Random musings and general banter.

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

NH35A is Seiko Japan/Malaysia, not China, according to various sources:

And

About the Seiko NH35

and Time Module Inc. The movement is produced in Japan and Malaysia. Within the Seiko family of movements, the “NH” calibers are known as “Basic Mechanical Movements”, whereas the “NE” calibers are known as the “Premium Mechanical Movements”.5 Apr 2023
View attachment 26117
https://www.exquisitetimepieces.com › ...

15 BEST Watches Having Seiko NH35 (Reliable + Cost-Effective!)

Yeah, so they say.

Well i suppose we could take TMI at their word, you know eventually after questions being raised as to where these movements were being made and was it China? TMI kindly answered the question that those movements without country of origin are from Malaysia, the factory there produces two rotors one with country and one without.

Why?

Still it makes perfect economical sense for Time Module Inc in Hong Kong, in a country awash with watch movement manufacturing facilities, probably the cheapest place on the planet to make movements, to import movements from Malaysia to sell to Chinese wholesalers/retailers and watchmakers who then resell the movements or watches with the movements in them at rock bottom prices, especially compared to the rest of the watch movement & watchmaking world.
But hey i'm a highly skeptical, always have been and always will be especially when it comes to information supplied by the watch industry in Hong Kong/China.
But let just say that my skepticism has let me down on this occasion, then at best it's a Malaysian NH35a inside that CCCP watch and it's still not a Slava movement. :)

So where can I get a cheap/value Roamer automatic? Any other Swiss value automatics recommended?
Is Matthey-Tissot reasonable?

I have a Swiss made, Ronda quartz movement, but yet to dive into Swiss automatics.

I could go Tissot/Omega/Tag Heuer/Ebel, etc., but not feeling it at the moment and want to dip toe in a small way...?

What sort of price range are you looking at? Are you wanting a Swiss Brand or just Swiss made?

Cheapest avenue for Swiss brand or Swiss made watch would be on ebay, sometimes you can pick up a bargain or used but in really good condition watch, usually collectors either reducing collection or selling to raise funds to buy something else, but you'd have to be careful.

There are quite a few good online retailers, i've used these folks a few times often got sales on or reductions.

These folks are good, British company, but watches are Swiss made, good quality but not that cheap.

Also these folk, in the States but sometimes you'll get watches cheaper, even paying import duties, than you can buy here, i've got a couple of Mathey-Tissot from them, lot cheaper than IW prices.

Had to look up Provvies... I'd heard of 'pukka' doorstep lenders, that are not sharks, but interesting. Alas no more it seems:

Think Friends Provident were also the ones we'd get leaflets for down South to invest in a FP savings scheme, a bit like an ISA/guaranteed plan payout thing tax free, a bit like those fixed amount life insurance ads you see at tea-time for those seniors needig to cover funeral expenses.
Yeah. No checks, weekly payments, but huge interest.

I got one, paid it off then never again.

The so called family got my mam to get them one or two, paid 2 payments, then left her to pay the rest. Only after our dad died though.

I hit the roof and told them to pay up in no uncertain terms, lots of f's, b's and c's. They didn't like it, but I wasn't, and still not bothered.

My "family" are a bunch of wasters.

Yeah. C&A is Dutch, privately owned still. They just pulled out of UK after worsening trading conditions in the 80s. Still around much of Europe. I wiki'd them years ago when found the same abroad.

Stop me if you've heard this one before:

A guy walks up to his friend and says' 'why do you have' R' and' L' on your socks?'' He replies' 'So I know which is my left and which is my right''. 'Oh'' says the guy' 'Now I know why my wife has C and A written on her panties!''

(A golden oldie, sorry, couldn't resist for the maybe younger folks on here..)

I'm old and never heard that one before, so not just for the youngsters. (y)

TJC's next watch show is tomorrow (Saturday) at 10pm if you're missing your regular fix of watch tat, as with Ideal World it's a slot obviously intended to catch the post-pub crawl audience drunk enough to make expensive impulse purchases. This evening TJC were selling some awful rubbish at hugely inflated prices and I also saw a promo for 'Bali-inspired jewellery' which must mean they're made in China.

Also switched on Create and Craft for the first time in absolutely ages tonight and was shocked by the high pressure selling tactics they were using. Still nowhere near as bad as Ideal World but times must be hard for them as well; saying how much die size you can get for the price whilst showing some extremely mediocre-looking Tattered Lace dies isn't exactly that helpful and reeks of desperation. Also they're now very upfront about their owners being Hochanda Global, perhaps to emphasise that they no longer have anything to do with Ideal World which has gone bust?

TJC's next watch show is tomorrow (Saturday) at 10pm if you're missing your regular fix of watch tat, as with Ideal World it's a slot obviously intended to catch the post-pub crawl audience drunk enough to make expensive impulse purchases. This evening TJC were selling some awful rubbish at hugely inflated prices and I also saw a promo for 'Bali-inspired jewellery' which must mean they're made in China.

Also switched on Create and Craft for the first time in absolutely ages tonight and was shocked by the high pressure selling tactics they were using. Still nowhere near as bad as Ideal World but times must be hard for them as well; saying how much die size you can get for the price whilst showing some extremely mediocre-looking Tattered Lace dies isn't exactly that helpful and reeks of desperation. Also they're now very upfront about their owners being Hochanda Global, perhaps to emphasise that they no longer have anything to do with Ideal World which has gone bust?
Yes since IW went bust, you know see a promo from outside the warehouse with a Hochanda name plate on it

Seems very sensible to me you wouldn't want any association with Ideal World

Think somebody mentioned it earlier but when are they going to update the Freeview message on ideal world?

A few people out there maybe with no internet still thinking the thing will come back on at some point

Seems very sensible to me you wouldn't want any association with Ideal World

Think somebody mentioned it earlier but when are they going to update the Freeview message on ideal world?

A few people out there maybe with no internet still thinking the thing will come back on at some point
It took Sky about 9 hours to remove IW from there EPG, why is it taking Freeview so long, think most would have cottoned on

The first little mention of Ideal World (possibly) on TJC this evening was Anshu on air in a cheeky mood with Marina it suddenly got busier he couldn't work out why and then said to the producer "The I channel no still not back yet" :ROFLMAO:

What sort of price range are you looking at? Are you wanting a Swiss Brand or just Swiss made?

Cheapest avenue for Swiss brand or Swiss made watch would be on ebay, sometimes you can pick up a bargain or used but in really good condition watch, usually collectors either reducing collection or selling to raise funds to buy something else, but you'd have to be careful.

There are quite a few good online retailers, i've used these folks a few times often got sales on or reductions.

These folks are good, British company, but watches are Swiss made, good quality but not that cheap.

Also these folk, in the States but sometimes you'll get watches cheaper, even paying import duties, than you can buy here, i've got a couple of Mathey-Tissot from them, lot cheaper than IW prices.

Thanks for the links/info.

Well in stages, I suppose cheaper Swiss made first. With the functions and look I want.

And then later a Swiss brand made if fits all the bill. Not worried about brand names, more the functions and suitable look appeal.

For me, the ultimate watch is an automatic chronograph (i.e. built-in mechanical stopwatch & automatic powered) using the Valjoux 7750 movement. On IW, they used to sell the Matthey-Tissot version, and avi-8 I think, for around the £1.5k mark, a considered purchase, but I couldn't work out if good value or not. I think Tissot did one for about £600 so never pulled the trigger and purchased. It's just a nice aim to have, not essential.

I'm less concerned with having a Tourbillon, unless I became a proper collector.

I did know there were still branches abroad but I'd forgotten until you mentioned it. London had two huge branches in Oxford Street (now Primark) and one in Kensington that had a lovely cafe. I really miss C&A.

When I got my first job I got lots of new clothes in there. Happy memories, I miss C&A.
Yep, I, or my parents, got most of my clothes from C&A when a younger man.
Got my first suit from them too.
I thought of it as a level up in quality/style from BHS (British Home Stores), the closest alternative in those days, and would describe it now as an up-market Primark mixed with a bit of TKmaxx!
Was also sad to see them go. Our then C&A eventually became a Wilkinsons. I believe Primark (Associated British Foods) acquired many of the former C&A estate properties to establish Primark in the UK.

Glad you liked the joke; thought most had heard it from 'the comedians' back in the day. Oh to be so innocent and pure... 😚 (and one of you ex-job too, lol).

TJC I believe. Just saw a JBordell in a TJC trailer saying he'll be bringing watches to TJC. Not only Nubeo but also *Earnshaw* I saw, and others! 😲
Oh God no! does that mean I'll have to listen to all the crappy Earnshaw history of sailing round the world again.......I may have to have a large Jack Daniels to hand.....other brands are available.... 😊.....happy viewing everyone.....

Thanks for the links/info.

Well in stages, I suppose cheaper Swiss made first. With the functions and look I want.

And then later a Swiss brand made if fits all the bill. Not worried about brand names, more the functions and suitable look appeal.

For me, the ultimate watch is an automatic chronograph (i.e. built-in mechanical stopwatch & automatic powered) using the Valjoux 7750 movement. On IW, they used to sell the Matthey-Tissot version, and avi-8 I think, for around the £1.5k mark, a considered purchase, but I couldn't work out if good value or not. I think Tissot did one for about £600 so never pulled the trigger and purchased. It's just a nice aim to have, not essential.

I'm less concerned with having a Tourbillon, unless I became a proper collector.

Well probably best to take your time and keep searching through ebay / Chrono 24 / TKMaxx for any deals. Oh and i forgot to say every now and again TKMaxx have an odd Swiss watch bargain on their site.

Mathey-Tissot? Like this one?

Mathey-Tissot  'Type 21 Flyback Chronograph'  (Cal Valjoux 7750)12.jpg

I got mine from Jomashop, a bit cheaper than IW.

Although they are getting harder to get with a Valjoux 7750, they've a nice blue dial version now but it comes with a Landeron 77 movement instead.

The Swatch group brands like, Tissot, Certina , Hamilton, Mido etc will all have Automatic Chronographs with Valjoux variations in them, 7750 or 53 etc, ie in Hamilton watches the 7750 is named the H-21 movement.

Or this one which i picked up from TKMaxx for £600, has a Valjoux 7753 (although Hamilton call it H31)

Hamilton 'Khaki Pilot Pioneer' H76456955 {Cal H31 (Valjoux 7753)}.jpg

I'm not sure about getting a Tourbillon, nice to look at but not something I've really wanted to get, it's a function that's not needed in a wrist watch more for show really, plus the price of them you'd be restricted (unless your loaded;) ) to buying a Chinese one and then you have to think about servicing and the cost of that (something IW never mention during watch shows), which could end up being as expensive as the watch itself.

Latest posts

Back