Random musings and general banter.

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

+1 any cooked meat that's pink is no good for me - unless its ham. If I ever go out and have a beef roast I always ask for the outside slices.

I do remember once sending back a steak and asking them to butterfly it to cook the inside quicker.
I got fed up sending steak back to be cooked properly. Now have chicken or very often the vegetarian option.

Agreed. Unlike a steak which can be rare in the middle, the bacteria is only on the outside.
Whereas a burger is minced meat which has taken the bacterial surface and mixed it up into the pattie, necessitating it be fully cooked through.
Exactly. You phrase it much better than I but that was I meaning.
I like all my food properly cooked, which is why we cook food, to make it easier to digest.

I also like my meat with a confirmed death certificate in place when it arrives on a plate from the kitchen. Yes, asking for steak 'well done' horrifies people like my partner who has eaten here and abroad in very posh restaurants for decades. She sees me essentially as ruining/cremating the steak - just because I don't want it jumping off the plate and trying to make it back past the the abattoir.... I got loads of problems in the south of France doing that. And in one particular restaurant in Menton, as a culinary punishment, I got some off-cuts of steak, burnt to a perfect crisp, and completely inedible. I now wear them as hiking boots as a reminder not to do that again - particularly in France.

Last edited:
I also like my meat with a confirmed death certificate in place when it arrives on a plate from the kitchen. Yes, asking for steak 'well done' horrifies people like my partner who has eaten here and abroad in very posh restaurants for decades. She sees me essentially as ruining/cremating the steak - just because I don't want it jumping off the plate and trying to make it back past the the abattoir.... I got loads of problems in the south of France doing that. And in one particular restaurant in Menton, as a culinary punishment, I got some off-cuts of steak, burnt to a perfect crisp, and completely inedible. I now wear them as hiking boots as a reminder not to do that again - particularly in France.
We have just returned from a 3 night stay at the Grand Hotel in York for our 30th Anniversary. It's a 5 star hotel, and very pricey. I had fillet steak last night, and I asked for it very well done, no emulsion, no garlic, and the staff cooked it to perfection, no questions asked. Sat next to Chrissie Hynde in the breakfast restaurant this morning, also saw Nish Kumar in there.

We have just returned from a 3 night stay at the Grand Hotel in York for our 30th Anniversary. It's a 5 star hotel, and very pricey. I had fillet steak last night, and I asked for it very well done, no emulsion, no garlic, and the staff cooked it to perfection, no questions asked. Sat next to Chrissie Hynde in the breakfast restaurant this morning, also saw Nish Kumar in there.
Wow, that sounds amazing. I love York but have never stayed anywhere posh. It's so nice to do these things for anniversaries, I'm a great believer in treating myself. I'm 60 in a couple of years time, maybe I'll go away somewhere nice for that

I'm keeping out of the steak conversation, you don't want to know how I like it🤭. However I do like it plain as well, no garlic or sauces. It's so nice when they give you exactly what you want.

Good to know the hotel has the celebrity seat of approval (as well as yourself!)

Caught a bit of Haute Couture La Marey with Mrs Vol-au-Vent. A polyester top with measurements of 70 x 1(one) cm. One size fits all if you’re either stick woman or extremely short🤣. That’s more the measurement for a narrow belt. They’re getting worse.

It's so nice to do these things for anniversaries, I'm a great believer in treating myself. I'm 60 in a couple of years time, maybe I'll go away somewhere nice for that

I'm keeping out of the steak conversation, you don't want to know how I like it🤭. However I do like it plain as well, no garlic or sauces. It's so nice when they give you exactly what you want.

My sister turned 60 last year and did just that.

Ahh, so hot pan drop it in and flip it over, done and served blue rare.

Latest posts

Back