Random musings and general banter.

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Yes, those watch experts can certainly be added to the presenters hall of shame. A bigger bunch of charlatans I have yet to see. That car crash of a farce of a mockery of a sham of show trial watch show with that idiot with There Tourette‘s and Ezza K. being the pinnacle of the unprofessional. You realise now the outrageous liberties they were taking with vulnerable people’s pockets.
I'd like to add Isles to that list of shame with his fantasy land demo of carpet cleaners and blue magic. In chef land, Brodel imo qualified as doing decent looking food, but the rest gave the impression that they wouldn't know a 'Heritage' chantenay from a Brussel sprout! creme egg in puff pastry anyone:sick:

Simon, Mason, Jacks, Robinson, Ryan, Von Boltless and Super Everything should all take a long hard look at themselves and their chosen methods of selling.
They don't care. They're salespeople at the (very) pushy end of the market. They'll prostitute themselves to any employer selling any old guff as long as they get the proverbial pay cheque. They're equally happy waxing lyrical about a £10k tier 1 product or a £5.99 tier 10 product.

And if you think about it (btw I'm NOT defending them just putting another view into the mix) why should they care? They're in a competitive media/sales market where honesty and integrity are never top of the list. Dog eat dog.

Trust me, they won't be taking a long hard look at themselves ;)

If they reappear I will sail down the Thames, naked, on a £10 note...
Now I genuinely don't know if I want IW to return or not?!?! 😜 Hahahaha... Does Cheese float?

Great banter in here guys. More power to your keyboards/fingers.

Btw, as not seen mention on thread, this is the current IW website banner:
IMG_20230706_151759.jpg

Gamages - not a great name brand, too much like damages.

Swan & Edgar - resurrected brand name of an old department store in London, re-applied to watches.

The watch shows interested me more than the home/fashion, along with tech.

Forgot to add that the Gamages brand as seen on TJC is also a resurrected brand of an old London department store:

That's an even older one than me!

I saw the Fields family, father and son on an early Swan & Edgar show on IW many moons ago. Seemed like a nice family business, 4th generation, but if they're made in China what do the family do- design their watch requirements, or have other businesses interests also?

been looking on site / forums for years, finally registered tonight
as idealworld is in administration, Gardenbargains (using same company registration number as ideal world) is still trading and taking orders
is that right?

site let me go to the payment page (did not complete for obvious reasons)
1688678333292.png

The watch shows interested me more than the home/fashion, along with tech.

Forgot to add that the Gamages brand as seen on TJC is also a resurrected brand of an old London department store:

That's an even older one than me!

I saw the Fields family, father and son on an early Swan & Edgar show on IW many moons ago. Seemed like a nice family business, 4th generation, but if they're made in China what do the family do- design their watch requirements, or have other businesses interests also?

They're probably the worst watch brand on IW & TJC for spouting absolute bullshit. They're watches are overpriced and some of the lowest quality on shopping TV. They don't design or make anything they just pick from various options offered by the Chinese watch wholesalers like these folk.

This early model on IW they claimed took 6 months to design, hand assemble by their expert watchmakers, sold around the £120 mark.
Swan 1.JPG

In reality the watch didn't need 6 months to design as it already exist, Swan & Edgar just went to the Chinese watch wholesalers and picked the watch from a catalogue and added their branding.

You can get the same watch for £27 direct from China and that's retail not the much lower wholesale price that Swan & Edgar would be paying.

swan 2.JPG

Well I’m already missing IW. It was my background noise while I would be reading on the couch and I’d keep an ear out for the next whopper being told. And like the Duke said, it’s been a source of humour in some dark times in my life.
Also, can I confess something? After my compost hadn’t been dispatched by the time the channel and website went down I requested and received a refund from PayPal. Two days later my compost was delivered. I mean, I’d contact them and explain the misunderstanding and offer payment but there’s no way of getting through to customer service!

We can have a competition as to where we think the usual suspects will end up🤔
Ok, to keep thread going, some Qs and musings:

1. Duke- is Reg (Varney) referring to PaulB, he looks/speaks a bit like him off of 'On the Buses'? (How old am I? 😬)

2. Where might they end up? Well, if not selling, PSimon strikes me as someone low-level 'reality' TV might want. Coach trip, celebrity come dine, Gogglebox, 4inaBed, Big brother, etc. He is watchable , for all the wrong reasons in that Barrymore mode. If he can modernise, then his camp, double-entendres might be entertaining, a bit like Brendan from Coach Trip. (I follow watch media, dip in/out). But I have a feeling they would have come knocking already, wiki says done a couple of odd TV things, but speculate that his off-screen persona might be a bit caustic and may not endear him to people for getting on in the industry? Or pantomime! But presumably retirement to... somewhere... beckons? He must surely be ok on the finances front.

I can see Becque on QVC. But he has plenty of other irons in the fire with media recording, life coaching, website creation, etc. And some of the smoother, stylish, less screamy women. MM, SRyan, dunno, possibly TJC in the right slot/time?

Ok, to keep thread going, some Qs and musings:

1. Duke- is Reg (Varney) referring to PaulB, he looks/speaks a bit like him off of 'On the Buses'? (How old am I? 😬)

2. Where might they end up? Well, if not selling, PSimon strikes me as someone low-level 'reality' TV might want. Coach trip, celebrity come dine, Gogglebox, 4inaBed, Big brother, etc. He is watchable , for all the wrong reasons in that Barrymore mode. If he can modernise, then his camp, double-entendres might be entertaining, a bit like Brendan from Coach Trip. (I follow watch media, dip in/out). But I have a feeling they would have come knocking already, wiki says done a couple of odd TV things, but speculate that his off-screen persona might be a bit caustic and may not endear him to people for getting on in the industry? Or pantomime! But presumably retirement to... somewhere... beckons? He must surely be ok on the finances front.

I can see Becque on QVC. But he has plenty of other irons in the fire with media recording, life coaching, website creation, etc. And some of the smoother, stylish, less screamy women. MM, SRyan, dunno, possibly TJC in the right slot/time?
Oh God help us, i can just imagine MM on TJC selling Moissanite rings (they come from an outer space comet yer know!) ...while he tells us for the millionth time about being a small kid given a telescope....

I always thought the story of a Simonicus Peterkins type figure would have made a great Play For Today (old BBC One series). The story of a once relatively successful TV entertainer, now reduced to plying his trade on a shopping television channel. Wheeling out seaside double entendres forty years past their best as he hawked elasticated rent a tents and broom handles, berating his ‘producer’ during the breaks for some slip up, telling them: “It wasn’t like this on Tyne Tees during my heyday.” Then going back to an empty flat in Lytham to look through old scrapbooks of his past career…

The presenters who worked right up to the end are the ones I have very little respect for. We can now be reasonably sure they would have known how much trouble the company was in and there was a strong chance (I won’t say they knew the goods would never arrive) that orders would not be fulfilled. At least those who didn’t, can now come away with a tad more dignity and a sense of knowing when enough was enough. You do wonder if a single Bissell vacuum cleaner at that ‘great price’ ever went out?

Where will they end up? Interesting to imagine? I think some are tainted by being at the presenting helm twice now of doomed shopping channels. Would another want to take them on? Robinson is pushing 70 and had been there for 20 plus years. She wasn’t exactly PC either at times. Would she want another gig? Ryan, again, with 23 years at the one channel. Would his ‘earnest’ style of selling suit elsewhere? Possibly. The woman who played the home interiors expert? Actually quite a talented musical theatre performer. Perhaps she can get a job more suiting but I think she could turn up on another channel. Rubber head and Super Great? Great talkers but again.. would they suit a QVC? No chance in my view. The rest? They merge into a raging see of mediocrity and in the shrinking market world of shopping television, you wonder where they would go? Now you know why you are a fool to ever leave QVC and very few who do ever return - Skin excepted. The one solid form of employment in this field.

Latest posts

Back