Random musings and general banter.

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

But I have learnt since that they are part of Rolex, and their watches pretty highly regarded. I also learnt that you cannot just walk into a shop and buy a new Rolex- you live and learn.
Good watches, Tudor. Sooner have one over a Rolex, everyone who can, has a Rolex. Tudor flys under the radar but every bit as good and not tainted by the 1000's of fake Rolex's out there😉🙂

Inadvertently (I assume), ‘Mike’ got shown for about two seconds. What is all that about? He looks like a young lad in a denim shirt with a thirty year old haircut (him, not the shirt) from around 1991. He is certainly no John Merrick, so why the visual blackout? There is absolutely nothing wrong with going into a Wendy burger bar and grabbing an ex member of Jesus Jones, paying him £50 and asking him to do a watch show!! Let the man be seen AND heard.

Inadvertently (I assume), ‘Mike’ got shown for about two seconds. What is all that about? He looks like a young lad in a denim shirt with a thirty year old haircut (him, not the shirt) from around 1991. He is certainly no John Merrick, so why the visual blackout? There is absolutely nothing wrong with going into a Wendy burger bar and grabbing an ex member of Jesus Jones, paying him £50 and asking him to do a watch show!! Let the man be seen AND heard.

After a little digging the so called S&E watch expert and information sheet reader was actually Simon peggs actor brother Mike Beckingham. (who!!!!).

After a little digging the so called S&E watch expert and information sheet reader was actually Simon peggs actor brother Mike Beckingham. (who!!!!).

Why was he even there? It was ****** obvious he doesn't know anything about watches and needed the script/fact sheets in front of him to say a few useless words about the watches.

Didn't think they could get any lower, but IW managed it, their watch shows are becoming even more farcical.

Now I understand why he wasn’t shown. Shame on them. Shame on them.
Saw some of that show including when he was briefly shown (by accident it now seems). Thought he was a cousin/nephew of one of the presenters, brought in at short notice as sickness cover and deliberately not shown because he was inexperienced. However the truth if anything is even worse.

Peter Simon doing well tonight, this is just in the first 15 minutes.

First dedicated VE show for 3 years - Bullshit, been shows this year dedicated to only VE, in fact there have been pick of the day VE only watch shows.

First time seeing Anchar for 3 1/2 years - Bullshit

IW only place with the Anchar in stock - Bullshit, quick search shows the American & German distributors have stock.

Milanese strap on the expedition costs you over £100 alone - Bullshit, current price is £45 (Kev Reynold's son's web site)

You can't buy the dry boxes - Bullshit, German distributor sells both smal and large VE dry boxes.

There is no way you can get anywhere near what is possible to achieve by selling items individually. I have sold a number of collectible items via eBay over the years. It is harder work than sending off a box to a company like Vintage Cash Cow; but by targeting buyers looking to keep, rather than just sell on job lots, of course you will make more- even after things like listing and final value fees or seller’s premium at traditional high street auction houses.
I agree. You can sell CDs, for example, on eBay and generally get anything from £2 upwards. The bulk purchasers like music magpie offer, literally, pennies for them.
Its just the same for real collectibles.
Im quickly coming to the conclusion that good advice on any subject at all is to do the exact opposite of whatever IW presenters claim.
Sorry to ramble on, I‘m now going to take my IW radiator for a walk.

Simon Peters is selling Nautilus watches. He has told us the brand name at least twenty times. Somebody should tell him the company has now changed its name to Nautis - probably as him saying ‘Nautilus’ was driving them mad. Are there no beginnings to his credibility?
I’m certain there have been legal issues there.
For years and years, Nautilus has been the name of Patek Phillipe‘s sport watches with the rounded octagonal face.
As surely the world’s most prestigious watch brand, I wouldn’t have thought Patek would take kindly to a selly telly brand using ‘their’ watches’ name…
You’d have thought all those watch experts they have as presenters and advisers would’ve known that, but like Kevski, their real knowledge of watches is very poor.

So many tacky looking unknown brands with fantasy RRPs. Having had to go down a watch replacement claim after my late father’s Breitling was damaged beyond economical repair, I have been looking at some decent watches - Omega being one make. You know a quality watch when you see one, and the stark difference with the sorts of bargain basement stuff you usually see on IW, but presented in an emperor’s new clothes style. In the end, I settled on a Tudor watch to ‘replace’ his. I had never even heard of Tudor in a watch context before now. But I have learnt since that they are part of Rolex, and their watches pretty highly regarded. I also learnt that you cannot just walk into a shop and buy a new Rolex- you live and learn.
Tudor are excellent - you’ll have got a real heirloom there.

Same here, Tudor, Omega or a quite a few other brands before Rolex, nothing wrong with Rolex, just not bought into the hype.
Agreed. I always wanted a Rolex until I saw the attitudes of the stores. In the end, as my retirement treat, I bought a nice Zenith. It feels like a proper sports car of a watch, and it’s one I can leave to my boy.

Oh, and don't pay retail for a CW, wait for the sales or use a valid code when published 😎 pop over to the CWE Facebook group 👍
Yes, or sign up on their website. They’ll start to send out catalogs and money off coupons that are usually worth £100.
Great, solid, workhorse watches, at good prices, with Swiss mechanisms (and one or two real manufacture ones as well), and some unusual designs. Christopher Ward are really all the things Ideal World claim about their brands - but for real.

pCfnF3X.jpg

So you're saying my heirloom isn't worth Jack?

I can't believe I fell for their patter.

Peter Simon doing well tonight, this is just in the first 15 minutes.

First dedicated VE show for 3 years - Bullshit, been shows this year dedicated to only VE, in fact there have been pick of the day VE only watch shows.

First time seeing Anchar for 3 1/2 years - Bullshit

IW only place with the Anchar in stock - Bullshit, quick search shows the American & German distributors have stock.

Milanese strap on the expedition costs you over £100 alone - Bullshit, current price is £45 (Kev Reynold's son's web site)

You can't buy the dry boxes - Bullshit, German distributor sells both smal and large VE dry boxes.
One thing he's an expert in, like most of them, is speaking complete and utter bullsh1t.

When they do the thing of mentioning the value of everything extra with the watch, do they not realise they're verbally devaluing the core product?

See this watch, right? You're getting it for £299.99, right? But listen, a tell it like it is me. You're also getting a free watch worth £199.99 in its own right. You're also getting a special edition mugs ... oops sorry collectors box that's worth £99.99. We're also throwing in a leather wallet worth £79.99 and cufflinks worth £89.99. Oh and an extra strap worth £49.99.

Muppets.

They had an Accurist watch show last night with beard for hair. The expert, I think, going on the sound of his voice (you rarely if ever saw him) was the guy who’d been on before and was actually from Accurist rather than another out of work actor with some cue cards. Keep Kissing Your Mask couldn’t really do much therefore so in terms of quoting Brothers Grimm RRPs. Accurist prices are pretty transparent throughout the net and their RRPs not set by the company at ludicrously high levels.

A decent, honest and long term brand (I had a couple of their watches in the late 1980s), Friendly Advice, was essentially stuck with one tactic - ’well, you’d worry, wouldn’t you if you had a really expensive watch on your wrist all the time’ or words to that effect. He may also have tried the old ’these could be confused with watches of a very expensive brand‘ routine, but I didn’t see all of the show, so cannot be sure on that one.

Along with an expert just wanting to focus on facts, The Fascinating Story of Jenny reminded me somewhat of Eric Cantona having to play out a match on one leg - his natural flamboyant game was kicked (literally) into touch.

Latest posts

Back