Size discrimination?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Does she like being a size 18? If not suggest she looks up the 5:2 diet. People are having great successes with it and it costs nothing. People are losing 3 stone and more in 6 months or less.

Sorry, but I don't think this comment is a helpful contribution.
Diet advice via a third party, however good their intentions, is doomed to failure.

I quite like shopping in shops geared to German ladies as they don't bat an eyelid at bigger sizes and I can even feel petite there. LOL

It is true that people in the Far East are often very tiny and that the clothes generally available are particularly tiny. However, plenty of ranges with a wide range of sizes are made in that area - they will make what they are paid to make. It's a simple choice by the brand what sizes they offer. Plenty of brands don't offer a wide range of sizes. It's up to them. I think they're missing a trick, but that's the way it is.

Sorry, but I don't think this comment is a helpful contribution.
Diet advice via a third party, however good their intentions, is doomed to failure.

Yes there is the o!d maxim, you can take a horse to water but you can't force it to drink. I've even got a friend who is type 2 diabetic and she won't try the diet even though I know of people who have come off their tablets as a result of 5:2. Such a pity and she was upset at having to take the tablets.

I used to attend a slimming club and people were always saying they wanted to wear size 12/14 etc again.I tend not to focus on the size label as fit varies so much.I don't order clothes from Q as the sizing seems to be all over the place.B&W sizes are very small but I wouldn't be seen dead in them anyway.I do like the styling of Zara but even a Large is too neat from me (I am around a 16)I am not sure I agree that the Spanish are more petite, Many seem very curvy and stocky as they get older.

No brand can fit every size or shape across the board. There will always be brands which stop at a size 14 or less, just as much as there will be brands which go right up to a size 30 or above.
Every generation of young women is apparantly bigger than the previous one and since the 60`s clothes sizing has taken this into account by often increasing their bust and hip measurements. A size 12 today will be on average 2 inches bigger than a size 12 back then. I have clothes in my wardrobe ranging from a generous size 12 to a very small size 18 and I think that`s how it will always be.
It`s a part of life and in one way or another we are all discriminated against because of the old saying " one size doesn`t fit all ". I go into several shops and see trousers I like but know not one single pair will be long enough. My friend is 4ft 11 and goes into the same shops and knows none of the trousers will fit her either because the shops assume everybody is a 30 inch inside leg. I often see dresses I like but know they`ll be several inches too short and the supposed waistline will finish just under my bust and my friend knows the dress will be almost to her ankles and the waistline will be around her hips.
There are things in life worth crying over and clothes certainly aren`t one of them. The World is full of more clothes shops/outlets/online websites than ever before, it`s a person`s oyster these days no matter what your size or shape. Someone somewhere will be selling whatever it is you are looking for and it is much better for us curvier ladies than it was when i was a teenager. My Mother was a size 22 in the 1960`s, was only in her 40`s, didn`t want to dress like an old lady but nobody nowhere sold nice clothes for bigger ladies. Nowadays things are much much better and who cares if certain brands only want to sell to certain body shapes and not others ?

I do agree on that one. In the mid 60's I had just left school and could just about get into a size 16 at Chelsea Girl, so it was constant dieting even back then, in order to get into fashionable clothes. For larger ladies there was Evans Outsize that sold long sleeved floral frocks with belts and pleats, or Deans that advertised in the papers, or Marshall Ward the catalogue.

Compared to even 20 years ago, the fashion market place has woken up to the fact that clothes have to be made bigger for a 'growing' population, so the choice on line, catalogues and High Street is far more than ever there used to be.

KL has been vocal on overweight people in fashion. I read that he explained his opinions as being more as advice for people to lose weight since was overweight himself. I come across a lot of formerly overweight people who are nothing but well-meaning in their advice about losing weight as they have benefitted so much from it themselves.

There's nothing new about the 5:2 (or the 2:5 for maintenance). My mother used this in the sixties. She also went through an Atkins-type phase before settling on the 5:2/2:5.

I use MyFitnessPal to keep a check on what I eat. I'm not dieting at the moment, though I should be, but I like to keep in the habit of tracking my foods for allergy reasons. It's free and, provided you have the will-power (which every eating plan requires), is a fairly easy way of losing weight. You can set your own figures for loss (or maintenance) and keep an accurate food diary on your mobile phone should you want to show your health professional your eating history. Best of all, it's FREE!

Latest posts

Back