Random musings and general banter.

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

He’s fine he has not rustling

Wimpy is still around
Food is cooked to order you get knives and forks and those tomatoes shaped sauce bottles and the lady washes them out before refilling them tables are spotless
A proper brew not gnats pee
I used to like the odd McDonald’s on a Friday night
But in most places they don’t cook them on the griddle anymore they are thin and tasteless they are precooked and frozen and reheated 🤢
My neighbours son worked there for years evenings and weekends when they were thicker burgers cooked to order
And his son did work there but said it like a sweat shop
Rushing to serve rushing to get the deliveries done
No way of keeping it hot
Order comes in take out ready toasted frozen bun and frozen precooked burger
Stick on reheat with frozen onions “ping”
add sauce stick in box and to server
Who is already doing order 55 for collection while someone else is doing delivery order you are order 66😀
You open Box to find soggy bun cold burger and chips
You go to complain see the queue
and promptly drop in the bin on they way out 😁
Wasn't it Richard Bacon on an episode of WILTY who pointed out that a McD's beef pattie goes from frozen to cooked in 12 seconds!

(He was dumped by his girlfriend at the till he was serving her at as a student job - True).

He’s fine he has not rustling

Wimpy is still around
Food is cooked to order you get knives and forks and those tomatoes shaped sauce bottles and the lady washes them out before refilling them tables are spotless
A proper brew not gnats pee
I used to like the odd McDonald’s on a Friday night
But in most places they don’t cook them on the griddle anymore they are thin and tasteless they are precooked and frozen and reheated 🤢
My neighbours son worked there for years evenings and weekends when they were thicker burgers cooked to order
And his son did work there but said it like a sweat shop
Rushing to serve rushing to get the deliveries done
No way of keeping it hot
Order comes in take out ready toasted frozen bun and frozen precooked burger
Stick on reheat with frozen onions “ping”
add sauce stick in box and to server
Who is already doing order 55 for collection while someone else is doing delivery order you are order 66😀
You open Box to find soggy bun cold burger and chips
You go to complain see the queue
and promptly drop in the bin on they way out 😁
The McD burgers used to be on a high-temp conveyor grill. Sounds like you're saying they microwave them or just warm up defrost on a grill.

Take-away prices: local chippy wants £2.80 for a small chips. Most take aways want £2.50 minimum for fried basket chips. A burger now costs £3.50 - £5+. A kebab, lamb doner, chicken shawarma now £8+.

Chips used to be £1, £1.50, proper burger £2/£2.50+, kebab £5-6, just a few years ago.

Since covid, ukraine energy, gas prices and general inflation the prices have gone mad and I think some are taking advantage.
Fish and chips now £11 or £12/£15+ minimum!
Proper restaurants want £18+! Depending on how salubrious they *think* they are!

I progressively offered the chippy £1.80, £2, £2.50, for his £2.80 chips and he wouldn't budge. So didn't get my order. Said he was in business, but I don't believe he couldn't offer a discount and still make a profit.

The McD burgers used to be on a high-temp conveyor grill. Sounds like you're saying they microwave them or just warm up defrost on a grill.

Take-away prices: local chippy wants £2.80 for a small chips. Most take aways want £2.50 minimum for fried basket chips. A burger now costs £3.50 - £5+. A kebab, lamb doner, chicken shawarma now £8+.

Chips used to be £1, £1.50, proper burger £2/£2.50+, kebab £5-6, just a few years ago.

Since covid, ukraine energy, gas prices and general inflation the prices have gone mad and I think some are taking advantage.
Fish and chips now £11 or £12/£15+ minimum!
Proper restaurants want £18+! Depending on how salubrious they *think* they are!

I progressively offered the chippy £1.80, £2, £2.50, for his £2.80 chips and he wouldn't budge. So didn't get my order. Said he was in business, but I don't believe he couldn't offer a discount and still make a profit.

I spotted a sign in a local chippy a few days ago - special offer: chips, small fried sausage and a side. £4.50

I remember when McD had a buy one get one free on Big Macs. They ran out of buns as their head office buyers forgot to tell the bun makers about the promotion. Massive Queues outside our local McD then they closed about 4 hours early.
I remember the 25th anniversary of McD's in UK and Big Macs were £1.
Remember buying 4 or 5 at a time in the City and having one, or two, and saving others in fridge for dinner, or next day, etc. You can get tired of anything if you have it often enough in a short space of time!
🍔🐡😘🤗🤢

It would have made me feel like pulling Wurzel Gummidge (Boris's) badly thatched peroxide yellow roof (aka his hair) out by the roots, but he wasn't the only one by a long way. I really feel for those who never got to say 'goodbye' to relatives who died, to see them for one last time. How these people sleep at nights I don't know, but they are without any moral compass so I guess it's easy.
😔

Ingersoll - the watches you looked at ih the Green Shield or Embassy catalogues, checked your books and coupons and realised it was a Timex moment, or no moment at all!!
Green shield stamps that brings back memories
My Mum had a blue and white patterned coffee set and a tea set she got with her stamps
She hardly used them as they were thin china so they stayed in the display cabinet where family members would oh and ahh over them 🤣
When she passed away aged 94 my brother and I sorted the house
Neither of us could get rid of the sets
So I still have the coffee set and he had the tea set
I’m am a bit old school and like to keep reminders of my youth (which is long gone )

Kitchen towels.. A three pack of Plenty for £7 plus, I saw in Tesco last night??!! I never remember this type of product being remotely this expensive pre-Plandemic? Unaffordable for many on low incomes, I’d say.
I usually buy Regina ones as I find them better than Plenty. Only buy them when on special offer as far too dear otherwise.

Green shield stamps that brings back memories
My Mum had a blue and white patterned coffee set and a tea set she got with her stamps
She hardly used them as they were thin china so they stayed in the display cabinet where family members would oh and ahh over them 🤣
When she passed away aged 94 my brother and I sorted the house
Neither of us could get rid of the sets
So I still have the coffee set and he had the tea set
I’m am a bit old school and like to keep reminders of my youth (which is long gone )
My mum had willow pattern blue and white crockery. They were only cheap but looked exotic as they were a Chinese pattern. She had them for years, most had been thrown away by the time she died as they were old and cracked, they were used every day. A couple of side plates were OK and I couldn't throw them away. I never use them but they remind me of her.

Plenty used to be called Bounty. My wife asked me to get two double packs of Bounty when I went shopping. I brought her 16 chocolate bars. It was at that point her faith in my common sense ended.
Reminds me an old boss of mine who always got his secretary to go and buy his cigarettes. When his secretary was on holiday he asked the temp to get them. She asked him what ones. Benson and Hedges and if they haven’t got them anything would do. Woolworths out of stock of B&H.

To this day I don’t know if it was intentional or not, but she came back with an individual pork pie. This must’ve been around 1970 and even now it still makes me laugh.

My mum had willow pattern blue and white crockery. They were only cheap but looked exotic as they were a Chinese pattern. She had them for years, most had been thrown away by the time she died as they were old and cracked, they were used every day. A couple of side plates were OK and I couldn't throw them away. I never use them but they remind me of her.
🥰

Can I disagree?
I’ve been a professional watchmaker, fully qualified, for almost 20 years, and Hammy is better than me at identifying mechanisms. Oh, I know I’d get there in the end, but Hammy is so quick, and always accurate.
Don’t do yourself down, Hammy!

Yeah you can, but just this once. :ROFLMAO:

Unlike Peter V et al, I like to keep things real, just letting folks know, before they may take anything from my posts as fact when making a decision on a watch, that I'm no expert and a lot is just opinion, especially when it comes to quality, which unless we can have a good look at a watch (as you've said quite a few times, a watch can look good on the outside until you see the mess inside :ROFLMAO: ), can only be subjective opinion, yeah we can give a pretty good opinion based on experience, but it's still only an opinion.
Okay, identifying movements may be more factual than an opinion and a quite a bit easier, and I'm probably slightly quicker at it then some on here, mainly i believe from the experience of years of "the hunt" & "investigating" watches I've looked at buying or like, you learn all the different ways/places to search quickly for info. Most folks just buying a watch for everyday wear are going mainly on looks and branding, for me because I'm buying for collecting, looks/branding are important, but i also want every detail about the watch, the brand, specs, where it's made and by whom, do that for a few years and it becomes second nature where to find info. :)

Latest posts

Back