will fit her either because the shops assume everybody is a 30 inch inside leg. I often see dresses I like but know they`ll be several inches too short and the supposed waistline will finish just under my bust and my friend knows the dress will be almost to her ankles and the waistline will be around her hips.
There are things in life worth crying over and clothes certainly aren`t one of them. The World is full of more clothes shops/outlets/online websites than ever before, it`s a person`s oyster these days no matter what your size or shape. Someone somewhere will be selling whatever it is you are looking for and it is much better for us curvier ladies than it was when i was a teenager. My Mother was a size 22 in the 1960`s, was only in her 40`s, didn`t want to dress like an old lady but nobody nowhere sold nice clothes for bigger ladies. Nowadays things are much much better and who cares if certain brands only want to sell to certain body shapes and not others ?

I'm a size 2 - 4 and, even if I liked his clothes, I couldn't buy them, as they would drown me. The fashion ranges on QVC are, generically, geared towards the larger lady. Apparently, according to the Q, there isn't a big enough market for a more petite size range!

If she is in tears about being a size 18 and can't get anything to fit, the first she needs is her confidence boosted. If a range didn't fit me, there is no way that it would upset me to the point of tears.

If on the other hand she did want to lose weight, she must be very determined and confident as unless you are in the right frame of mind you can never be successful with a diet as if there is a set back in your life no matter how small, it will send you running to the biscuit tin or whatever is your weakness.

As for the 5:2 diet I know nothing of this, but 3 stone in 6 months seems much to fast to me. I don't believe in fad diets or even calling something a diet because it gives the impression that once you have achieved your goal you go back to eating what made you fat in the first place. This can make you put back on all the weight you have lost, plus more. I am speaking as someone who has unsuccessfully dieted all my life and I have only just found out the key to doing it successfully - well for me anyway.
I've done it the 5:2 diet. Admittedly I only needed to lose 16lbs and they went in 8 weeks. But the Facebook group to which I belong has big losers. It is called 'the5:2diet' and is a closed group to which you have to request membership. I think the diet could resolve a lot of the health problems of the nation. Most of us heard about it because of the panorama programme with Michael Mosely. The secret is that it is a life change or as we call it a' way of eating' woe for short. I was out to supper with friends recently and one couple had also done it 18 months ago because he had cholesterol problems .. All sorted now and he is looking good and so is she not that she needed to lose much.
I really want people to help themselves with this fantastic solution to our nation's problems. BTW it is free!

Yes Zara consider size 14 to be plus size.

Old Karl Lagerfield being totally outraged that his collection for H&M was going to be made in a size 18, a few years back.

Tell your friend she has better taste than wear Mr.Wilson crappy fashion anyway. I use the word fashion loosely over priced Tshirts with glitter usually with kittens or puppies.
Zara is a Spanish company. Generally Spanish women are petite and even when older and larger still much smaller than UK women. I'm 6ft and I can occasionally buy a jumper there. It is the same with Italian company Bennetton I love their knitwear but it is difficult to find anything in my size 14. I may live in Spain eventually and luckily there are quite a few expate shops cause I can't wear the local clothes. Same problem when I lived in France 35 years ago. I made my own in the end and came back to the UK to buy shoes in a size 8. Holland was fantastic and I used to stock up on shoes when working there as there was more choice than the UK

In tears and citing discrimination?

It's only a shopping channel, not being forced to work in a rice field at 9 months pregnant!

Latest posts

Back