Random musings and general banter.

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

"Swiss artisan brand"

Sure Shaun, so Swiss it's made in China with Japanese movements.

Original Duxot was, this Duxot imitation isn't.

I suppose start as you mean to go on, lies. Cause that's all we are getting from this pair.

Laugh is, it's not like the prices are cheap.

"it's a brand shrouded in mystery"

no it's not, it went out of business, kaput, gone. The Dartmouth brands aquired the name, just like they did with Earnshaw and have started up a brand that has no connection with the old brand, and insuating all kinds of history and heritage with the new brand which it doesn't have.

Oh and seems very strange, it's a "brand shrouded in mystery" to the sales director of the Company that owns the brand. :confused:

I just noticed, the chronograph hand on the red meca quartz watch needs re calibrating, doesn't reset exactly to 12 o clock. it's a second out.

Parnis do a very similar watch with that same movement, better looking case (looks closer to the original daytona) and cheaper. :)

...... at least 'Maria our head watch buyer' got a mention , although I was disappointed not to hear the phrase ' many of our top collectors'.
Perhaps I just missed it.

Laugh is, it's not like the prices are cheap.

"it's a brand shrouded in mystery"

no it's not, it went out of business, kaput, gone. The Dartmouth brands aquired the name, just like they did with Earnshaw and have started up a brand that has no connection with the old brand, and insuating all kinds of history and heritage with the new brand which it doesn't have.

Oh and seems very strange, it's a "brand shrouded in mystery" to the sales director of the Company that owns the brand. :confused:

I think the watch expert came as close as anyone on selly telly ever would when discussing the brands heritage. He mentioned something about 'popular in the 50's, 60's' and then waffled a bit before saying 'has come back to the fore over the past few years ...' or words to that effect.

In other words, the original company stopped producing for whatever reason and, as Hammy says, the name was bought and another company completely unrelated to the original is now churning out watches and stamping this brand name on them :)

"Swiss artisan brand"

Sure Shaun, so Swiss it's made in China with Japanese movements.

Original Duxot was, this Duxot imitation isn't.

I suppose start as you mean to go on, lies. Cause that's all we are getting from this pair.
I actually quite liked the look of some of the Duxot watches they were selling, but the inflated fake 'RRP' prices are about as attractive as saying "As worn by Jimmy Savile", not to mention the unnamed movements (if it was something like ETA they would be mentioning that every 30 seconds) and the usual impression of being actually worth less than half the price of what they're selling them for. If they had fairly reputable innards and selling for less than £100 then yes I would seriously consider buying one, but for all of that combined with a blatantly dishonest sales pitch for most of the time it's a big 'No' from me.

I actually quite liked the look of some of the Duxot watches they were selling, but the inflated fake 'RRP' prices are about as attractive as saying "As worn by Jimmy Savile", not to mention the unnamed movements (if it was something like ETA they would be mentioning that every 30 seconds) and the usual impression of being actually worth less than half the price of what they're selling them for. If they had fairly reputable innards and selling for less than £100 then yes I would seriously consider buying one, but for all of that combined with a blatantly dishonest sales pitch for most of the time it's a big 'No' from me.
Bit of digging reveals the non chrono's are Miyota powered.

Some of their watches have a feel like they could be in the Spinnaker / AVi -8 line up, of course it's the same owners, so probably made in the same factory in china.
That's the thing about quite a few of the brands on Ideal World, it's not that they are bad/poor quality watches, it's the over inflated RRPs and all the nonsense around the brand names , origins, quality level etc, and as you say "blatantly dishonest sales pitch" that's the problem, even if there is a watch you like you are put off by the guests and presenters behaviour, if they would just be honest about the brands, and the watches, their quality and value, they would probably sell more, as i said, basically there is nothing wrong with the watches.
You don't have to over exaggerate the value or quality of a watch to make it popular, geesh just look at Casio, Timex, Orient etc, all have one thing in common (apart from being actual watchmaking brands), is they don't pretend to be something they are not, they don't pretend to be equivalent to some luxury Swiss watch brands, they give you decent quality watches at really affordable prices.

I think the watch expert came as close as anyone on selly telly ever would when discussing the brands heritage. He mentioned something about 'popular in the 50's, 60's' and then waffled a bit before saying 'has come back to the fore over the past few years ...' or words to that effect.

In other words, the original company stopped producing for whatever reason and, as Hammy says, the name was bought and another company completely unrelated to the original is now churning out watches and stamping this brand name on them :)

Yeah he said "like a Phoenix rising from the flames", I always thought it was ashes like, but maybe that's just me. :ROFLMAO:

Some of their watches have a feel like they could be in the Spinnaker / AVi -8 line up, of course it's the same owners, so probably made in the same factory in china.
That's the thing about quite a few of the brands on Ideal World, it's not that they are bad/poor quality watches, it's the over inflated RRPs and all the nonsense around the brand names , origins, quality level etc, and as you say "blatantly dishonest sales pitch" that's the problem, even if there is a watch you like you are put off by the guests and presenters behaviour, if they would just be honest about the brands, and the watches, their quality and value, they would probably sell more, as i said, basically there is nothing wrong with the watches.
You don't have to over exaggerate the value or quality of a watch to make it popular, geesh just look at Casio, Timex, Orient etc, all have one thing in common (apart from being actual watchmaking brands), is they don't pretend to be something they are not, they don't pretend to be equivalent to some luxury Swiss watch brands, they give you decent quality watches at really affordable prices.

I completely agree with you. Let's say they normally do this for a Vostok:

IW usual price: £899
Price during show: £399
Book price: £1,699

It would be very interesting to see if they'd sell less, the same or more if they tried this approach for a few months (to let the concept bed in with viewers):

IW usual price: £499
Book price: £599 (I appreciate this is beyond IW's control and would require market adjustments)

In short, stop having a ridiculous range between sale and book price. The viewer is getting a bit of a bargain from the usual price and the book price is much closer to the retail prices. Everything more realistic.

However as we've touched on before, IW know their market and are perhaps right to assume most of their buyers are influenced by perceived greater savings and bargains e.g. the '£10k' solid gold watch that was instantly selling with 50% off!!!

I completely agree with you. Let's say they normally do this for a Vostok:

IW usual price: £899
Book price: £1,699

It would be very interesting to see if they'd sell less, the same or more if they tried this approach for a few months (to let the concept bed in with viewers):

IW usual price: £499
Book price: £599 (I appreciate this is beyond IW's control and would require market adjustments)

In short, stop having a ridiculous range between sale and book price. The viewer is getting a bit of a bargain from the usual price and the book price is much closer to the retail prices. Everything more realistic.

However as we've touched on before, IW know their market and are perhaps right to assume most of their buyers are influenced by perceived greater savings and bargains e.g. the '£10k' solid gold watch that was instantly selling with 50% off!!!

My personal feeling, although just my opinion could be wrong, but if ideal world changed their approach and not just to the pricing, but also more honesty on the details, history, heritage and quality of the brands, the watches etc and changed their presentation style, I think they would actually gain (and in reality that would extent to most products they sell). I think they would keep their existing collectors, a lot of whom, going by some of the reviews, seem to have collections build around IW brands, they would probably still get the one off buyers just looking for a daily watch or a gift to someone, but then they could gain from the mass of collectors out there who wouldn't touch IW with a barge pole at the moment. I know collectors who own some of the brands on IW, even I have some of the watches that have appeared on IW, but they wouldn't buy from IW, not because the watches are bad/poor, but pure and simply because of the way IW presenters and guests behave, which we mention after virtually every watch show.
Of course they may be happy with the results they have at the moment, they may think they have a dedicated following of gullible buyers who seem to believe every word said on screen and will happily continue to buy their watches, so why change things, they probably think that churning out misinformation and exaggerating RRPs and quality is working so why change.

Personally, I don't always buy from the cheapest supplier, but from the supplier that I have confidence in due to their honesty, their knowlege, their service (both during and after sale). For me part of the process is your buying the seller as well as the item.

Anybody would think Rob Locke is hard up.

When he does his overnight shift on ITV, he often does a shift on Create and Craft also finishing at 9.45pm.

When he finished on Create and Craft last night, he said, you can join me on ITV yes the main ITV from just after midnight

Latest posts

Back