Random musings and general banter.

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Merly. Attitud.
It's embarrassing when someone tries to argue in broken English to complain about a company.
I wonder why you would take such a combative stance on this?

For many years IW has exemplified what many of us feel are the worst aspects of ‘selly-telly‘. The shilling of Chinese watches with absurd claims of their value, resilience and construction standards, the unmissable presentational style of sub-Larry Grayson, Peter Simon, I could go on…
The channel was once worthy of comparison with QVC, but was also a relatively staid viewing experience (except, possibly, for Steve Whatley). After the closure of Sit-up, the influx of presenters from there, (who couldn’t see the part they seem to have played in that channel’s own demise) really changed the tone. It (IW) became compulsive viewing, but not somewhere you’d ever buy from.
So why did we watch? For the same reason you’d watch two men sharing one parachute or a monkey playing tennis (copyright Steve Coogan). Because it was car crash television.
But also because we grew into a community ourselves around this rather strange channel. We never really liked their techniques, and that, plus their dreadful presentation skills drew us together as we watched. And we laughed, and noticed things, and gently satirised what we saw, and grew to become a community ourselves.

May I respectfully suggest that now you understand this, if our community is not to your taste, you seek one that is?

I’ve just caught the advert for Ideal World 2 these people are so ****** selfish.
My god so smug and entitled,not a care in the world.
Shame on them and shame on Create and Craft for employing them,it’s embarrassing same old crap about to be sold again.
Remember these people sold goods right to the end of the original Ideal World going bust.

I wonder what some of the presenters like Dawn Wheeler, Yannis etc think of their new colleagues past presenting record? Hayley West jumped ship to HobbyMaker very recently, perhaps she did not like the way things were going. Some of the craft companies on C&C lost lots of money when Julian Ballantyne’s Craft Channel went under, Dawn Bibby for one, I expect they are nervous about the future.

I wonder what some of the presenters like Dawn Wheeler, Yannis etc think of their new colleagues past presenting record? Hayley West jumped ship to HobbyMaker very recently, perhaps she did not like the way things were going. Some of the craft companies on C&C lost lots of money when Julian Ballantyne’s Craft Channel went under, Dawn Bibby for one, I expect they are nervous about the future.
I don’t know when I’ve seen them mention Shop Extra it’s like they’ve been forced to say it

Dawn Wheeler and Dawn Bibby have seen it all happen a few times, Nigel May leaving was the real shocker as he had been at create and craft and Ideal before that, The other day Martyn Parker seemed to distance himself from it all.

They all know what will happen,the culture of sensible selling will go out the window.
These four coming in will change the demographics of the channel.
I certainly think many of the Create and Craft presenters would be not have been happy,to see them walk through the door!
they are making it out to be a good thing, but u sense it’s through gritted teeth

Do these 4 include PS and MM?

I tried to watch the channel on freeview 85 but it was just a black screen.
No, they've not been mentioned.

Standard Freeview 85 is Create & Craft 8am to 10pm. After that it goes blank until 8am next day.

Red button on ch85 using a smart TV on internet will be the way to watch Shop Extra. I' ve not hooked mine up yet. But I don't think it launches until Aug 24 Thurs, but dunno if they are trialling some hours already on it?

In theory you'll also be able to watch SE on their website, C&C Extra from 6pm to 10pm and then C&C main channel from 10pm to 12am is it?

@Jazzydrury My Roku C&C TV app doesn't seem to have the live C&C Extra channel, only the main C&C one, unless it only is displayed when C&C Extra is broadcasting, if not 24/7?

No, they've not been mentioned.

Standard Freeview 85 is Create & Craft 8am to 10pm. After that it goes blank until 8am next day.

Red button on ch85 using a smart TV on internet will be the way to watch Shop Extra. I' ve not hooked mine up yet. But I don't think it launches until Aug 24 Thurs, but dunno if they are trialling some hours already on it?

In theory you'll also be able to watch SE on their website, C&C Extra from 6pm to 10pm and then C&C main channel from 10pm to 12am is it?

@Jazzydrury My Roku C&C TV app doesn't seem to have the live C&C Extra channel, only the main C&C one, unless it only is displayed when C&C Extra is broadcasting, if not 24/7?
C&C Extra runs repeats 24/7 strange

Did anybody watch the 1970s Supermarket last night. The food mentioned was mainly what you can still purchase now

I like Spam Fritters but found out to preserve it it’s covered in chemicals, and Angel Delight is full of chemicals
Skimmed through now. Didn't think much of that first episode. Could have done without the food scientist bloke, didn't tell us anything new.
Rusty Lee is good fun, but making spam fritters or crispy pancakes or whatever was a bit pointless. And a bit beneath her tbh. Apparently, crisps are crispier than other crispy things. No sh!t Sherlock...😲

As said in earlier post, spam is seeing a revival from COVID, home dwellers harking back to their cosy food from their youth. And trendy beardie hipster types, aka lumbertw@ts, (or lumbersexual), who think the irony of a spam sandwich is cool, trendy and history chic, to eat with their pricey bowl of café cornflakes down Shoreditch way... 🥴

What it should have concentrated on more was the growing supermarket wars in the 70s, Sainsbury vs. Tesco, etc. and the upstarts coming on the scene by then.

Out of interest, does anyone know the date of the first UK shopping channel broadcast. What decade was that? It's on the wiki but... 🐢🐵 (need a sloth emoji!)

Latest posts

Back