Richard III

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I like history, so I feel quite exited about Richard III!

Looking forward to the C4 documentary tonight.

Thanks for the heads up Frazzled, I may well have missed it as there's also something on BBC2 and Lewis on iTV. One of them will have to be viewed an hour later. I saw a bit about this excavation on telly and they were interviewing his latest descendant. Richard 111 was raised fairly local to us and we've visited his boyhood home a few times, though Middleham is also reknowned these days as a centre for horse racing trainers/stables!

Do you think he will look anything like the portraits? They have already said he was very slender for a man. Also he would be 5 foot 8 if he did not have the curvature of the spine.

Programme just starting ...

I've been somewhat gripped by this story. OK, completely gripped.

It was good, wasn't it? I started off finding Philippa really irritating but her genuine passion for her subject won me over. I loved the combination of archaeology, forensics, science and history to develop the team's conclusions.

Did anyone turn over to More4 afterwards to watch the Starkey documentary? It was back to Richard the Villain and 'twisted mind in a twisted body' stuff and endless footage of galloping steeds and hand to hand combat. I gave up after half an hour and read all I needed to on Wiki instead!

Philippa, seemed so shocked at finding he did have a curved spine. But as the bone expert said, it would have only been noticeable if he had no clothes on. He was able to wear armour no problems. The recreation of the face was amazing, it did look similar to the portrait, which shows the painting existed before his death and then doctored to add extra bits to fit the story which went down in history of him.

I want to know what the further results are- the DNA from the male side of the family, when they come out. I wonder if the cousin of Michael will be able to remain anonymous? I expect there will be reporters digging into the archives. I can't imagine not wanting to be acknowledged as his relative , I can only think that the person is concerned about Richard's alleged reputation or the position of the person would make it embarrassing to be revealed.

glad everyone found it enjoyable - there were four things we would've liked to watch - typical isn't it, any other night there's nothing - anyway we taped Richard III and watched Lewis, so I shall look forward to seeing it soon.

richard iii recon.jpg

For anyone that would like to see the reconstructed face, I managed to get a screen shot of it. I think he looks beautiful.

I've been gripped by this as you all have, always been a Ricardian, feeling that although he did do some terrible things, he really was no worse than any of the Tudors (who I am fascinated by, but find it very hard to like any of them as "people"). I think Shakespeare was a git for characterising Richard in the way he did :tongue:

Thank you! He reminds me of someone - have never seen the Olivier film, just clips, but perhaps like him...or maybe Keith Michel (Six Wives of Henry VIII) with a false nose.. Nice looking man anyway!

Do you know I know virtually nothing about Richard III...despite being a Yorkshire girl now residing in the red rose county...and despite having a degree in history from, erm, the University of Leicester :giggle:

It was lovely to see all the press yesterday though with the logo of the institution that is Officially The Best University In The Entire World in the background :rock:. OH and I were quite taken with nostalgia (we were both there 1994-7, though we didn't meet till four years later in London bizarrely). The Archaeology and Ancient History department was always known as one of the best in the world and looks like they've lived up to their reputation in the last year.

Carol I bet East Midlands today were going barmy weren't they? Is it still Nick wotsit of Anne and Nick fame (or was he on the other side, I forget?) This must be the biggest news story since that bird made its nest in that woman's peg bag. Surely you remember that one? That actually was the main story on East Mids today once when I was living there :clapping:

No AD, Nick is long gone - if anything we watch Beebs with Dominic Heale & Anne Davis now as that's 6.30 and we turn over after Eggheads at 6 - being clever like wot we are y'see..! But I didn't see it last night actually..

Carol I bet East Midlands today were going barmy weren't they? Is it still Nick wotsit of Anne and Nick fame (or was he on the other side, I forget?) This must be the biggest news story since that bird made its nest in that woman's peg bag. Surely you remember that one? That actually was the main story on East Mids today once when I was living there :clapping:

Look North once led with a story of a man who thought he might give up keeping bees as a hobby.
I thought that really plumbed the depths, but BirdsNestGate has just become my new fave. :clapping:

I enjoyed it , I think the lady who does the head reconstruction is the same one who is on history cold case on yesterday Chanel, I am glad they found him & he is going to be laid to rest properly at Leicester cathedral

Flying Pigs I only went back as far as H8 (as he used to be written in my notes!) Then moved sideways into politics (so actually more round and round than sideways) for my masters. I did my PhD at Lancaster university, another R3 connection! But still feel more loyal to Leicester for some reason, a really underated city and region IMHO. Anyway, I now have a recurring anxiety dream about forgetting a Tudor history essay until the day it's due. Always the same! I had always intended to do another masters when I retired (always fancied London Studies at Goldsmiths) but that dream has convinced me that my days of carrying an A4 file are over!

Just remembered when they opened the first Wetherspoons in Leicester it was called The Last Plantagenet. Wonder if they'll add 'Now Found'...

sublime it's true I promise. Nick Wotsit did a majorly in-depth investigation into this Leicestershire woman's clothes line. They had experts in birds nesting habits on live links from the Outer Hebrides, the lot. Kept the entire community in giggles for days...

You don't mean the Look North "that is presented tonight by Harry Gration and Judith Stamper" do you? That was the Yorkshire one when I was a kid, but think there's a number of them, Cumbria, North East etc. Wonder if Tyne Tees is still going...wandering off topic and down memory lane now!

Latest posts

Back