Random musings and general banter.

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

As this is for random questions, here's one... I've suddenly started getting messages on here asking for money to support the space. Is this a scam?

Oh look, a mega closeout deal for the powerbank, which they have been unable to sell, hence why it is now on a closeout deal. The price is still too high, and I'm skeptical they'll sell many. It looks like the rear mirror with dash cam and crystal charging cables have already been on.

As this is for random questions, here's one... I've suddenly started getting messages on here asking for money to support the space. Is this a scam?
I've received a DM too. The person it is from only joined the site a couple of weeks ago. Seems dodgy to me.

I've received a DM too. The person it is from only joined the site a couple of weeks ago. Seems dodgy to me.
Thanks, that's what I wondered. After all, it's just a few opinions so why the need for money?

I signed up for £4 per month - is that what is being referenced? But I chose it via my account details section? I remember Graham starting the forum and joined around the same time. I did it on the basis of a thanks for all the hard work he put in developing the site, and as recognition for all the early days s…that he had to deal with in years gone by. But have now just read the forum is in new hands.

If Graham has gone why is the only post telling us this in this thread from a member who joined recently and has posted once?
If it were true surely the announcement would be on the front page and on more threads than just the Ideal World one?

Sadly I suspect this a very suspicious request for money / donations but I hope I am wrong.

It is a weird message I have received. I only joined in January and the message starts off with, You graciously signed up to the Supporting Member program sometime back, and it’s members like you that keep the community full steam ahead.

Exactly right. A mate of mine worked at an opticians over summer vacation from university. He said almost every designer pair was made by ‘Luxottica’, an Italian firm, now joined with the eye care group Essilor.
So Ralph Lauren, Ray-Ban, Oakley, Vogue Eyewear, Giorgio Armani, Brunello Cucinelli, Burberry, Chanel, Coach, Dolce&Gabbana, Ferrari, Michael Kors, Prada, Starck Biotech Paris, Swarovski, Tiffany & Co., Tory Burch and Versace.
All are really Luxottica.
Mind, he also said that the opticians paid between £3 and £20 for them, selling them on at between £50 and £150! That’s why they can afford to do small repairs for free. Supposedly the prescription frames are similar - with most designer pairs also coming from there.
Designer watches are similar, of course - just look at what the Fossil group makes!
Yes it was my optician in Specsavers who told me. I get thick frames to accommodate my lenses. The Tommy Hilfiger prescription sunglasses that I wanted to replace had just been discontinued and he said they had their own unbranded sunglasses frames that were made in the same place but were a lot cheaper, they looked identical.

Thanks, that's what I wondered. After all, it's just a few opinions so why the need for money?
It does cost money to host a site and register a domain every year, we're not talking a lot but it depends on what else is involved. But at the moment I don't trust random emails. If there was a post on the main site or somewhere legitimate I might believe it

It does cost money to host a site and register a domain every year, we're not talking a lot but it depends on what else is involved. But at the moment I don't trust random emails. If there was a post on the main site or somewhere legitimate I might believe it
I didn't get an email, I saw an invitation on the main site after I saw that the Duke had joined. It was only a few days ago.

I don’t know what others think, but personally I would prefer not to have the banner next to my name on here. I suppose in a sense, it has encouraged, or does encourage, other people to sign up, and I assume that’s why they do it. But I would’ve preferred to have donated anonymously, as it were, and not to have it emblazoned next to my username that I’m doing so

Every time I see that round bag I picture one of these water bottles

Attachments

• 1708697728946.jpeg
    1708697728946.jpeg
    263.3 KB · Views: 0
I don’t know what others think, but personally I would prefer not to have the banner next to my name on here. I suppose in a sense, it has encouraged, or does encourage, other people to sign up, and I assume that’s why they do it. But I would’ve preferred to have donated anonymously, as it were, and not to have it emblazoned next to my username that I’m doing so
I treated it as spam. I hadn't realised that was what the banner meant. I usually sign up to people's patreons. I got a couple of begging DMs on here, didn't believe they were real

Latest posts

Back