Returns? Don't hold your breath....

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

amn

Registered Shopper
I returned an item last week, something which I don't do often. I sent it on Thursday 18th via Royal Mail 2nd class post and paid the extra however much for recorded delivery so I'd have a record of it getting there and when.

I checked earlier in the week and it was signed for on Saturday 20th, so knowing nothing would happen until the start of this week I've left it till today to check again. Still nothing showing on my account to say the item's been returned despite the fact they've already had it 5 working days, so I gave them a ring and was told they wouldnt even start to think about it till at least 14 days till it was returned, I told them I'd sent it recorded so I knew it had been received and when, but she wasn't interested and to ring back when a fortnights gone by. In the meantime while they're sitting round twiddling their thumbs processing things at a ****** snails pace I'm still without my forty odd quid. How many other online retailers can you think of that'll sit on a return for that long before they start doing anything about it? How hard can it be...?

I must admit 14 days does seem a long time. I order online from YOurs Clothing and they deal with refunds on the same day as receipt of your return.

I haven't timed any return lately but I know it is a lengthy process before you see that money back in your bank account.Of course the longer that your money remains with Q the more interest they will make on it & that will add up to quite an amount over all the returns.

They used to return the money within a couple of days but I noticed the last time I returned something it did take a long time before the return was acknowledged and then a further time before I got the money back. Ideal World are worse - I waited about 6 weeks for a refund.

CC

They used to return the money within a couple of days but I noticed the last time I returned something it did take a long time before the return was acknowledged and then a further time before I got the money back. Ideal World are worse - I waited about 6 weeks for a refund.

CC

Ive always had my refund from IW in under one week, I've never waited longer than a week, QVC on the other hand is two weeks, longer because when you send the dreaded letter back that adds on another week so three in all. The last thing I've sent back they suspended my account, too many returns. They'll note on my account that I rarely order now, and the past three returns were because they were faulty and used by a previous customer, don't get me wrong, they're the dearest place to shop now so I rarely shop there anyway. I must add though that they're holding on to my last refund for some reason, so I'll be holding on to their last two easy pays.................swings and roundabouts eh. :mysmilie_14:

I ordered 3 items in early May to come out to Switzerland. Anything normally posted takes maybe 2 or 3 days longer from any other person. When the 3 working weeks that the q allowed were up they then sent the letters to sign to say "no, I haven't had it and I will help your claim" . These took 3 weeks to arrive. It costs me approx £2 to post these back so I asked if I could just email confirmation. After another few days of waiting I was told yes if I scanned them back. I am not that good on scanning etc. but after spending a few hours struggling I managed it. It then took them a further week or so to show the letters as received back on my account and, unless the refunds went in in the last few days, I am still waiting for the money. Pretty poor with over a £100 outstanding since early May. I asked them for compensation given the hassle and the amount of time. Of course, they didn't feel that they had done anything wrong. It's a rubbish process from a customers perspective.

Actually, I just checked my q account and they still haven't marked one of the orders from 17th May as "returned". Wow, that is pretty inefficient .what is the betting that when I ring them up the whole process has to start again as they have, ahem, lost the form . Even though it was one scan and they have the other two. Still, they have followed all their "procedure" so it's not their fault that I have been massively inconvenienced.

I returned two parcels 2nd class Royal Mail yesterday, so it will be interesting to see how long they take to reach Q and when I get my refund. I have noticed in the past sometimes 3 weeks, and I shop online all the time, in fact it's now the only way I shop, the only thing I buy in town is a coffee these days QVC always boast, but they are way below what other online retailers offer by way of returned money.

I returned 2 items 10 days ago, both posted at the same time.
One was refunded in a week and the other is still waiting a refund nearly a week later .
It seems to be a standard policy for a lot of companies to take 1-2 weeks before they process a refund - I agree they must be getting a lot of interest on that money - but then again the banks take 5 working days to clear a cheque, which means they are playing the same game too !!

Thanks for all your comments on this I returned an item on 16th June (with a prepaid label) and it hasn't been marked as returned. I was going to call them but it looks like I'll need to leave it a while longer if they won't investigate yet. It's strange because the last item I sent back was marked returned within 3 days. I wonder if that was because it was jewellery and may be dealt with by a different department.

Here's a bit of interesting info: I read the following on facebook posted by an Anne Knight:

talked to Trading Standards.
They gave me some advice. When returning an item send the receipt of postage/Hermes collection slip by email to QVC. Consumer Contracts Regulations state that refunds must be paid within 14 calendar days after returning the goods, or EVIDENCE that they were returned.
Proof of postage should be sufficient evidence of returning goods. The fact that QVC say the item has not been returned is irrelevant.

I posted some clothing returned items on Monday ( not QVC) this time.I decided to pay around £5 instead of over £11 for signed for next day delivery.I did get the distinct feeling from the woman at the counter that this was not the best decision.So I am holding my breath hoping my parcel will get to it's destination & my not wanting to pay over the odds was not false economy.Why can't we expect a mail service that delivers up to what we pay for?

I returned 2 items 10 days ago, both posted at the same time.
One was refunded in a week and the other is still waiting a refund nearly a week later .
It seems to be a standard policy for a lot of companies to take 1-2 weeks before they process a refund - I agree they must be getting a lot of interest on that money - but then again the banks take 5 working days to clear a cheque, which means they are playing the same game too !!

I foolishly thought that the banks had speeded up the time it takes to clear a cheque! Oh not so-- when I paid in a cheque it showed as credited to my account when I logged into my online banking.So I went to make a payment using that amount, it was declined as it really wasn't there ( for 5 days).

I posted 2 items back, one got lost and QVC didn't receive it, so they sent me the usual letter to declare returning it with proof of posting and it appears that it has also been lost by post office as QVC haven't received the proof letter either .
I rang them and they have instantly refunded me, but they also want me to send the proof of return again.
The post office seem to be loosing so much post recently, one wonders what they do with it all? I have had about 8 - 10 items lost by post office this year.
I think QVC should start requesting proof of return via email - a lot quicker and cheaper than by post.

I have often returned items Royal Mail 2nd class, and have discovered it can take several weeks from when I've returned it to showing up on my accounts as 'returned' even two items separate mail on the same day, one was received several days later, the other up to 3 weeks later, but in every case, I can honestly say that my card has been credited with the amount very quickly, I think I can only think of one occasion when it took longer.

I can't comment on other shopping telly channels as QVC is the only one I use. I shop online all the time, for me it's the only way to shop, and there are often 'online exclusives', but I always get good feedback on any returned items.

I still like to shop with QVC though.

To be honest I suspect it's QVC who lose the parcel when it's returned. I do virtually all my shopping online and I've never had any return go missing to any other retailers. I can count at least 4 parcels I've returned to QVC that have "gone missing", and I don't buy an awful lot from QVC.

Last edited:
Btw no need to pay for any more expensive postage than 2nd class Royal Mail to return (unless you want to be able to track it online) because it's QVC processing your return that takes forever, not the delivery of it to QVC. A relative of mine always sends her returns recorded and it's signed for at QVC 1-2 days later, but it's still days after that until she gets the return email and refund. Doesn't get a refund any quicker than I do by returning 2nd class! Don't know why she bothers really!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back