Scholl Sandals - How embarrassing!

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Gem Genie

Registered Shopper
Gill Franks has just tried to get some historical information out of the guest presenter and she hadn't a clue how to answer.

Gill wanted background info on how the famous Dr Scholl came to invent the exercise sandal in the first place and the girl answered by mentioning Twiggy in the 60's - oh dear!

As it happens, the original wooden ones were all the go in the 60's. I had a pair of beige ones and then in the 70's I had a pair of navy blue all leather ones.

They seem to have been superceded now by Birkenstocks of which I also have a pair but to be honest I think Scholls were far more popular.

I thought the guest was TERRIBLE.One of the worst on QVC.Has she represented this brand before...she had literally nothing to say....just kept repeating herself??

She sounds like a market trader. The sort that put on a show and say I'm not asking £20, I'm not asking £10 etc'.

I switched the telly off after she struggled with the first question. Then I googled her, AmandaFoxcroft? saw she worked there and thought, not a model,actor,dancer. She should know her stuff. Oh dear, seems like uncomfortable viewing.

When I first started working in an office, all of the women had a pair of Scholls that they took out of their pedestal drawer and put on when they arrived at work.
Many of them had a "cardi" in the other drawer for those times when a young whippersnapper (me) opened a window *shock*
In winter, a pair of short wellys might be produced from the pedestal for those unexpected snows showers. Often these were glossy red. With a white sole.

Yes, she was toe - curlingly embarrassing. Much as I can't stand JF, she was doing a good job of keeping the show moving along. Wonder if they'll have the guest back for the next show.

Iin the 1970's I was one of those office workers with a pair of beige scholls in my desk pedestal . I remember getting terrible cramp once when wearing them and one of our managers (Clive, bit of a middle-aged lech) massaged the foot "better". The scholls went in the bin after that.

We were banned from opening our office windows after a rather serious incident during the mega-hot summer of 1976. A sudden gust of wind blew a stack of work out of the window - problem is we worked in a bank in the city and the papers represented high-value payment instructions ! Luckily all were retrieved before payment deadlines. After that, management paid out for ice lollies when it got too hot. They were the good old days in financial services !

Linda xx

In those days too in financial circles there were such people as "punch card operators".

I bet half the people on here wouldn't even have heard of them.

GemGenie - I knew them as KeyPunchOperators. Their room was next to the only air-conditioned room in the building, the sacro-sanct 'no entrance' massive computer room. A whole room for one computer, the wallhung reels and the card-sorter machine. Sylvia, the supervisor, her son was working in this new industry (1973) where they recorded on film, bands playing their songs. We thought it would never catch on, it's just Brian and his hippy friends. The beginning of MTV and videos!

JF makes it sound like a one-man-band set up like a market stall rather than a big business. Maybe she was off to Liverpool after the show to pick and pack the orders and she's nipped to the post office this morning to send them out.

I think the Scholl guest needs to watch a Birkenstock hour as Nicky (is that her name?) their guest is excellent.

Latest posts

Back