Random musings and general banter.

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I’m getting withdrawal symptoms from not being able to switch to channel 51 to see if they were selling anything other than rattan furniture or air conditioners. I thought towards the end there was a bit more variety and I was tempted by a good deal on a Bissell Spotclean which turned out to be my last ever purchase.

I have dipped in and out of shopping telly since QVC started and watched a few channels come and go including Shop!, Bid TV and the Argos Shopping channel. I’m that sad I have started to dip in to HSN and QVC America on Youtube, though it seems to be constant Christmas stuff at the moment with Christmas In July. I think QVC UK did Christmas in July for a full week, but now it seems to be one day on July 25th.

I will miss Ideal World and hoped that a new buyer could be found and the channel given a relaunch, but it seems that the days of shopping telly are numbered.
Did you receive the Bissell Spotclean out of interest?

I wonder if the likes of S&E will start to feature on TJC, possibly even Vostok? Mind you if (Kevin?) is nearing retirement age, he might just take the IW closure as a natural point to retire?

Yeah, with Papa Fields already on TJC it seems likely S & E mat appear there, can't see any other route for them (apart from Amazon & Ebay), can't reputable watch retailers toughing them.

I'm wondering if he's already made the decision, looking at his Kids site, they're saying on their home page that they are the only UK based distributor for VE etc. Although Just4Watches Ltd & Watchbase UK Ltd shared the same premises etc, they were two separate companies so would make sense just to have the one company now and Reynolds senior could work at finding them other retail routes as well as their web site.

Unfortunately the channel has gone,hopefully all the behind the scenes staff will find new jobs soon.
I think everyone on this forum is sympathetic to your situation.
Shopping tv is outdated and unless you are qvc a multi million company,I don’t think many others will survive either.
No doubt some of the bid mob will turn up on another shopping channel,ready to take it down,their cv must be a interesting read😂

I think they are wiser not including their involvement. It’s like the grim reaper and his black eyed dog knocking on your studio door. Carry On Selling with all the dodgy double meanings and general 1970s rhetoric included.

What was he doing fronting that final day cleaning show? He‘s not daft, is he? He must have known it was on its knees? Just grabbing £250 plus VAT off them before it sunk? Payment up front, was it?

Last edited by a moderator:
What’s the rate? Not £10 an hour, I’m sure. If I asked him to turn up in my back garden and sell my guitar collection via live video link for an hour, I’m sure he’d charge me a few hundred quid at least.

I think with Wilson, it may have been the more honourable thing to do to decline the gig - given the gravity of the channel’s plight. You could equally argue: well someone has to do the job, and if he‘d declined, then somebody else would’ve taken it. The previous argument is based upon the premise that he knew that the channel was in serious trouble, by the way. I seriously doubt, though, he didn’t.

As a looooong time viewer of IW and long time poster, as always everything comes to an end, and just a special nod and thanks to a few superb posters on this forum, The Duke of Cheese, Hammy60, SiRich and Cheeky Chappy, Many thanks best wishes and best of health in the future.
I hope you stay, S C O. We need good posters to stay on board.

Latest posts

Back