Should we be insulted?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

It is patronizing, if they assume we're sheep who will jump at something because a some Z lister uses it, but I'm not easily lead.
I also think sometimes it's insulting my intelligence - in that it assumes I haven't the brains to figure out if it suits me or it's worth it, but assume that it must be fantastic because so-an-so uses it.
I also think that if these celebs are getting paid (or get freebies) to endorse products, then it's just a different form of advertising and should be treated as such and it isn't a worthwhile testimonial IMHO

In my opinion, the words 'celebrity', and A lister, have been foisted onto us by the media, and anyone with half a coffee bean of intelligence would treat it with the disdain it deserves. (On an aside, I sat open mouthed at how the interviewers were calling the likes of Carol Vorderman and grabbing her for comments, an A lister at Cilla's funeral. - dear Lord if she is now the epitome of an A lister I shake my head in disbelief)

I agree with all the comments about these so called celebs. I think we should all remember that each one of us is special and just because we don't have our names emblazoned in the press or on tv screens we are important to somebody should it be an other half (if we have one), children, friends and our Maker. So no, I am another one who doesn't worship at the celeb shrine.

There was a time when people who were famous were famous for achieving something worthwhile. Today a celebrity is merely someone who has appeared on television, in whatever capacity. All, of course, fuelled by the insatiable demands of gossip mags, reality TV programmes and the like. It's becoming aspirational to look like, dress like, and behave like the people on shows like The Only Way Is Essex, Made In Chelsea, Geordie Shore etc...

All programmes I've never seen nor want to, but like most tele (run by kids) its all geared to the teens and twenties - not forgetting Sun readers.

Andy Warhol reckoned everyone will be famous for fifteen minutes, and he's absolutely right............so far I've only got fourteen minutes and sixty seconds left of mine :mysmilie_14:

I have plenty of admiration for certain celebrities who are actually famous for being good at something, and who seem nice/intelligent/charitable/principled/similar/all of the above. They seem to be a relatively rare breed though. I've never understood and will never understand the likes of reality tv people becoming massive, usually for nothing but making a holy of show of themselves. Utterly bizarre.

I don't understand a lot that goes on nowadays, and find most of what people do 'bizarre'. Can anyone please tell me what the fascination is of taking photos of a funeral procession ??? Not many years ago it wouldn't have been tolerated, or the 'decent' thing to do, but now...... words fail me.

I don't understand a lot that goes on nowadays, and find most of what people do 'bizarre'. Can anyone please tell me what the fascination is of taking photos of a funeral procession ??? Not many years ago it wouldn't have been tolerated, or the 'decent' thing to do, but now...... words fail me.

That's a thing?!

Sleb endorsement does absolutely nothing for me because most of them have done nothing of note with their lives and I'm not in touch enough to know who most of them are, either. Nor does it enrich my life to know that Mr or Ms X was on Big Brother/a Beckham friend/does outrageous things/whatever.

Latest posts

Back