Random musings and general banter.

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Fair enough like I say I rarely see the shows and haven't done a dive into his history

"good salesman"

Gamages have had peak time slots on a shopping channel that sells a lot of stock for a good few years now with a product that everyone who would know on here says is practically worthless. So I will stick with that part

That's okay, it gave me a good laugh anyway. :)

Thing is he may sell a lot of watches on TJC, so you could say he's a good shopping telly salesman, but then that actually saying more about Shopping telly's average watch buyer than his salesmanship, IE most folks buying Gamages/ Swan & Edgar haven't a clue about watches and don't realise they are being deliberately misled into believing they are buying a far better quality watch with a huge saving, than they are actually getting. Conversely if you went to watch forums they take the mickey out of brands like Gamages and Swan & Edgar and wouldn't touch them with a barge pole.

Yep, the Matthey-Tissot one. Like that a lot. Day, date & chrono auto. I used to fly, so pilot watches/style appeal and is what got me interested in more decent quality watches initially.
(Also a peeve when an expensive watch or overpriced IW/fashion watch doesn't even have a date window).

But I never really got into the 'must have' IWC/Breitling, etc. mindset, despite their famed accuracy/quality. And the prices!

On your Joma link $800 US equates to about £630 which is far more affordable than IW's £1.2k+. What are the import taxes like, £30-£80 quid?
You can get the Tissot Le Locle 7750 for £800-ish now, but I don't like the old-style Roman numerals.

I might go the used eBay route to dip toe in first, one day.

Thanks for the TKmaxx tip also. They've got Traser (or 'Tras-aarrrr' as Seter Pimon insisted on repeatedly calling them🥴) and Mondaine for good prices compared to IW. Will keep an eye out.

Oh, I just saw a Tourbillon for only £85000 on one of those sites.... I'll have two! ⌚
🤪
Speaking entirely from my own experience I would avoid Mondaine, particularly there Stop2Go, which look great and i liked the 'station clpck' idea pause of the second hand. However it malfunctioned within a month, as did its replacement. I might have just been unlucky, but I've seen several posts from other buyers on different forums with the same problem, and i believe they have currently suspended production, just a friendly tip.... I've got on well with Roamer, Tissot & Tag Heuer if it helps 😊 although the last can be expensive, you can pick up bargains on ebay etc.

Like I said, 'only £85K' 😜
I knew you'd say that. Yeah, can go to £300k+ and more for top-end watches, if not £mills. Not my scene

Wow, AliExpress prices cheap compared to IW £1k+ Chinese Tourbillons, (obviously).

Is AliExpress 'legit/reliable'? Is it from their warehouses (like Amzn) or via 3rd party sellers like eBay?

I have only just tipped my toe in buying somethings I could only get from China on eBay, and cheaper, and was pleasantly surprised when they actually turned up, some via cargo container ship and some faster via airfreight surprisingly, in about 7days.

The speedpak/Orange Connect reliable shipping and parcel tracking system eBay setup for Chinese eBay sellers to be trusted works well, from what I have used.
Seeing my parcels tracked leave from Guangdong or Shenzhen, go via Hong Kong, airport, Heathrow to Royal Mail was cool! 😎
If you use Ali, use the official store of the make you want, ie pagani design, San Martin etc 👌personally, I like steinhart

If you use Ali, use the official store of the make you want, ie pagani design, San Martin etc 👌personally, I like steinhart
Thanks to all, Hammy, Savage, Ronzy, for the watch & Ali buying site info & advice.

Funny seeing all the watch buyers come out the woodwork on this forum and reveal themselves!

So, just curious, was it the TV Shopping watch shows that got you into watching IW/telly shopping channels, like me, or a happy coincidence?

Thanks Ronzy. Looked up Steinhart as not heard. Just found a Valjoux 7750 Pilot on the Steinhart site. I presume these are legit and not Chinese copies, or available cheaper from China, as you mentioned them in relation to Ali stores?

€960 equates to about £830 which is relatively good value for a 7750 from Europe.

Thanks to all, Hammy, Savage, Ronzy, for the watch & Ali buying site info & advice.

Funny seeing all the watch buyers come out the woodwork on this forum and reveal themselves!

So, just curious, was it the TV Shopping watch shows that got you into watching IW/telly shopping channels, like me, or a happy coincidence?
I 'happened' across IW when idly channel hopping some years back. I always remember they were selling/demonstrating a range of 'luxurious' watches such as Lamborghini etc i thought the watch i saw was one of the ugliest thing I'd ever seen! If it came near me I would have hit it with a hammer.....then I was introduced to the dulcet tone of PS.....and i was hooked 'in a disbelieving way' on future watch shows. I've spent my life in the music business which necessitates listening to a lot of b*******t, but i have to say PS is in the top 3 exponents I've ever come across! 😊

Watched QVC way back when it first started, bought a few things Hummel, No wet wonder foam (actually worked:ROFLMAO: ) couple of kahuna watches, but when the likes of Amazon, Ebay etc became popular the novelty wore off.

About 5 ago was looking for a certain Roamer watch and IW popped up in the search results, then saw they had watch shows, gave it a watch and the entertainment value was too much to miss, been watching since. Searched to see if anyone was discussing the shenanigans on IW shows and found this place.

Don't watch other channels, apart from 'V' channel (watch shows) for a wee while, too boring plus nothing on them i need or can't get elsewheres.

TJC Watch hour - Zoom Watchalong Live!!!

Watchalong tonight with TJC Watch hour 22:00.

Ok, I've taken the plunge and as an experiment have scheduled a Zoom call for tonight, for those who fancy joining and chatting, hopefully laughing too & commenting live on the TJC Watch hour.

I enjoyed the insta-comments on forum
, e.g. when EricK IW happened. This is a step further.

(If this is a bad idea, and forum-only anonymity preferred forever, let me know and I'll desist!?)

Suggestions:
- join as your Forum alias name, not your usual name or user on zoom.
- join audio only if you wish. I have enabled video also, if you want to use cam, or point/switch cam at your TV/device. Or wear a disguise/soft toy, etc !!!
- use the chat text feature to comment if don't wish to talk.
- I can screenshare the TJC live broadcast app if needed/useful.
- free zoom is 40mins max. I will restart meeting if timeout. Leave and rejoin it if it times out.

Testing: Meeting can be joined any time from now, I will be in on it testing now until 16:00 at least. Scheduled start is from 21:55.
Meeting details below. Link URL should get you straight in, but password is TJC if needed.

===

PhaedrusR is inviting you to a scheduled Zoom meeting.

Topic: PhaedrusR's Zoom Meeting - TJC Watchalong
Time: Jul 22, 2023 09:55 PM London

Join Zoom Meeting

Meeting ID: 853 3582 4546
Passcode: TJC

Hope to see/meet you there and hopefully have a laugh! 🤣

Thanks Ronzy. Looked up Steinhart as not heard. Just found a Valjoux 7750 Pilot on the Steinhart site. I presume these are legit and not Chinese copies, or available cheaper from China, as you mentioned them in relation to Ali stores?

€960 equates to about £830 which is relatively good value for a 7750 from Europe.

Ronzy has mentioned Steinhart watch with a Valjoux quite a few times in the past, usually in response to Kevski's claims on screen that it would be impossible for viewers to find a watch with a 7750 for less than what IW were charging, away from IW he said, you'd be paying many, many thousands for a 7750.:eek:

Although he was one of the better guests for giving watch specs, he came out with some amount of bullshit over the years. :ROFLMAO:

Steinhart are legit Swiss, German watches with sellita, ETA and some bespoke movements. I've hsd over 20. I currently have a nav b uhr 42mm chrono with a 7750, currently in for service, and a vintage chrono 2 white dial with a la joux perret movement 😎 I found this forum to vent my spleen instead of shouting at the telly on the watch shows. 😁

Attachments

• 20230702_133949.jpg
    20230702_133949.jpg
    183.9 KB · Views: 37
Nice. Was the painting just from the photo and/or in-person too? On Sky Arts they take ref photos despite being in room also.
Will she keep your painting, if was present/related.
It was from the photo. Increased in size from a4 print to 20x16 canvas.

I'm not sure what she thinks of it, as I never got a response. Probably didn't see it.

It is a birthday gift for my brother.

Just joined.

I started watching IW during Lockdown1, and found it very entertaining especially when other tv was very limited (little live sport).

I don't understand some comments on here suggesting that TJC is more honest than IW was. Chief Fields was an even bigger charlatan on TJC than his son James or the other fella (David?) were on IW. Chief Fields claim that there might not be any more Gamages skeleton watches because of the manufacturing costs hardly sits well with his Anthony James brand of predominantly skeleton watches which only ever cost £39.99. Also, for example, on IW both James and David got an on-air telling-off for falsely claiming that the day/night indicator was a moon phase complication. I haven't noticed any salesperson being told off on TJC.

Are the Vickers Armstrong watches on TJC from Fields Luxury? They look like S&E/Gamages but I couldn't make the connection on searching.

Hi found myself here when ideal stopped broadcasting and I was looking to see if I could find news.
been sitting reading the comments about QVCs mince pies so went for a look and couldn’t resist checking the price point per pie.
including postage it’s £4.90, i wouldn’t pay that for a six pack from M&S.

Can’t work out who on earth buys them.

Latest posts

Back